AXE -FXII now on Close Out sale status in store! Get one while u can!

I stand corrected about the purchase date.
Would it hurt FAS to carry a (remaining) stock of the XL+ and discount them by a couple hundred bucks until they sold out, along side the AFX III? Instead of killing the re-sale market? Too late now of course.
That's what we are doing. The II will remain for sale alongside the III until they are gone.

Would it hurt FAS to carry a (remaining) stock of the XL+ and discount them by a couple hundred bucks until they sold out, along side the AFX III? Instead of killing the re-sale market? Too late now of course.

Probably not for that reason, but why not as a cheaper alternative? Not every company ditches production of their old model when they introduce a new one. Like Samsung has the S8 as its flagship phone, but also still offers the older models for those who want a cheaper phone. Not everyone can afford the III, not everyone needs the III. If there is demand for a cheaper rackmount, why not maintain production of the II for as long as you can?

Im pretty sure thats how business works...Should they have emailed you 8 months ago when you bought it and said " Hey,we're in development for a new product maybe you should hold off ?" Grow up dude, they're not forcing you to sell your XL+ and buy the III.
"Grow up dude"?
All righty then....
I've been around awhile (And was a member of the old forum before 2011) and have seen the witch burnings in the past from the people who can't seem to get the FAS cock out of their mouths long enough to listen to another viewpoint. Butt out jr. FAS does not need you to defend them. Starting with the Ultra back in 2008 I've owned 5 AFX units. New and used. Does that give me the right to voice my disgust about this?

Probably not for that reason, but why not as a cheaper alternative? Not every company ditches production of their old model when they introduce a new one. Like Samsung has the S8 as its flagship phone, but also still offers the older models for those who want a cheaper phone. Not everyone can afford the III, not everyone needs the III. If there is demand for a cheaper rackmount, why not maintain production of the II for as long as you can?

The DSP used in the II is no longer manufactured. We bought a bunch before they went EOL and when those are used up that's the end of the II.

Why do you think FAS cares about the resale market ? Resale value only affects YOU

Fractal would rather sell someone a new, discounted xL+ instead of you selling your unit because, get this, they make a profit off the new sale, while someone buying your used unit nets them nothing.

The gist of your whining is essentially you want someone else give up some money in exchange for you getting as much cash possible out of your 1 year old unit and that world just doesn’t work that way

I'm grateful FAS didn't raise the price of the III another THOUSAND $$ (like they justifiably could have) while they lowered the price of their outgoing model like almost every company on the planet does.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that couldn't afford a new XL+ that are grateful they can now afford to join the Fractal family while getting a unit that is still under warranty.

I understand Chris' disappointment, but FAS did nothing wrong, unethical, unrealistic, un-businesslike or an other "un" as far as I'm concerned.

I would have been disappointed if I had recently purchased an XL+ but my disappointment would not have been directed at Fractal.

In fact, I intentionally held off on purchasing an XL+ because it seemed a III had to be just around the corner somewhere.

If comments against this complaint are not wanted - perhaps it would have been better to send them an email voicing those concerns instead of venting on the forum for all to see.... and comment on.

Now I'm off to yell at Fender for lowering their price on the American Professional Strat and releasing that American Original Series Strat just a few short months after I purchased mine. They've got some nerve!

Essentially what people like Mr. Young want to happen is to buy a product new, use it for a year, then sell it for $100 less than they paid new, so they can move into the next new product. The “use” of the XL+ should cost him less than $10 a month.

This is the same reason we see absurd pricing on reverb etc, with used products costing 10% less than new, and without the benefit of a warranty or return period.

Essentially every buyer wants to pay 50% or less new, as we all see when we get lowball offers, and every seller wants to get as close to new value as possible. It’s unrealistic for both party’s

Just like with a car, I assume that as soon as I bought it I’m now able to maybe 75% out of it.

The fact someone can still get $1500 for a used XL is a testament to the great product it is. With most brands the “old” offering are worth less than 50% at best, yesterday’s news.

I'm grateful FAS didn't raise the price of the III another THOUSAND $$ (like they justifiably could have) while they lowered the price of their outgoing model like almost every company on the planet does.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that couldn't afford a new XL+ that are grateful they can now afford to join the Fractal family while getting a unit that is still under warranty.

I understand Chris' disappointment, but FAS did nothing wrong, unethical, unrealistic, un-businesslike or an other "un" as far as I'm concerned.

I would have been disappointed if I had recently purchased an XL+ but my disappointment would not have been directed at Fractal.

In fact, I intentionally held off on purchasing an XL+ because it seemed a III had to be just around the corner somewhere.

If comments against this complaint are not wanted - perhaps it would have been better to send them an email voicing those concerns instead of venting on the forum for all to see.... and comment on.

Now I'm off to yell at Fender for lowering their price on the American Professional Strat and releasing that American Original Series Strat just a few short months after I purchased mine. They've got some nerve!

....don't forget about General Motors !! FALL CLEARANCE SALE - just 2 months after I bought my Silverado pickup truck.

I might have to write the head of GM when I leave here and see if I get a response about what they've done to the resale value of my truck.

This is kind of how I read this thread..... It was pretty harsh and insulting , yet the head of the company took time to publicly acknowledge and defend his position. Hats off to Cliff.

My plan is to advertise my used XL+ as a tool for crypto currency mining. I can surely get double what I paid for it! :p

Those damn Bitcoin miners have bought up all the good video cards. Trying to build a new development PC and video cards are consistently sold out.

Decided to wait anyways until Intel releases new chips with Meltdown fixed.

Well I've voiced my unhappiness about this. I appreciate being heard. Please, consider your "loyal" customers re-sale values as much as possible when making future launch plans.
Thank you,
-Chris Young
You are aware that the release of a new Axe FX doesn't make yours any worse, or decrease the quality of sound, right? Get over yourself mate.

Those damn Bitcoin miners have bought up all the good video cards. Trying to build a new development PC and video cards are consistently sold out.

Yep, I'm glad I bought my GTX 1080 when I did.

"Grow up dude"?
All righty then....
I've been around awhile (And was a member of the old forum before 2011) and have seen the witch burnings in the past from the people who can't seem to get the FAS cock out of their mouths long enough to listen to another viewpoint. Butt out jr. FAS does not need you to defend them. Starting with the Ultra back in 2008 I've owned 5 AFX units. New and used. Does that give me the right to voice my disgust about this?

You’re crying about losing resale value on a unit you’ve had for a year, so yes grow up dude. Ive bought a total of 4 brand new II’s from Fractal and I’m not crying about the cash lost on the newest one. You’re use of profanity only pushes the point further of grow up, they’re not making you upgrade. If you’re complaining about losing money on a product you’ve owned for a year you probably shouldn’t be upgrading anyway.

It's not Bitcoin - you can't mine Bitcoin for a profit with a GPU as the electricity cost is higher than the exchange rate you can get for Bitcoin. The demand is currently driven by other crypto-currencies that are ASIC resistant, like Ethereum for example.
I bought a GTX 1060 a few months back... I should have bought another. It mines ethereum when I don't use it :) It already paid for the cost of the card.

That is the part of this community that I don't care for. There seems to be a gang mentality at times.

@Chris Young the release of the III and the blowout prices of the older units does seem a little different than new hardware releases in the past. I've been lucky enough to be able to sell and upgrade. My typical expectation for electronic gear is 50% on resale. Fractal resale has actually beat that.

In this particular case, since the new hardware is so different and the algorithms are being rewritten too, it a little bit of a different beast I'm afraid and the older units have already depreciated faster than I would have liked.

Back
Top Bottom