Celestion F12-X200 speaker

If you're only planning to buy 2 speakers, I'd recommend 2 separate cabs for the stereo effect.
Could do two 2x12's I guess, but that's starting to look like overkill. Yeah I think two 1x12 closed back cabs would be great. Put one on each side of my stage monitor (for my vocals and band mix), and put them in amp stands to angle up towards my ears.

And then there's the question of a power amp. I'd like a single rack space solid state and quiet running one. Matrix GT800FX seems like a great choice, but I would prefer to buy something I get can easily in Europe. Only thing I can find on Thomann that is anywhere close is the Palmer Macht 402.

Hmm hmmm

Palmer Macht 402
Palmer closed back 2x12

Could be a good backline solution if I just ditch the idea of going stereo on stage.

PS: Sorry for all the posts. Thinking out loud I guess.

And then there's the question of a power amp. I'd like a single rack space solid state and quiet running one. Matrix GT800FX seems like a great choice, but I would prefer to buy something I get can easily in Europe. Only thing I can find on Thomann that is anywhere close is the Palmer Macht 402.

Hmm hmmm

Palmer Macht 402
Palmer closed back 2x12

Could be a good backline solution if I just ditch the idea of going stereo on stage.

I own 2 Palmer 112 cabs and use them as my FR cabs. I closed up the back of them because I don't like open back cabs. I've also owned the Palmer Macht 402 and Matrix gt1000 and tested them side by side. Both of them sounded good but I preferred the feel of the Matrix. The Palmer amp is really cool because of the EQ and it works for guitar. The Palmer is also not very expensive so it's a great buy.

Hmm hmmm

Palmer Macht 402
Palmer closed back 2x12

Since you’re in Europe, try to get a Koch atr4502. I have one of them as well and i like it more than the matrix.

So I had my first practice with the updated F12 rig the other night.

I have one mounted in a 112 Vypr cab. Garbage board material; but decent sized "solid" cube. I ended up picking up a Camplifier 180 module. Made for the Kemper Toaster. I carved out a spot in the back panel to fit it. It did great. I ran it up loud and the power amp and speaker were actually a d@mn good match.

The only hiccup/caveat I would say is that I have grown to like open back cabinets. The F12 is meant for a sealed cab. Has anyone tried it in an open back config, Celestion recommendations be damned? Curious on this.

I would love to try a 2x12 version of this rig. Big issue is I don't want to go stereo and that ends up giving a 16ohm load. Which means I need a 1000 watt power amp to get 100 watts out of the d@mn thing. Not really. But you know what I mean. I feel like running them in series is always going to be a power problem without a massive power amp on hand.

So I had my first practice with the updated F12 rig the other night.

I have one mounted in a 112 Vypr cab. Garbage board material; but decent sized "solid" cube. I ended up picking up a Camplifier 180 module. Made for the Kemper Toaster. I carved out a spot in the back panel to fit it. It did great. I ran it up loud and the power amp and speaker were actually a d@mn good match.

The only hiccup/caveat I would say is that I have grown to like open back cabinets. The F12 is meant for a sealed cab. Has anyone tried it in an open back config, Celestion recommendations be damned? Curious on this.

I would love to try a 2x12 version of this rig. Big issue is I don't want to go stereo and that ends up giving a 16ohm load. Which means I need a 1000 watt power amp to get 100 watts out of the d@mn thing. Not really. But you know what I mean. I feel like running them in series is always going to be a power problem without a massive power amp on hand.
Why not wire 2 in parallel for a 4ohm load then? Assuming your amp can handle a 4ohm load.

