AxeFX II Clips Master List

Here is a quickly of the new delay. Kind of a hybrid sound. The end shows the runaway delay. Can definitely get better than this but will get the point what you can do by just dialing in the tape delay type and tweaking a couple a parameters quickly.

Now THAT sounds analog! Wonderful thickness and warmth to the delay repeats.

Here is another delay clip. This uses the sweep delay. No complicated routings just messing with parameters in the delay bock with the sweep type.

Just some thoughts and contemplation.

First: all clips made with the II sound great. Thanks for that.

I'm not gabber blasted though, I'm not hearing earth-shattering improvements when compared to current units with fw 11. Which is no surprise and no disappointment, because the current Standard/Ultra already sounds SO good, especially with fw 11, so that's my reference and don't shoot me.

Still, the beta testers are very enthusiastic about the tone of the II. I've seen Scott write that while the Standard/Ultra is good the II is great. Surely it also has to do with "feeling" the II when playing, not just "listening". (A scene from White Men Can't Jump comes to mind: "you need to HEAR Jimi...") And I have no doubt that there will be noticeable improvements when playing it yourself.

Then it came to me: is it possible that you beta testers haven't played your Standard/Ultras with firmware 11 at all? Which would indicate that you are comparing the II to 10.x-experiences? Then I would understand completely, looking at the very positive views (incl. my own) on fw 11.

As I said, just some thoughts, no criticism.

Last edited:

I'm not gabber blasted though, I'm not hearing earth-shattering improvements when compared to current units with fw 11. Which is no surprise and no disappointment, because the current Standard/Ultra already sounds SO good, especially with fw 11, so that's my reference and don't shoot me.

Still, the beta testers are very enthusiastic about the tone of the II. I've seen Scott write that while the Standard/Ultra is good the II is great. Surely it also has to do with "feeling" the II when playing, not just "listening". (A scene from White Men Can't Jump comes to mind: "you need to HEAR Jimi...") And I have no doubt that there will be noticeable improvements when playing it yourself.

Then it came to me: is it possible that you beta testers haven't played your Standard/Ultras with firmware 11 at all? Which would indicate that you are comparing the II to 10.x-experiences? Then I would understand completely, looking at the very positive views (incl. my own) on fw 11.

Alexander,

I understand what you are saying and trust me, I know. I was very skeptical before I actually tried this box. I had my Ultra totally - and I mean *totally* - dialed in. I was 100%+ satisfied and honestly felt the Axe-FX II - for all the power, all the new modeling, all.... everything would just be an Ultra in a more powerful box. I was upset, like sinking feeling in my stomach, that I would not be able to directly port over my Ultra presets to the II.

Just really know this from my point of view (and yes, I know what a buffoon I seem like when I type these things); when we hear clips, we hear what we want to hear. But after 5 minutes with the II, you'll *KNOW* beyond any doubt that this is a very different kettle of fish. There's no need to drop your perfectly dialed Ultra presets into this box because nothing will 'match' up. You won't even want to. Dialing up even sophisticated patches is simple/fast/efficient. Workflow is dramatically improved. Dialing up tones is stunning.

Do me one favor: beg, borrow or steal a chance to sit with one of these once they are released. You won't need 30 days, or two weeks to 'scratch the surface'. You could be a total noob with this box, once you understand the grid and signal flow... it'll take 30 seconds to blow your mind, and less than 5 minutes to flip your whole world upside down.

The Axe-FX II isn't just a prettier woman than you current wife. This will be marked as a pivotal watershed moment in modeling history. This reads like I'm an insane zombie under mind control - but you'll say, "Wow............." and that'll be that. You won't understand this box until you've used this box. It'll hit you like lightening.

Last edited:

I have been playing w/ 11 side by side. I'll tell you this much. No one has had any time to put into serious new patches. We have all been extremely busy. Things are calming down a bit now, at least for me. As far as the amps are concerned. How close was the Standard/Ultra sound to their respective amps. As far as accuracy, it can only come a maximum of that. There have been plenty of clips around here of the Axe-fx where people liked it better than the real deal compared side-by-side. That being said, you are correct A LOT of it comes from the feel department and how it reacts dynamically. Three things hit me about the II and amp modelling:

1. More powerful low end w/o the flubbiness. You can really get that in your chest thump with much less effort.
2. Dynamics - playing softly, volume rolled back, and playing with you fingers all react even better than before (subtlies in attack/bloom are easier to achieve)
3. Harmonic content - seems a bit less static/more complex. It is a subtle thing but you notice it when you compre the two side-by-side and let a chord just ring out.

Now none of these thing diminish how good the standard/ultra sounded before. They are not akin to changes going from a vAmp to a Axe-fx. It is much more subtle than that. It is very noticeable. And how it responds to your playing is readily apparent.
Add to this, it is much easier to dial in the amps. Less EQ (if needed there is one built right into the amp block), raw amps just sound better out of the gate (IMO). New features like input trim, geq, X/Y, etc. make dialing in a tone faster.

