Best "cover songs" to get the crowd onto the dance floor?

We play bars with younger crowds. Right now, "Call Me Maybe" and "Somebody I used to Know" are can't miss tunes. In a year everybody will be sick of them.

Such is the struggle with a top 40 band. We used to do really popular stuff like Lady Gaga, but crowds are pretty fickle. You have to constantly be updating the set list to keep up. We still do a few: "Forget You" Ceelo Green, "Pumped up kicks" Foster the People, "Lazy Song" Bruno Mars, but they're dying very quickly.

The trick is to play what the chicks like to dance to and not what you like to play.
What he said --
Jessie's girl
George Michael - Faith
Queen - crazy little thing called love
Brown eyed girl (oh..somebody shoot me!)
867-5309
INXS - need you tonight
blister in the sun

Unbelievable, but they still dance to that stuff everywhere I gig, and that spans white trash to country clubs to "look at me" yuppie bars.

Another from cheese-ville for chicks, works for guys too
Devo - whip it

And depending on the venue
Elvis
Buddy Holly
This one is coming back strong "Roll over Beethoven"
Brick House
Cameo - Word Up

Just realized I'm getting really burned out on my party songs. It doesn't help that yesterday's gig was 5+ hours at the end of a 4-gig week.

More ideas please!

Last edited:
I dont think anyone has mentioned the Billy Idol version of Mony Mony yet. That one always seemed to work pretty well.

I dont think anyone has mentioned the Billy Idol version of Mony Mony yet. That one always seemed to work pretty well.
I think my ears just barfed. I OD'd on that so bad in road bands...I can never go back there! You can't make me!!!

I just downloaded spotify's free app https://www.spotify.com/us/get-spotify/overview/
The top 100 might be a source once you filter out the teen pop crap, which is most of the list. Does anyone know if there's a spotify top list for alt rock, new rock, or at least something with guitars in it? LOL

There are one or two venues (pubs) in my locale which have started booking covers bands again after many years with no live entertainment, and are mainly frequented by people in their early twenties. Now, I noticed that no matter who they book, the reaction from the locals is one of bemusement.

It's clear that most of them have never even seen a live band perform before. Those 'in-the-know' punters that have done seem to expect a live band to be exactly like Oasis. If they don't sound like that, then oh, more bemusement. Over the course of an evening, not only the dancefloor clears, but the pub itself, leaving only a handful of forty-somethings who 'get' it. It would appear that in this area there is a whole generation who just don't 'get' live music. They are totally at home once the jukebox goes on, so it's more like a nightclub atmosphere. That's kind of what they know. I know it's a sweeping generalisation, but It's a real shame, and it's not really their fault, just what they are (or aren't) musically exposed to from a young age.

A couple of songs which always work (rock-minded audiences in Europe):

Centerfold - J Geils Band
Don’t you forget about me – The Simple Minds
Should I stay or should I go – The Clash
Somebody to love - Queen
Highway to hell - AC/DC
Walk this way - Aerosmith / Run DMC
Sex on fire - Kings of Leon
Are you gonna go my way - Lenny Kravitz
Always on the run - Lenny Kravitz
Angels - Robbie Williams
Rock DJ -Robbie Williams
Proud Mary - Tina Turner

We try to mix it up but the ones I've noticed that do well:

ACDC - You Shook me
Cee Lo
Lady Gaga - we do a medley complete with cartman sample of poker face
Pink - Rock star
No Doubt - Hella Good
VH - Unchained
Faith no More - Epic
Iron Maiden - Run to the hills

Or course it always depends on the crowd but generally those go over well. Looking for more ideas all the time so I'm diggin this thread.

Looks like lots of us cover band folks play the same stuff.

Anyhow, never a sure thing but these are movers for us more often than not:
Centerfold
Should I stay or should I go
Hot Stuff
867-5309
What I Like about You
I wanna be sedated
Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Gimmie Three Steps

Some of the other bands that play the same spots we do seem to have pretty good envolvment with these:
Brick House
Play the Funky Music
Car Wash
Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy
East Bound and Down
Black Magic Woman

maybe cover of the band nacklebrick -- post on this forum said that they use axe-fx so should be able to get the tone nailed.

A few more than never fail to get people dancing

Blister in the Sun
Laid
Harder to Breathe
Rock this Town
Small things

Having read this entire thread - it's been stated that it depends on venue and crowd age.
Heck there's enough "best cover songs" listed here for ANY band to cover THREE sets !! LOL.
Perhaps the cover bands should use this list as a starting point....

My current cover band is a busy Country band - just finished 5 gigs in 8 days and put 500+ miles on my truck, and church on Sunday. Our frontman was selected for X-Factor finals boot camp this year and we're booked most Fri/Sat nights up to and including New Year - and it's ONLY August. That has never happened in any rock band I've been in.

We play Top-40 country, interspersed with classic country hits from King George, Merle and others, plus classic/southern rock (skynyrd,etc.) hits. But here's the amazing thing... not matter the age of the crowd, or how "cowboy" (boots, hat, jeans, belt-buckle) they are... the following tunes will fill the floor during breaks

Wobble
Cupid Shuffle !!

Go figure.. :roll

... Mustang Sally??...
bush-shoe-emoticon.gif

There are songs that people will always dance to and then there are songs that will drag people out of their seats.
My band plays a lot of modern, pop-rock material. Mostly 90's to current day type stuff.
Our sure fire dance songs are:

- Play that Funky Music - Wildcherry
- I'm A Believer - Smashmouth version
- Billie Jean - MJ
- Are you gona Be My girl - Jet
- You Shook Me all Night Long - ACDC
- Home For a Rest - Spirit of The West
- Santeria - Sublime

We play bars with younger crowds. Right now, "Call Me Maybe" and "Somebody I used to Know" are can't miss tunes. In a year everybody will be sick of them.

I'm gonna hazard saying that I think "Somebody I Used to Know" is a legitimately good song that I hope sticks around.

Earth wind and fire?!
junior senior - move your feet (did a cover of that once and it was wild)

Id say, any older funky song or newer pop songs on the radio is a safe bet.

Somebody i used to know? Is that the annoying gotye song? For some reasons i can only imagine people crying to that song. Definitely not dancing...

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom