AXE -FXII now on Close Out sale status in store! Get one while u can!

since when is it a companies obligation to worry about the resale value of a discontinued product? That's a new one...
I think it started with car commercials talking about their resale value. However, a car is a capital investment.

This is consumer electronics, although some people tend to think otherwise and perhaps attempt to make it so with attitudes and opinions, because of the cost of entry and the fact that some actually make a living with it. However, resale is what the market will bear at any given time.

That said, if the entire selling market keeps prices for their used gear high then that's where the market will stay. It's only a buyers' market if you let it happen. It's not like the housing market crash. No one had equity in their XL+ that evaporated overnight.

And oh by the way it's not like 100,000 XL+'s just suddenly went on sale. That's the chicken little sky-is-falling syndrome of the internet echo chamber in general and forums in particular. Between the announcement thread and this thread you'd think the whole frickin' world just ended the way some people are reacting. You people know who you are. I probably put you on Ignore (about a half dozen since the III announcement) for being astonishingly unstable, so don't worry about responding right away with your manic retort.

My rules for this kind of stuff:
1 - If you don't have the cash you can't afford it.
2 - It's not the maker's fault if you can't afford it.
2.5 - The resale value of the thing is not the responsibility of the maker of the thing. Never was, never will be, so...
3 - Don't expect to get back what you think it's worth when you go to sell it.
4 - Take the plastic off. It's not going to affect the resale value. That's just stupid.
5 - So what if there's a new thing coming? I'm still on the iPhone 6+.

So, to this I say to everyone reading: None of this is important. It's all just stuff.

Last edited:
No doubt!
After thinking about it more, I think this is a short-sighted comment I made.

Assuming the supply of new XL+ units is pretty limited (I think this based on a comment from Cliff elsewhere today), and some comments from others in other threads, the resale price will probably come back up as soon as the remaining new stock dries up. Because many people just can't afford $2500... But they could afford a used Axe Fx II and be very happy, much like those who snatched up Ultras when the II came out.

Time will tell...

After thinking about it more, I think this is a short-sighted comment I made.

Assuming the supply of new XL+ units is pretty limited (I think this based on a comment from Cliff elsewhere today), and some comments from others in other threads, the resale price will probably come back up as soon as the remaining new stock dries up. Because many people just can't afford $2500... But they could afford a used Axe Fx II and be very happy, much like those who snatched up Ultras when the II came out.

Time will tell...
no doubt?

Think of how annoyed people are going to be when they obsess for 4 months on a waiting list and then the Axe FX III XL Uber Double Plus comes out 18 months later... :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

Technology is a never-ending march of forward progress. Regardless of when you choose to hop aboard, at some point a newer model will emerge. It's as sure as death and taxes.

If you keep waiting for the next big thing you'll never have anything.

I've been extremely comfortable with Fractal's pace. I hate it when companies get into a piss'n match and have to update hardware every year with small and sometimes meaningless features just to try and one up the other (mobile phones anyone).

I've been extremely comfortable with Fractal's pace. I hate it when companies get into a piss'n match and have to update hardware every year with small and sometimes meaningless features just to try and one up the other (mobile phones anyone).
Exactly this, and the consumer gets sucked up in it and it's a big steaming pile. Here we get quality without bullshit.

Features that may be meaningless for one may be just what pushes someone else to purchase/upgrade

In terms of the camera market they are constantly rolling out new models (and causing current models to drop resale value) but sometimes something as “insignificant” as an added button, touchscreen to select AF point, etc, makes a world of difference for a given user.

It’s certainly frustrating for many users who bought recently, but what you’ve got to remember is the manufacturer doesn’t really care about current users that much, they already got your money. They care about those who still have money they want to spend, and do everything to separate them from it lol.

Now one can argue that maybe such practices hurt long term loyalty etc, but we are really just making those are armchair market strategist, and in reality businesses do have plenty of folks weighing all these points and choosing how to price stuff, when to roll out new products etc.

It’s easy to think that I know more than say, Sony, and I can tell them exactly what is a good and bad idea, what “everyone” wants etc, but when it comes down to it, why are they a multi billion dollar company and I’m a guy without any company, if I’m such a market genius?

We can complain and second guess Fractal all we want, but compare what Cliff has built and what we’ve done ?

Seems the track record indicates Cliff is making some good choices overall.

deposited cash money this morning in the ATM for a brand new XL+!! just as soon as the bank verifies (probably not till tuesday morning, monday being a federal holiday...dammit!), i'm ordering mine so there will be one less in stock. doing my part to lighten the load, so you all can sell your used for top dollar. Team Work! gettin 'er dun, huzzah!! ;)

Just buy the III and put your current unit in the FX loop!
I wish! The XL+ will be my first Fractal. Had to do some serious string-pulling to make this happen. Dont get me wrong, id love to have thee latest and greatest for sure, but i am certain i will be totally satisfied with the XL+ for quite awhile. Besides, i dont know how much longer i can wait! Ill have my XL+ before anyone gets their III.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom