Best "cover songs" to get the crowd onto the dance floor?

Our band has had some success over the years by adding some Modern/Classic Pop songs.

Biggest hits for now are:

Beat it, Black or White, Cake by the Ocean, Can't Stop the Feeling, December 1963, Feel it Still, Honey I'm Good, I Can't Feel My Face, I Want You Back, New Sensation, September, Shut Up and Dance, S.O.B., Uptown Funk, Your Love.

For Rock songs you really can't go wrong with Journey and Bon Jovi. Also getting good responses to Toto songs (Hold the Line, Rosanna).

Pretty much any of the popular punk rock songs work very well for us. Plus Foo Fighters, especially The Pretender. Our audience is usually between 25-40 years old as far as I can tell (you don't see the folks in the back of the room).

We're doing mostly 90's and a bunch of 2000's rock with a smattering of classics to get the dancing going when we have to.

Gold on the Ceiling
Rebel Yell
Harder to Breathe
Aint talkin bout love
She sells sanctuary
Anything by the Hip (in Canada)

Those are a bunch that as musicians we enjoy playing and we get a response every time. Rebel Yell is a great set ender...

Try "Uptown Funk!". It should lend itself to a small section band. Just rock out on the horn parts with some cool guitar riffs. The rest sounds pretty easy with a slick bass line and a funk guitar riff.
I bet folks would dig a rocking version.
Just a thought

We do Get Lucky into Uptown Funk together and it always works. The anthems that always get people on the dance floor singing along are Sex On Fire, Mr Brightside, Livin' On A Prayer and Chelsea Dagger.

I only wish we could do some of the ones in this thread. I would love to rock out more than we do :(

For a 40-50-something crowd of white folk, Start Me Up. As soon as those intro guitar chords ring out, the women start shaking that booty. HOWEVER, you will rue the day this song made it into your set list, and you may seriously consider outsourcing the main guitar part to a trained baboon. It's that simple and boring.

Back
Top Bottom