Best "cover songs" to get the crowd onto the dance floor?

I dont think anyone has mentioned the Billy Idol version of Mony Mony yet. That one always seemed to work pretty well.

+1,000 ....

Especially if you had a rowdy croud that knew the "chant" !

Oh and .., Addicted to Love ( Robert Palmer ) ....

Our second set is a non-stop dance set where we challenge everybody to stay on the floor for the whole set. We don't break between song and shorten the arrangement of some of the songs. We call it the Nitro set.

What I like about you
I want you to want me
I wanna be Sedated
I'll be there for you
Should I stay or should I go
Play that funky music
Enter Sandman
Smells like teen spirit
You really got me - van halen version
My Sharona with the 2:30 minute guitar solo
I'm a believer - smash mouth version
Message in a bottle
Rock n Roll all night
New Sensation
"Mony, Mony" - this one goes over the best unfortunately

Killing in the Name - RATM

Although I'm not sure it would qualify for 'dancing'. Probably more of an epileptic seizure. :lol

So many different ones that go over well..... I agree with most of what has been listed

Difference between ......great songs that the girls will get up and dance to ......and then great songs where the crowd goes "I can't believe you guys just pulled that off!"

We pull off a lot of the ones mentioned but personally I love going after the ones where people are just shocked that you pulled it off live....and it goes over well.

Difference between songs that the girls will dance to and the songs where the crowd goes "I can't believe you guys just pulled that off!"
I love going after the ones where people are just shocked that you pulled it off live....and it goes over well.

Here are some of the songs that we're currently getting that type of response. Not really all that technical, but fun and still satisfying.

Killing in the Name - RATM
Down - 311
Epic - Faith No More
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
No Sleep 'til Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
The Distance - CAKE
No One Knows - QOTSA
Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie

Previous bands:
Coming at You Live - Tesla
Roller - April Wine
What's on My Mind - Kansas
Can't Slow Down - Satriani
Zeppelin medley's

Last edited:
Here's some songs which seems to always work with my cover bands here in Mauritius :
Wonderwall
Don't look back in anger
Enter Sandman
Smells like teen spirit
Where the streets have no name
With or without you
Sunday bloody Sunday
Boulevard of broken dreams
Angel
Summer of 69
Sweet child o'mine
Mr Jones
Losing my religion

I'm surprised that no one has listed Brown Sugar
cos it's really well known, nice and lively and bags of fun
and you could jam it out to make it as long or short as you'd want

We're adding this song next week. I bet it will go over really well. Especially if we dance as well as these guys.

I like this song, it's got a Police Vibe going on with it. Adam do you have a brass section, or do you use keyboards for that stuff?

I'm gearing up for Easter right now and we have this Brass section playing with us, I love working with the brass guys.

No brass section. No keys. Just lead guitar and rhythm guitar.

I'll probably have the rhythm guitar player do the U2 sounding delayed bit in the chorus and I'll arrange the horn/synth part on a patch blending some synth with distorted guitar.

Back
Top Bottom