Celestion F12-X200 speaker

Jealous? Nah. Well, maybe a bit. But I can crank my shit up any time I want! :guitar: šŸ¤˜ :p
I was joking...these kids are such a pain in the ass...I just hope it's not virtual class again this year. Trying to do online learning with a kindergartner that can't read was absolutely asinine.

$60 for the box
$150 for the speaker (amplified parts.com)

Get yourself a used rack amp and you got a REALLY great sounding budget FRFR solution. I still recommend running two of these in stereo.
Great job
šŸ¤˜šŸ˜œ
Im blaming you for talking me into this thing! It better sound good! Lol.

Will a rack amp fit? I want to have a grab and go unit and integrate itā€¦ How many watts to push the 200 watt 8ohm speaker?

Will a rack amp fit? I want to have a grab and go unit and integrate itā€¦ How many watts to push the 200 watt 8ohm speaker?
For grab and go you want a full range plate amp. Kind of pricey for the wattage you need. I have all kinds of room in my rack since I sold everything when I bought my axefx3. Here's a post from fractalaudio about powering this speaker Click here

It's 200watt rms 500watt peak @ 8ohm.
I'm running a 530watt per channel stereo rack amp that really only pushes 430watts before it clips....I run my amp gain around 2'oclock so I never even come close to clipping. Pretty sure I have enough power to drive 4 of these....I'm going to find out eventually šŸ¤˜šŸ˜œ

Im blaming you for talking me into this thing! It better sound good! Lol.

If by "fit," you mean installing in into the cab? If so, I'd wonder if doing so would affect the sound of the cab. If you do it, please let us know how it works out.

If by "fit," you mean installing in into the cab? If so, I'd wonder if doing so would affect the sound of the cab. If you do it, please let us know how it works out.
I just found a cheap but powerful Behringer rack amp. I dont know if I am going to hack the cabinet up for it vs wait to find a plate amp used (like the matrix gm50). I may modify the rack amp into a plate amp or just add a rack mount to the side of the cab for nowā€¦ need to figure out handles, input jack, feet, and if I want to tolex etcā€¦

Well, she is all put together. Sounds different than the headrush (which I thought was pretty good) at first blush. I will need to spend time in rehearsal to see how it goes as well as get a permanent amp before I tweak IR or EQ.

For finish, I will end up doing tolex to hide my not so awesome paint and finish work! Lol.

Attachments

• E0FDAE47-8037-4EF4-AB0C-EA4EC3005FC6.jpeg
    E0FDAE47-8037-4EF4-AB0C-EA4EC3005FC6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 01EFFE1F-9A47-498C-8C9C-4D8E865E188F.jpeg
    01EFFE1F-9A47-498C-8C9C-4D8E865E188F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 18D60160-DC5D-4D10-8030-74FF04669D60.jpeg
    18D60160-DC5D-4D10-8030-74FF04669D60.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 0F97B662-091D-4DF1-BA4F-2B958BFE3BE0.jpeg
    0F97B662-091D-4DF1-BA4F-2B958BFE3BE0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
Well, she is all put together. Sounds different than the headrush (which I thought was pretty good) at first blush. I will need to spend time in rehearsal to see how it goes as well as get a permanent amp before I tweak IR or EQ.

For finish, I will end up doing tolex to hide my not so awesome paint and finish work! Lol.
How did you attach the port to the wood?
And I like that basketweave, or whatever it's called. Nice work! Where'd you get it?

Awesome man. Play with it for a while then A/B it against your headrush. Especially at higher volumes. I won't be playing through my Headrush again. Lol
I also set the low resonant frequency at 75 in the amp block to match celestion's spec sheet.

Last edited:
How did you attach the port to the wood?
And I like that basketweave, or whatever it's called. Nice work! Where'd you get it?
I attached the port using wood filler. Not sure that is the right stuff, but I had it.

The grill cloth I had left over from other projects - I used to build tube amps and this color I think is oxblood - got it from mojotone. I had some 1/4ā€ ply left over from a stage props for my kids school and cut out the frame and stapled the fabric on it. Ill probably use velco in the corners to attach it. It looks a lot better if you wrap it with piping.

Awesome man. Play with it for a while then A/B it against your headrush. Especially at higher volumes. I won't be playing through my Headrush again. Lol
I also set the low resonant frequency at 75 in the amp block to match celestion's spec sheet.
Can you describe what you mean about setting the resonant frequency at 75?
Is there any adjustment to the port length/depth I need to make? Or does making it longer or shorter do anything? Ive only built open back combo cabinets from copying amps or plans onlineā€¦ new to ported stuff.

Is there any adjustment to the port length/depth I need to make? Or does making it longer or shorter do anything?
Changing the port length will change the bass response. Guys that build bass reflex boxes (which is what this is) will alot of times use adjustable length ports to "tune" their boxes. Subs like some SVS cylinders actually have multiple ports and come with plugs to select the different "tuning". I just followed the print. I trust celestion did all the testing and tuning when they designed it.

Changing the port length will change the bass response. Guys that build bass reflex boxes (which is what this is) will alot of times use adjustable length ports to "tune" their boxes. Subs like some SVS cylinders actually have multiple ports and come with plugs to select the different "tuning". I just followed the print. I trust celestion did all the testing and tuning when they designed it.
Very interesting - I am reading up on this now. I donā€™t understand what setting the amp block speaker resonance does (need it dumbed down) practically speaking. I will try and mess with it tomorrow.

Are there other settings in the cab block for the bass reflex cab specification/tuning that need to be made? I trust celestion tuned it, but I dont really even know what that means! Lol

Very interesting - I am reading up on this now. I donā€™t understand what setting the amp block speaker resonance does (need it dumbed down) practically speaking. I will try and mess with it tomorrow.

Are there other settings in the cab block for the bass reflex cab specification/tuning that need to be made? I trust celestion tuned it, but I dont really even know what that means! Lol
Seemed to tighten it up for me...I don't usually mess with all the parameters I don't understand but Leon todd did a video about setting the low resonant frequency for a regular guitar cab. When I read celestions spec sheet at 75 I figured best to match their specs. Let me know if you find anything else out.

Back
Top Bottom