I hope that makes some sense. So the changes in tone are not earth shattering but the are noticeable. The changes in dynamics are very apparent when you play. Dialing is faster and simpler. These thing start adding up to a much improved (IMO) experience. Enough so that when I palyed the first chord on the thing, it just brought a huge smile to my face. That didn't happen on the Ultra (It took a 1/2 hour or so ;) )

I will say this. You are NOT guaranteed to get the exact tone you had on the Ultra/Standard on the II. Many of the models are different. I decided after wasting a bunch on time trying to copy my presets exactly that is was not a very productive way of doing things. I used the old patches as visual templates and built things from the ground up. It is working a lot better that way. I only have a few of my presets ported over though. There has been much time for that until now.

Last edited:
I didn't need to be reasured but yet I am and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one!
Thanks Scott for your understanding and honesty. It sounds awesome for sure, great anticipation building up here.
Already talked with Winger to get over to his place, if he gets one before I do. He doesn't know yet that I'll stay a week!

And tonight I'm gonna tell my girlfriend that there's a prettier woman in town. She's balanced, in unity, can do things at the time, is impulsive and into modeling. Not too sure about that vacuum tube thing though.

Already talked with Winger to get over to his place, if he gets one before I do. He doesn't know yet that I'll stay a week!
Bring the Matrix and/or FBT then. And let me play a bit to while you're here. ;-)

Reactions: yek
I have been playing w/ 11 side by side. I'll tell you this much. No one has had any time to put into serious new patches. We have all been extremely busy. Things are calming down a bit now, at least for me. As far as the amps are concerned. How close was the Standard/Ultra sound to their respective amps. As far as accuracy, it can only come a maximum of that. There have been plenty of clips around here of the Axe-fx where people liked it better than the real deal compared side-by-side. That being said, you are correct A LOT of it comes from the feel department and how it reacts dynamically. Three things hit me about the II and amp modelling:

1. More powerful low end w/o the flubbiness. You can really get that in your chest thump with much less effort.
2. Dynamics - playing softly, volume rolled back, and playing with you fingers all react even better than before (subtlies in attack/bloom are easier to achieve)
3. Harmonic content - seems a bit less static/more complex. It is a subtle thing but you notice it when you compre the two side-by-side and let a chord just ring out.

Now none of these thing diminish how good the standard/ultra sounded before. They are not akin to changes going from a vAmp to a Axe-fx. It is much more subtle than that. It is very noticeable. And how it responds to your playing is readily apparent.
Add to this, it is much easier to dial in the amps. Less EQ (if needed there is one built right into the amp block), raw amps just sound better out of the gate (IMO). New features like input trim, geq, X/Y, etc. make dialing in a tone faster.

I hope that makes some sense. So the changes in tone are not earth shattering but the are noticeable. The changes in dynamics are very apparent when you play. Dialing is faster and simpler. These thing start adding up to a much improved (IMO) experience. Enough so that when I palyed the first chord on the thing, it just brought a huge smile to my face. That didn't happen on the Ultra (It took a 1/2 hour or so ;) )

I will say this. You are NOT guaranteed to get the exact tone you had on the Ultra/Standard on the II. Many of the models are different. I decided after wasting a bunch on time trying to copy my presets exactly that is was not a very productive way of doing things. I used the old patches as visual templates and built things from the ground up. It is working a lot better that way. I only have a few of my presets ported over though. There has been much time for that until now.

Sean, that certainly makes sense. Thanks for the elaborate explanation, good to hear that. The usability features were reason enough for me to upgrade, all the tone and 'feel' improvements are a welcome bonus. Being some kind of Sir Tweakalot, I don't mind having to rebuild my sounds after getting the II. Thanks.

Sean, that certainly makes sense. Thanks for the elaborate explanation, good to hear that. The usability features were reason enough for me to upgrade, all the tone and 'feel' improvements are a welcome bonus. Being some kind of Sir Tweakalot, I don't mind having to rebuild my sounds after getting the II. Thanks.

To go off Scott's analogy. The Ultra was a pretty girl that was stunning with a little makeup. The II is a pretty girl that is stunning w/o any make up. :)

I'm listening to all these clips on a reference pair of headphones and I hear the
improvements in sonic detail, plain as day. This IS a major leap forward in modelling
technology. Cliff is getting close to the limits of what can be heard and felt.
Perhaps Axe II will be known as the "corksniffer" Axe.

To go off Scott's analogy. The Ultra was a pretty girl that was stunning with a little makeup. The II is a pretty girl that is stunning w/o any make up. :)
That's really nice......
But in the words of an english bloke I once new "c'mone mate, do you look at the mantle when you're stoking the fire?"

IMO it's all about what it FEELS like ;-)
The II may stunning without makeup, but it feels like a girl who...

Headphones VS. Sound system?

Hey,

Earlier in this thread there was dialogue discussing how the Axe FX didn't sound as good using headphones or in-ears as it did out in the house through a venue's speakers.

Why is that?

I'm always a little self conscious onstage hearing what I do in my ear. Then I take the bud out of my ear and realize that it really sounds great. Right now I run stereo directly out of my Axe FX. It really does sound great. However, is there something I need to do to make it sound as good in my in-ear mix, or when I record to a DAW? In the previous instances it sounds.... digital... or something. As if the crunch of the gain is not integrating with the signal.

Would a rack mounted amp help this somehow? Do you all know what I'm talking about? What do you do?

thanks,

peerhan

Back
Top Bottom