AXE -FXII now on Close Out sale status in store! Get one while u can!

You’re crying about losing resale value on a unit you’ve had for a year, so yes grow up dude. Ive bought a total of 4 brand new II’s from Fractal and I’m not crying about the cash lost on the newest one. You’re use of profanity only pushes the point further of grow up, they’re not making you upgrade. If you’re complaining about losing money on a product you’ve owned for a year you probably shouldn’t be upgrading anyway.

See post 56.

I upgraded from an Ultra to my Mark II around the end of 2013. While it was nice to get some cash back when I sold the Ultra, “resale value” wasn’t part of the value equation for me then, nor now. And I’m far from being flush with cash. (Like, I really hope I can scare up rent again in two weeks!)

The kind of value that matters to me is the feeling of exhilaration that keeps me standing and playing for hours on end. It’s the fact that – with Cliff’s endless upgrades – my Mark II has evolved into an instrument that’s advanced substantially beyond the one I bought in 2013.

By any objective measure – other than a “price of everything/value of nothing” cold financial evaluation – my initial investment has appreciated by leaps and bounds. Because of it, a keyboardist that had never played electric guitar has grown into a player who can – well, at least have fun and display an illusion of minimal competence, while getting fantastic sound out of the thing.

By the time I manage to get a III and sell off the II, those four-and-a-half or five years with the Mark II will have cost me (in all likelihood) less than a thousand dollars, and brought me priceless returns in sheer joy. And that’s the kind of value that actually matters, IMHO.

Last edited:
I upgraded from an Ultra to my Mark II around the end of 2013. While it was nice to get some cash back when I sold the Ultra, “resale value” wasn’t part of the value equation for me then, nor now. And I’m far from being flush with cash. (Like, I really hope I can scare up rent again in two weeks!)

The kind of value that matters to me is the feeling of exhilaration that keeps me standing and playing for hours on end. It’s the fact that – with Cliff’s endless upgrades – my Mark II has evolved into an instrument that’s advanced substantially beyond the one I bought in 2013.

By any objective measure – other than a “price of everything/value of nothing” cold financial evaluation – my initial investment has appreciated by leaps and bounds. Because of it, a keyboardist that had never played electric guitar has grown into a player who can – well, at least have fun and display an illusion of minimal competence, while getting fantastic sounds out of the thing.

By the time I manage to get a III and sell off the II, those four-and-a-half or five years with the Mark II will have cost me (in all likelihood) less than a thousand dollars, and brought me priceless returns in sheer joy. And that’s the kind of value that actually matters, IMHO.

I agree that part of the value is actually using the product. It can still provide function and value as a tool even though a new model has been released.

I always feel worse when I buy something and never get around to using it as much as I would have liked only to have it superseded by a next gen product.

Let's dispense with the attacks. Everyone has valid points.
I've always been a fan of what you make. If I wasn't, I certainly would not continue coming back time and time again.
My thinking (from some past release trends) was to sell my current rig after the black Friday sale. Then that sale never ended. And when I got the notice about the new unit, and not having sold my current one, I was like, "DOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!!"
Now that you reminded me about the date I bought the XL+ with foot controller, I had a feeling the new box was gonna happen last year. When it looked like it wasn't going to happen, I sold my AFX II and bought the XL+. It's a great unit and I am not disappointed in it, or the countless amount of upgrades you continually release. I apologize for being a bit self centered on my re-sale thinking. :-(
And I appreciate the opportunity to voice that frustration.
Thank you,
-Chris

By any objective measure – other than a “price of everything/value of nothing” cold financial evaluation – my initial investment has appreciated by leaps and bounds. Because of it, a keyboardist that had never played electric guitar has grown into a player who can – well, at least have fun and display an illusion of minimal competence, while getting fantastic sounds out of the thing.

And that is absolutely true Randy. It's just I got on the XL+ train late. LoL

I agree that part of the value is actually using the product. It can still provide function and value as a tool even though a new model has been released.

I always feel worse when I buy something and never get around to using it as much as I would have liked only to have it superseded by a next gen product.

Let's go back to the days BEFORE , Craigslist , eBay , and Reverb..... How much did you "expect" to get for your used gear back then ?
Pretty lucky these days.

I've always been a fan of what you make. If I wasn't, I certainly would not continue coming back time and time again.
My thinking (from some past release trends) was to sell my current rig after the black Friday sale. Then that sale never ended. And when I got the notice about the new unit, and not having sold my current one, I was like, "DOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!!"
Now that you reminded me about the date I bought the XL+ with foot controller, I had a feeling the new box was gonna happen last year. When it looked like it wasn't going to happen, I sold my AFX II and bought the XL+. It's a great unit and I am not disappointed in it, or the countless amount of upgrades you continually release. I apologize for being a bit self centered on my re-sale thinking. :-(
Thank you,
-Chris

Props to Chris for this post.

The whole resale thing happened back when ultra came out and the dreaded wait list. People could buy, use for a few months, decide it was not for them and resale and not loose anything because of demand, sometimes make money on eBay.

I’m not bitter at all, as I got my money’s worth out of my crusty old mark 1. Still sounds great, and will be keeping it.

"Grow up dude"?
All righty then....
I've been around awhile (And was a member of the old forum before 2011) and have seen the witch burnings in the past from the people who can't seem to get the FAS cock out of their mouths long enough to listen to another viewpoint. Butt out jr. FAS does not need you to defend them. Starting with the Ultra back in 2008 I've owned 5 AFX units. New and used. Does that give me the right to voice my disgust about this?

As someone living in the great state of Indiana, you have the right to say whatever you want. Perhaps you could try using adult modes of communication though. Saying people need to "get the FAS cock out of their mouths" makes you come across as an asshole.

Some of you are too young to remember buying and selling gear before the Internet. And it seems like a lot of old farts of my generation have forgotten just how crappy the buy/sell market used to be. You were lucky to get 40% of new (as-in new purchase price, not MSRP). Selling gear meant taking a beating at a local music store or placing a 3 line add in the newspaper classifieds and have to talk to tirekickers and lowballers on the telephone - specifically your home phone. And then you'd have to let these cretins in your home to check out the gear or you'd have to go to some crazy bastards house of pain looking dungeon to buy a delay pedal. No thanks.

Even selling your Axe-FX II for under $1000 is better than the old days.

Some of you are too young to remember buying and selling gear before the Internet. And it seems like a lot of old farts of my generation have forgotten just how crappy the buy/sell market used to be. You were lucky to get 40% of new (as-in new purchase price, not MSRP). Selling gear meant taking a beating at a local music store or placing a 3 line add in the newspaper classifieds and have to talk to tirekickers and lowballers on the telephone - specifically your home phone. And then you'd have to let these cretins in your home to check out the gear or you'd have to go to some crazy bastards house of pain looking dungeon to buy a delay pedal. No thanks.

Yep... I would go to great lengths to meet buyers somewhere not in my house or studio lol

I still unload gear for very little just to move it.

BTW how many of those old dsp chips are set aside to continue making the ax8? New floor unit on the horizon I will assume?

Heaven forbid if you didn’t have “the original box”. Take another 20% off.

Thank you,
-Chris
Good show, man. Excellent of you to have a second take on it.

I wasn't happy in a similar situation between the Ultra and II release, but came to the same conclusion. It's business, and not intended to upend anyone's world or take advantage. Just bad timing for me. And now I'm on the waiting list for the III, and still playing my AX8 after the XL+ sold, so apparently I got over it. :)

Back
Top Bottom