Celestion F12-X200 speaker

So I'm finally getting back to my project of building 2 enclosures for the F12 Celestions. I drew this today in Sketchup from the plans available online from Celestion, specifically for these speakers. I'm leaning toward building the floor wedges, since I believe they'd be more useful in a live setting, my thinking being that even sending a direct feed to FOH, I'd want some acoustic coupling for sustain/feedback. If anyone's interested, I'll post pics of the progress, along with notes as to how I go about constructing these, using all mitered corners.

Attachments

• Monitor and Cab.jpg
    Monitor and Cab.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 21
So I'm finally getting back to my project of building 2 enclosures for the F12 Celestions. I drew this today in Sketchup from the plans available online from Celestion, specifically for these speakers. I'm leaning toward building the floor wedges, since I believe they'd be more useful in a live setting, my thinking being that even sending a direct feed to FOH, I'd want some acoustic coupling for sustain/feedback. If anyone's interested, I'll post pics of the progress, along with notes as to how I go about constructing these, using all mitered corners.

That wedge looks interesting. Is the cabinet displacement based off the spec cab? Or is the design based on speaker design calculations? Curious because I’m almost done with my 1st cab. I’ll be building another after I build some stuff for my boss. Aka wife. A wedge is something I’m considering.

That wedge looks interesting. Is the cabinet displacement based off the spec cab? Or is the design based on speaker design calculations? Curious because I’m almost done with my 1st cab. I’ll be building another after I build some stuff for my boss. Aka wife. A wedge is something I’m considering.
I can't recall where I got those plans, and I was wrong about the wedges being for the F12-X200. But I'm going to build them anyway, and see how they sound.

I can't recall where I got those plans, and I was wrong about the wedges being for the F12-X200. But I'm going to build them anyway, and see how they sound.

Wish I knew more about speaker design. All the info is on the net. I don’t feel like learning the whole subject. Still, I might look into it a bit. And in the meantime I’m hoping someone comes up with F12 wedge design. I did look and found nothing.

Me too. But the specs on those speakers does mention they can be used in wedges. But apparently Celestion doesn't have build specs for one. I'm still going to build the wedges, but it may be a while before I can give results, because I'll need to get an amp that doesn't color the sound.
I would guess if you kept the internal volume and port dimensions the same as the celestion spec for the wedge it wouldn't matter.

Me too. But the specs on those speakers does mention they can be used in wedges. But apparently Celestion doesn't have build specs for one. I'm still going to build the wedges, but it may be a while before I can give results, because I'll need to get an amp that doesn't color the sound.

I built my cab with a slant back baffle. And adjusted dimensions so the box has close to the same volume as the spec cab. Should be done later this week. I suppose the same thing can be done with a wedge, same volume, same port size. Those wedge speakers aren’t that big, like the Xitones etc.

I’m loving this speaker right now, installed in an open back 112. Seriously, this speaker works great in regular cabs. Hoping the ported cab sounds better and has more punch. I bought a used Crown D class amp. Sounds great to me, but I have nothing to compare it to. If it’s coloring the sound it’s in a good way.

Bumping this old post, #25 in this thread. Has plans for a 12” coaxial wedge. Not the F12 but still a Celestion 12” full range speaker.
But these can sound really bad in an inappropriate cab. The F12 is fr but it's not flat it's more like a guitar speaker with a coaxial tweater.

I have been using a couple old Tech 21 Power Engines onstage for the last few months. They have the original Tech 21 speakers, not the Celestion 70/80’s. I’m planning on building the Celestion cabs for the F12 but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Still waiting on a Matrix power amp to arrive. In the meantime, I replaced one of the PE speakers with an F12 and played my first gig this weekend. That move alone improved the sound exponentially. It still has the sound of the PE cabinet, in which I don’t like, but the more it is turned up to stage volumes it doesn’t have as much effect on the sound. The sound of the cabinet is more prominent at lower volumes.
I would guess if you kept the internal volume and port dimensions the same as the celestion spec for the wedge it wouldn't matter.
I recall reading somewhere a response from Celestion saying this very thing. Can’t remember where I read it though. The shape of the cabinet isn’t as important as the volume and port.

Bumping this old post, #25 in this thread. Has plans for a 12” coaxial wedge. Not the F12 but still a Celestion 12” full range speaker.
That's the plans I drew the 3-D model from. It's the only one I could find. I'll check the internal volume, and see how close it is to the cabinet. (Nice thing about Sketchup, it'll do this for me without my having to do any calcs!

Ok, so here's what I found about the volume differences:
In CuCm: Cab- 52,200; Wedge- 49,302
In CuFt: Cab- 1.843; Wedge- 1.741

To make them match, all you'd need to do is raise the panel that the speaker mounts to up 13mm. If you still want the same look, add the same 13mm to the height of all the surrounding pieces.

I'm not going to worry about it, since I've already pulled all the dimensions from my drawing for a cut list. But what I may do is mount that panel a bit higher in the box. To be continued...

Just got in from my shop. Had to get things organized since I haven't worked in there for months, so I didn't get very far. But I determined the plywood I had scavenged from my last project that used Birch ply isn't going to be enough. I started cutting some pieces, but I'm not going any further until I go out a buy a sheet. Can't wait for the sticker shock!

Just got in from my shop. Had to get things organized since I haven't worked in there for months, so I didn't get very far. But I determined the plywood I had scavenged from my last project that used Birch ply isn't going to be enough. I started cutting some pieces, but I'm not going any further until I go out a buy a sheet. Can't wait for the sticker shock!

I paid $85 for a 5 X 5 sheet of 18mm recently. Inflation. Lumber in general is high right now. You building the wedge 1st?

Sweet! Let us know how it sounds when it’s done. I saw the the resonant frequency of that cab is lower than the stock F12 cab. They offer a couple of alternative port size options but no mention of how that will affect frequency. I like that cab design because of the dual angles available, plus vertical.

Well, its a guitar speaker so no real reason for Celestion to do a design for a floor monitor i think .. but honestly BIG kudos to them for giving even one reference design.

What us2d to be rocket science is now pretty straightforward as Its really only a few minutes task to enter the t/s parameters into WINLSD then a cab can be analyzed and designed in 10 mins tops.. but fwiw the response is insensitive to +/- a few litres of volume

Well, its a guitar speaker so no real reason for Celestion to do a design for a floor monitor i think .. but honestly BIG kudos to them for giving even one reference design.

What us2d to be rocket science is now pretty straightforward as Its really only a few minutes task to enter the t/s parameters into WINLSD then a cab can be analyzed and designed in 10 mins tops.. but fwiw the response is insensitive to +/- a few litres of volume
Except a lot of people like a monitor wedge with FRFR.

Back
Top Bottom