lotharion

Just got my Axe Fx2. Sounds promising, but I got a really big problem with too much low end. If I turn off cab moddeling, all distrotion sound thin and fizzy. (Had same problem with the Ultra). If I leave it on, the Axe Fx sounds better, but very boomy (lack of better word). Power amp simp on or off doesnt fix it. It seems like it has too much low end and lacks clarity. Its really frustrating. Have tried with a Marshall 9100 power also, but same thing there. My rig is Axe Fx 2 - Matrix GT800FX - Marshall 1936v

Don't use cab sims if you're using a real cab (rather than FRFR). I recommend against using power amp sims if you're using a traditional power amp.

For the low-end problem, make sure you reset anything global or advanced. Then try using the Cut switch. Also mess with the Low Freq stuff in the Speaker page.

Does that help?

Problem is when if I dont use cab sims, the distorition sound reeeaally bad (like not usable).Dunno why. Used the cut switch, and it help a tiny bit. Checked the global settings and eq and they were fine.

Summarizing: When using your traditional guitar cab with cabinet-sims off, your tone sounds thin (little low end). When cabinet-sims are on in the same set up, your tone is boomy/muddy?

Have been going a little back and forth between the matrix and the marshall 9100. Power amp sim is ON when I test it with matrix and OFF when I use the Marshall. Still boomy. Starting to suspect the cab

When using "real guitar cabinets", the intended design of the product is that you turn Cab Modeling off.

If you are experiencing boominess then it could be the Low frequency resonance from your guitar cab, you need to dial it in under the amp block.

Highly suggest you read the technical notes on low-frequency resonance and how best to optimize for it. This varies from amp block to amp block, depending on where Cliff set it, however it is an arbitrary setting meant to be dialed in correctly for traditional guitar cabinet users.

As a sidenote, there are a few users here and still leave cab modeling on while using traditional guitar cabinets; again this is not the intended design use for the product. However it seems to work for them. As a traditional guitar cabinet user myself that is not my experience.

Hi, I use end valves and mesa boxes of different sizes, I keep the simulation turned on I have a great sound, I think you have to adjust well.....

The valves power amp And the real guitar cabinet for me is very nice solutions, settings in cab low and hig frequency...And risonance adjust..

Getting somewhere closer, but still have a lot of dialling to do. Anyone with a Marshall 1936v that can reccomend some good settings?

For me, volume is the equation here. If I'm playing low thru my matrix amp and Mesa 4x12 then I find that the tone is hollow even if I cranck up the low end but at gig volume it sounds right. I can't see how anyone could play thru a real cab with cab sims on at gig volume, the boom would knock you over lol.

You mentioned that you just got it. New or used? If it's new, ignore this paragraph. If it's used, try a System Reset Parameters because there's no telling what the previous owner did. Parameter Reset restores parameter values that may have been accidentally (or misguidedly) changed for the worse, or that were set for the previous owner's specific rig. It won't affect presets or user cabs.

It also wouldn't hurt to install the latest firmware.

Disable cab modeling. By comparison, everything will sound thin and fizzy after you've heard a cab model going into a real cab. Take a break before diving in again.

I don't have a 1936v, but I do have those speakers (V30s) in another 2x12 sealed cab. Play loud. The V30s (or any other guitar speaker, for that matter) need volume. On the other hand, FRFR speakers don't need a lot of volume (caveat: although FRFR will sound good at low volumes, you should still dial in presets at loud volumes if you're gigging).

Its used and I did a system reset. Dont gig as much and cant play to loud (renting apartment). Guess Ill have to keep dialing and read on the web. Maybe gonna invest in a FRFR speaker later

i'd say if you're playing pretty quietly, leave the poweramp modelling on, as the real poweramp won't be contributing much except colouration. definitely leave cab sims off. use the global eq to reduce the boomyness by simply pulling out some of the low frequencies

Had a chance to try out a Atomic Reactor 50 112 with my rig both with internal amp and in passive mode. It lacked something for me. Despite fighting the low end, the cab sounded more "right" to me. The last days I have been testing equipment and placement like crazy. Raising the cab 2 feet from the floor took away a good deal more of the problem. Cab directly on the floor seems so amplify the bass a lot in my apartment, In order to get the last bit, I just have to tweak some settings. It still however sounds best with cab sim on, but as long as it sounds good, I dont mind for now. Thanks for help, guys

What happens when you lower the bass frequencies on your presets in the cab block using either the bass knob or using one of the amp block EQ's pre power amp?

If you are still getting that boominess through your real cab, insert a PEQ block between the amp block and the cab block and dial down the boom from there.

Use a narrow Q and a boost at first to find the real cab's prime boom frequency (you can tell because it make the cab resonate when you find it).Then cut dB at that frequency until the boominess is gone. You may have to widen the Q on your cut to get rid of the resonance without punching an odd sounding frequency hole in your tone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom