Celestion F12-X200 speaker

I was going to throw the speaker in another cabinet I had, but after looking up the published design, and reading the mechanics of a bass reflex speaker cabinet I realized there is a lot more science to frequency response and to sound "good". Also I have all the tools and my wife was recovering from surgery (which means tons of me time in the shed!). To be honest, I this is the first closed back cabinet that I have liked as my preference is always open backed for some reason. With both Cygnus and now this speaker, I need go through the presets again and see if anything steps out better.
Here's a good cabinet design PDF I pulled off a celestion blog. Interesting stuff but don't think it applies to the F12 since it's a hybrid. There's a ton of science involved that's beyond me lol

Attachments

• 109.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
The only hiccup/caveat I would say is that I have grown to like open back cabinets. The F12 is meant for a sealed cab. Has anyone tried it in an open back config, Celestion recommendations be damned? Curious on this.
Maybe this is why there's a port in the Celestion drawings...?

My understanding of open vs. closed back was also in how the lower frequencies were heard...?
I think a sealed ported cab is going to have a tighter bass response with a tuned low frequency response where an open back sounds reflect off whatever is behind the cab with a looser bass response.

Here is a good place to start
https://celestion.com/blog/open-back-or-closed-back-cabinet-which-is-for-me/

Of course since the f12 is basically a PA type hybrid they recommend a ported cab. Pretty sure a ported cab can damage regular guitar type speakers. I'm sure these guys tested the shit out of it.

I think a sealed ported cab is going to have a tighter bass response with a tuned low frequency response where an open back sounds reflect off whatever is behind the cab with a looser bass response.

Here is a good place to start
https://celestion.com/blog/open-back-or-closed-back-cabinet-which-is-for-me/

Of course since the f12 is basically a PA type hybrid they recommend a ported cab. Pretty sure a ported cab can damage regular guitar type speakers. I'm sure these guys tested the shit out of it.
I'm not sure why ports would damage a guitar speaker... here is a ported 2x12 guitar cab
1629497146464.png

Guitar speakers are not recommended for use in ported cabinets (as the increase in cone excursion below the tuning frequency can cause the thin paper edge of the cone to tear).

https://celestion.com/blog/thinking...ameters-to-design-a-guitar-speaker-cab-think/
This statement by Celestion seems quite strange to me as I have two 112 Ported Mesa Widebody cabs one with a stock made-for-mesa C90 speaker and the other with V30 that I put in after purchase but which the cab could be purchased with stock

This statement by Celestion seems quite strange to me as I have two 112 Ported Mesa Widebody cabs one with a stock made-for-mesa C90 speaker and the other with V30 that I put in after purchase but which the cab could be purchased with stock
Yeah that does not make sense.

Last edited:
I may be starting a shit storm here, but...

Birch plywood $$$
or
MDF $

The reason I ask is apparently Hi-Fi gurus do not want cab resonance. Tube amp players are like, "Yes Thank You!"
Considering the sound we are creating is that of a studio mic'ed cab, do we really want cab resonance? Isn't that already baked in to the IR? I don't really know. Just throwing it out there for y'all to learn me something.
MDF is about 40% heavier than birch ply of the same thickness. It also does not handle moisture exposure well at all. Definitely not my first choice for a cab that will be moved around a lot.

MDF is about 40% heavier than birch ply of the same thickness. It also does not handle moisture exposure well at all. Definitely not my first choice for a cab that will be moved around a lot.
I was also gonna not recommend MDF, but couldn't recall the exact reasons, cuz I don't work with it enough. But putting dollar signs next to it and Birch, implies trying save, what, $40 on a sheet? It's just not worth trying to be that money-conscious when we're talking about, what, half your sound? Of arguably the best-sounding modelers on the market... Kinda stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel. Plus, you'd already be realizing some savings by building them yourself, depending of course on the value of your own time. And then, some of us don't care about that at all, due to the enjoyment of building them yourself.
There's different factors to consider, but the price of a half sheet of Birch vs. MDF definitely shouldn't be one of them. There's a reason cabinetmakers use plywood for the boxes, MDF for the door/drawer raised panels, and wood for the face frames.

I was also gonna not recommend MDF, but couldn't recall the exact reasons, cuz I don't work with it enough. But putting dollar signs next to it and Birch, implies trying save, what, $40 on a sheet? It's just not worth trying to be that money-conscious when we're talking about, what, half your sound? Of arguably the best-sounding modelers on the market... Kinda stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel. Plus, you'd already be realizing some savings by building them yourself, depending of course on the value of your own time. And then, some of us don't care about that at all, due to the enjoyment of building them yourself.
There's different factors to consider, but the price of a half sheet of Birch vs. MDF definitely shouldn't be one of them. There's a reason cabinetmakers use plywood for the boxes, MDF for the door/drawer raised panels, and wood for the face frames.
Aside from the price, I think his point/question is interesting - does the IR captures the wood type of the cabinet? I always use birch ply or solid pine on cabinets, because it apparently sounds better. I did birch ply because celestion said to. Its possible the resonance of the wood is factored into the speaker (guessing).

Aside from the price, I think his point/question is interesting - does the IR captures the wood type of the cabinet? I always use birch ply or solid pine on cabinets, because it apparently sounds better. I did birch ply because celestion said to. Its possible the resonance of the wood is factored into the speaker (guessing).
Not just the wood type, but the shape of the box, via its internal reflections, affects the sound produced. It is also reflected in the impedance curve - that's what all the little lifts and bumps are in the more accurate impedance curves we got a few firmwares back....

So I just ordered one of these. Used so the price wasn't too bad. I am curious how the F12 does in a Thiel style cab.
L58349000000000-00-2000x2000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom