Problem is when if I dont use cab sims, the distorition sound reeeaally bad (like not usable).Dunno why. Used the cut switch, and it help a tiny bit. Checked the global settings and eq and they were fine.
Despite criticism, I use a real map and a real cab with amp and cab sims on. I choose a cab block similar to my 4 x 12, set it to low res and pick my desired amps for clean, crunch, distortion, metal. In the amp block, I use low cut, turn bass down to around 1.5, change amp block speaker low res freq to 110, low res q to 2 and low resonance to 1, change cab block low cut to 110 and high cut to 5000, install a filter block in the front with a low cut of 110 and hi cut of 5000 or higher, depending on your cab setup. This has worked very well for me, getting

Big .. finally someone who uses ax like me .. honestly i did drlle test fr fr but sincerely nn does it for me .... i have a great sound with zero problems ... you use cabinets similar to v30 mesa and C90 mesa ... but nn always ... the sound is always beautiful ...

I had the same issue , also using a real cab. For me using depth parameter in the amp made a huge difference. Cab sims must be off when using real cab that is a fact or it gets to boomy indeed. A peq to boost a bit mid and lows and cut some of the high might help as well. Also in the amp the speaker tab the LFR is important try matching that with your cab.

Lotharion, you write that you have to play at low volume. Most real cabs (without cab modeling) will sound thin that way, that just how it works.

Enabling cab modeling may improve this at low volume levels, but with loss of authenticity, and with the risk of EQ-ing issues.

The best way to have crushing tones at home at low levels, is using studio monitors.

When using a Matrix, power amp modeling MUST be enabled.

Hopefully I get to borrow a couple of montitors soon. Yek: Power amp sim has been enabled when using the matrix. The Marshall power amp I mentioned earlier have been put up for sale

I only skimmed the thread, but going off what yek said about crushing tone at low volumes, I use a real cab and in the past when I had to keep volumes really low, I split the signal off the amp, one side into a PEQ with a low pass filter at like 9k or 10k, whatever sounds right for the amp. Then the other side into a cab block, with the low pass set real low like 1000 hz, then with the level dropped a ton, like -15db or more.

When it's solo'd, it basically sounds like the low rumble you get when there's a loud amp playing in the other room. Not loud, doesn't sound like it would make a difference, but it does add depth to the sound if you're using a real cab but have to keep volumes low.

I had the same issue , also using a real cab. For me using depth parameter in the amp made a huge difference. Cab sims must be off when using real cab that is a fact or it gets to boomy indeed. A peq to boost a bit mid and lows and cut some of the high might help as well. Also in the amp the speaker tab the LFR is important try matching that with your cab.
IMHO there really aren't any facts when it comes to the AXE, only suggestions. Any time, and I mean any time, I turn off cab blocks, it sounds worse than a pod. I have tried preset after preset. I've Eq'd 3 ways to hell and the sound is too sterile for me, fake if not a better word. Now I'n talking only for live loud performances. Recording studio may be different.
Coming from many years of playing through nothing but tube amps, 4 x 12 cabs and analog processors, my goal with the AXE has always been to make it sound so real that it is unbelievable. I've pretty much achieved that tone.

IMHO there really aren't any facts when it comes to the AXE, only suggestions. Any time, and I mean any time, I turn off cab blocks, it sounds worse than a pod. I have tried preset after preset. I've Eq'd 3 ways to hell and the sound is too sterile for me, fake if not a better word. Now I'n talking only for live loud performances. Recording studio may be different.
Coming from many years of playing through nothing but tube amps, 4 x 12 cabs and analog processors, my goal with the AXE has always been to make it sound so real that it is unbelievable. I've pretty much achieved that tone.
so , you use real cabs with cab sims on? I do agree when playing through my headset with cab sims on I get insane good sound that I can not get with a real cab.. But cab sims on and a real cab..did not work for me at gig level....It took me a while for finding a sweet spot that works with my real cabs ...I am considering to try the full FRFR one of these days....When there is a FOH it seems FRFR is the way to go and the modelling society seems to be unanimously agreeing on this (exceptions not taken in account :) ) ......but mostly I play in small venues and no FOH so I have to rely on my cab to make it happen...and here you have 2 camps..some say FRFR works others say ...nope not the way to go.... maybe a point to work on for FAS to see why this is and why a FRFR system does not satisfy all of them for back line , although it does for FOH... there must be a way..in the end its all about moving air and frequencies...nothing more.