Reactions: JTI
I want to get two these speakers and put them in 1x12 cabinets and run stereo. Not much of a DYI guy, so I'm not going to build cabs. Anyone know any cabs on the market that would work well? What about those Palmer unloaded 1x12 for instance? Not sure if closed or open back would be best.
I built the cabinet online and had my first band use with it last night (auditioned a keyboard player). I was pretty happy with the tone - felt like a real amp in the room. Attached are a couple room recordings - always open to eq tweak feedback. Im using a behringer inuke1000 until I can find a high power plate amp cheap to integrate into the cabinet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7iy0hw72dem29q/Are you GoingMyWaySA_Aug20wBen.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0688isf4f9bn0le/StealMyKissesSA_Aug20wBen.mp3?dl=0

Also contacted celestion about a wedge version and they said as long as the volume is right, it would be good. I calculated the internal volume (length*width*depth) as 52,000,00mm and drew this - hope to build it soon. The cuts will fit with 2 pieces of 2X4' 18MM birch ply.

Attachments

• HamboneFRFR Wood Cut.png
    HamboneFRFR Wood Cut.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 9
I emailed Celestion, and they said the speaker should be a good match for pretty much any cab. They said to try it in both open back and closed cabs and see what I prefer. I don't think that Celestion spec cab is all too important then. They probably just recommended it that way so you would get a bigger sound (more bass) out of a 1x12.

I emailed Celestion, and they said the speaker should be a good match for pretty much any cab. They said to try it in both open back and closed cabs and see what I prefer. I don't think that Celestion spec cab is all too important then. They probably just recommended it that way so you would get a bigger sound (more bass) out of a 1x12.
I don't know. Ive read a few posts where people weren't happy with it in non spec cabs and another where the guy was REALLY happy with it once he put it in a spec cab. I didn't want to chance it. I figured why not save some money and build a couple myself.

I may be starting a shit storm here, but...

Birch plywood $$$
or
MDF $

The reason I ask is apparently Hi-Fi gurus do not want cab resonance. Tube amp players are like, "Yes Thank You!"
Considering the sound we are creating is that of a studio mic'ed cab, do we really want cab resonance? Isn't that already baked in to the IR? I don't really know. Just throwing it out there for y'all to learn me something.

Last edited:

Birch plywood $$$
or
MDF $

The reason I ask is apparently Hi-Fi gurus do not want cab resonance. Tube amp players are like, "Yes Thank You!"
Considering the sound we are creating is that of a studio mic'ed cab, do we really want cab resonance? Isn't that already baked in to the IR? I don't really know. Just throwing it out there for y'all to learn me something.
They spec 18mm birch. My guess is that's part of the recipe to get that real amp feel. I don't think MDF would work as well. Would be a great test tho if someone wants to build an extra cab just to try it....I'm not doing it. Lol

I don't know. Ive read a few posts where people weren't happy with it in non spec cabs and another where the guy was REALLY happy with it once he put it in a spec cab. I didn't want to chance it. I figured why not save some money and build a couple myself.
Sure, I get it. Celestion themselves did a bunch of videos showcasing the speakers in all kinds of scenarios though. Sure seemed to work well in a 4x12 from what the guy was saying.

Sure, I get it. Celestion themselves did a bunch of videos showcasing the speakers in all kinds of scenarios though. Sure seemed to work well in a 4x12 from what the guy was saying.
If only I could talk the wife into buying 8 speakers and 2 4x12s...lol
4 speakers and 4 DIY 1x12s is all I can get permission for....and I'm still working on getting her to go for the last two cabs. Lol

Birch plywood $$$
or
MDF $

You make a really good point. If anyone finds out more information, please post in this thread. The birch ply cabinet definitely has a resonance to it, but I have no means or knowledge to measure it. I have a pine 112 cabinet that I was going to alter for this speaker, but it has a different sounding resonance to it - not sure if that is based on measurement or wood.

I was going to throw the speaker in another cabinet I had, but after looking up the published design, and reading the mechanics of a bass reflex speaker cabinet I realized there is a lot more science to frequency response and to sound "good". Also I have all the tools and my wife was recovering from surgery (which means tons of me time in the shed!). To be honest, I this is the first closed back cabinet that I have liked as my preference is always open backed for some reason. With both Cygnus and now this speaker, I need go through the presets again and see if anything steps out better.

Back
Top Bottom