AXE -FXII now on Close Out sale status in store! Get one while u can!

I think it's incredibly short sighted...
I bought my last Axe Fx XL+ 8 months ago for retail from Fractal. Now, without any forewarning, they announce the coming release of the NEW thing. So what are people LOGICALLY trying to do? They are trying to sell their current rigs to help subsidize the cost of the new $2500 unit.
But oh wait.....
For the last 3 months Fractal has been saturating the market with black friday sales, christmas sales, extended january sales and now apparently the fire sale. So the people who would like to buy the NEW unit get fucked, because they can't get a fair price for their CURRENT units. Oh, unless they sell them for $1499...
Which ain't going to fucking happen...
Way to go Fractal...

Im pretty sure thats how business works...Should they have emailed you 8 months ago when you bought it and said " Hey,we're in development for a new product maybe you should hold off ?" Grow up dude, they're not forcing you to sell your XL+ and buy the III.

I think Fractal is going to sell plenty of III’s no matter what. Certainly for some folks it might be an issue where they need to sell their current units to afford the new, but there are also plenty of people who can drop $2499 like it’s nothing.

Fractal is a business, they want to sell units, and frankly I don’t think they care what people have to do in order to afford one. If that means selling current gears, eatting ramen for 6 months, or living in a car, it’s not their business to care.

They aren’t going to make it cheaper just because someone can’t afford it. They aren’t going to not introduce a new unit because it hurts the resale of someone’s current unit.

Fractal doesn’t care about used value. Doesn’t matter if I sold mine for $1500 or $1100 on Reverb last week. None of that money goes to Fractal, other than the $2100 I gave them when I bought it new. Now they have the next generation coming out and I’m going to buy that.

People get these odd notions that business doesn’t exist to make a profit, but instead to benefit the end users bottom line.

It’s like fractals accounts where projecting the net revenue a new product launch would generate and then Cliff walks in a says “hold up guys, Someine just bought an XL 3 months ago and if we have a new product it’s going to hurt his resale value. Let’s wait til 2019 for the III”

Fractal should put off making tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars new revenue just so some end user can have an older product worth a few hundred dollars more ?

I bought my last Axe Fx XL+ 8 months ago for retail from Fractal. Now, without any forewarning, they announce the coming release of the NEW thing. So what are people LOGICALLY trying to do? They are trying to sell their current rigs to help subsidize the cost of the new $2500 unit.
But oh wait.....
For the last 3 months Fractal has been saturating the market with black friday sales, christmas sales, extended january sales and now apparently the fire sale. So the people who would like to buy the NEW unit get fucked, because they can't get a fair price for their CURRENT units. Oh, unless they sell them for $1499...
Way to go Fractal...

Hey Chris, how about all the people that can finally buy a used ax8 or II now ?

You only seem to care about yourself and giving up a few hundred bucks resale value seems like it’s going to make or break you. Well what about those people who couldn’t afford to pay what you wanted and who now can get a great value ?

For every person like yourself who’s all hurt they lost resale value after 8 months there is another who’s enjoying their new used unit.

In all honestly if a couple hundred dollars is make it break you probably really shouldn’t be buying a $2499 unit in the first place

But oh wait.....
Way to go Fractal...

According to our records you bought it over a year ago. 1/19/2017 to be exact.

This just in: Life isn't fair. Sometimes you don't get as much resale value as you'd like for the world's greatest guitar processor, while living in the greatest time in history, in arguably the greatest country on earth.

It's our cross to bear, I suppose. The eternal albatross around our collective neck.

Woe is us.

It's always tough buying against technology. FAS can't exactly disclose new products and manage to keep their doors open.

If people knew definitively 6 months ago there was a product looming, their sales would tank.

Consumers have to be "play the game" and do their best knowing life cycles of products. Companies like Apple are a bit more predictable, but FAS does have some predictability ...

Standard: 2006
Ultra: 2008
II: 2011
II XL: 2014 (XL+ 2015)

So it would be safe to assume a III in 2017, possibly 2018 (because of the XL+ in 2015).

Thus, if you want "latest/greatest", then the WORST time would be to buy 2017/2018. If you want the LOWEST price of current products, then 2017/2018 would be the best time to buy. Depends on what is important to you.

The BEST time to buy III is now until 2020. The WORST time to buy the III would be 2021 (unless you are wanting a cheaper price).

But all this is a guessing game. FAS could uncover something amazing, and release it to replace the III before 2021/2022.

Last edited:
You should buy the new unit right when it comes out.
Then you get the most use out of it.

If you want maximum value out of your old unit, you have to guess when the new one will be announced and sell just before that.
Of course, you're stuck with nothing until the new unit actually comes out, which could be a while, particularly if you sold too early.

Or you don't worry about it, and you just man up and take the loss.

Apple has an iPhone upgrade program, where you're actually leasing your phone.
I think it's actually more expensive than buying and selling.
But you always have the latest model...

This just in: Life isn't fair. Sometimes you don't get as much resale value as you'd like for the world's greatest guitar processor, while living in the greatest time in history, in arguably the greatest country on earth.

It's our cross to bear, I suppose. The eternal albatross around our collective neck.

Woe is us.

Amen.
Thank you FAS for your continued commitment to excellence , for your free firmware updates , and for allowing regular guitar playing , amp loving , tone seeking , audiophiles ; like myself , to be part of your dynasty.

But oh wait.....
Way to go Fractal...
this may be the most ill-informed I've read on these forums....

I'm sure FAS would be happy to sell a bunch of units to any country on earth, its the EU and all the tariffs and exchange rates, and import red tape, etc that are raising the end prices. Cliff isn't sitting around saying "If someone from Europe wants to buy one lets charge him hundreds extra", its the end cost of getting one to you, with Fractal making their usual profit, and then G66 getting their cut of things, and all the rest of the red tape.

No, FAS is saying no cheap Axe FX for you, like the soup n azi, when you try to order from directly. Your order gets canceled and you are directed to go to G66 instead. That happened to me. And I did order a 2nd hand XL via Ebay from the US for about the same price as the current offer, and even with tariffs and red tape I was still cheaper off. And the exchange rate works actually in our favor. Well, at least its supposed too.

For the record, I can't say anything bad about G66's service and delivery, not to mention the tasty chocolates, but to pay $1150 more then in the US for a unit, it just feels like I get f'ed in the A. It feels like G66 has a monopoly on the Axe in Europe, and monopolies are always bad for the consumer because they eliminate choice. I know that when I order directly from FAS in the states I run the risk losing out on G66's great service and tech support, and that I would have to ship my broken unit back to the US if need be, but that should be my choice to make. And I am robbed of that choice. I like the Axe FX. FAS buids and sells good stuff, they support their users with good upgrades and interact with them nicely in this forum. But in this one aspect they suck.

I will be buying the III when I get my invite. I will also be holding onto my XL+ until the remaining new units have sold out, as has been stated, the prices for used units should then stabilize, and my guess is they will be slightly higher than they currently are. I know I will still take a hit, but I consider that rent paid for the use of the gear since I purchased it back in late 2014 if I remember correctly.

According to our records you bought it over a year ago. 1/19/2017 to be exact.
I stand corrected about the purchase date.
Would it hurt FAS to carry a (remaining) stock of the XL+ and discount them by a couple hundred bucks until they sold out, along side the AFX III? Instead of killing the re-sale market? Too late now of course.

Back
Top Bottom