Yes, I use a real cab with cab sims on. I use the AXE for live only, no recording.
However, cab sims on using a real amp and cab may never sound good with untouched factory presets. Of course I never liked many of the factory presets, the way they sounded to the FOH. I always assumed they were designed more for studio, as a lot of them sound great through in ears and studio monitors.
Shortly after getting the AXE, I read from many of the GURUS here, that you can use the presets as guidelines, but it is better to start from scratch. So that's what I did, I experimented and found amp and cab sims that work well together and tweaked from there. I always worked at gig level. Once I got the tone and gain I wanted, whether clean or heavy, I added effects, WAH, etc. I will say I noticed that using cab sims on, with my setup of a Mesa stereo tube power amp and 4 x 12 cab, introduced a lot of bass into the mix. So I used low cut and turned down the bass level to 2 in the amp block. I chose a cab sim that almost matched my real cab and then adjusted it to match closer. I adjusted the low and high cuts in the speaker section of the amp block and in the cab block to match my cabs specs. Boom, there it was. Using the real cab I have, my best eq cut settings were cut the lows at 110hz and the highs at 5 to 7k, depending on clean to distortion. Don't be afraid to experiment. The AXE has many surprises embedded in it's environment, just waiting to be used.

Haven't been through this whole thread but have you read the amp & cab quick reference guide? There is a lot of information on how to tackle problems like this, which controls to use...
I don't have the original link but it's in my dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eg01k3kqen7gqor/Axe-Fx-II-Amp_&_Cab_Quick_Reference.pdf?dl=0
Read it! Don't skip through parts you think aren't relevant. Read the whole thing up to the amp/cab summaries (about the first 9 pages).
If someone could post the original link that would be great as I can't guarantee it will stay on dropbox. Maybe I got it from the wiki???

Got myself a couple of monitors (KRK rokit 6 g3). It solved the boomy, but introduced another challenge. Distortion is all fizzy. Can get som good clean tones, but no rock/metal tones. Its like it add some gain somewhere. Its now guitar - axefx 2 - monitors. Using playback from computer the montiors sounds great. Input level is adjusted and have tried with an EVH stiped, a Les paul and a fender strat. Same result. Tips?

Got myself a couple of monitors (KRK rokit 6 g3). It solved the boomy, but introduced another challenge. Distortion is all fizzy. Can get som good clean tones, but no rock/metal tones. Its like it add some gain somewhere. Its now guitar - axefx 2 - monitors. Using playback from computer the montiors sounds great. Input level is adjusted and have tried with an EVH stiped, a Les paul and a fender strat. Same result. Tips?

Almost sounds like you have Cab Modeling (or Power Amp Modeling) or the Cab block disabled.

Almost sounds like you have Cab Modeling (or Power Amp Modeling) or the Cab block disabled.
This is what it sounds like to me. Definitely wanna make sure Power Amp modeling and cab modeling are enabled with the KRK's.
I don't know if you're set on the KRK's, but I've been using Yamaha HS5's for close to a year, and they sound great as FRFR monitoring. They're not too expensive either. $200 ea brand new, I got mine used (in almost new condition) for half that price in a local pawn shop.

I had KRK Rockit RP5s and they weren't great. A lot of low end so all my mixes ended up light on the bass. Fine for normal listening though.

Use the High Cut parameter in the Cab block. Try about 6000 to 7000 Hz for starters?

Remember, your are listening to the tone of a 'close miked' cab, not what it sounds like in person and off axis.;)

Since you're now using studio monitors, you should post your Preset so everyone can check it out and troubleshoot

Back
Top Bottom