Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.04 Release

I'm glad you posted this...I've thought so too, but have been trying to decide if it's just me...Does it seem kinda like a gate-type thing...like the first attack is delayed but less so with subsequent ones?
My experience, exactly.

My experience, exactly.
I noticed something today. Does it seem that it tracks better at a whole step down than 1/2 step? I have a preset at a whole step and also a baritone preset, neither of which seem to lag like the 1/2 step down one does.

I noticed something today. Does it seem that it tracks better at a whole step down than 1/2 step? I have a preset at a whole step and also a baritone preset, neither of which seem to lag like the 1/2 step down one does.
i'm getting the same lag at -2 as -1. Noticeable loss of tone quality, too.

i'm getting the same lag at -2 as -1. Noticeable loss of tone quality, too.
I’m not getting a huge tone drop, but it is slight. Barely noticeable with a band going. I have had some good luck opening up the high and low cuts on the pitch block, setting the detector to input 1, using smooth tracking, and setting the tracking to around 7. Wide open causes too much lag, and lower settings are less accurate.

Just updated my FW from 20.02 to 20.04 this morning, and it seems to have wiped my FC presets and opened my Axe FX up on preset 000. Thankfully I have a backup of my FC presets and the Axe FX's actual presets seems unaffected (though I have a backup of those too, just in case). Not sure if anybody else experienced the same thing or not.

Edit: upon reboot the FC presets are again wiped and it again opened up on preset 000. Reverting back to 20.02 for now.

Last edited:
Just updated my FW from 20.02 to 20.04 this morning, and it seems to have wiped my FC presets and opened my Axe FX up on preset 000. Thankfully I have a backup of my FC presets and the Axe FX's actual presets seems unaffected (though I have a backup of those too, just in case). Not sure if anybody else experienced the same thing or not.

Edit: upon reboot the FC presets are again wiped and it again opened up on preset 000. Reverting back to 20.02 for now.

Do you mean your FC layouts?

Yes. Rolled back to 20.02 and they're still wiping upon every reboot and it still opens on preset 000. Before updating last night it worked perfectly. Not sure what happened there.

Ah, I gotcha. Sorry that happened. The most important thing is that you’ve backed them up, and hopefully that’ll be fixed for a future release. I rely on custom FC layouts too, and reprogramming would definitely take a chunk of time.

I’m not getting a huge tone drop, but it is slight. Barely noticeable with a band going. I have had some good luck opening up the high and low cuts on the pitch block, setting the detector to input 1, using smooth tracking, and setting the tracking to around 7. Wide open causes too much lag, and lower settings are less accurate.
Captain User Error here. Your post prompted me to check settings. I didn't remember changing my -1 preset (1/2 step down). D'oh! Tracking was on 10 which explains the difference in lag compared to the other two which are at defaults (Block in, Fast, 5). When I set it I remembered why I changed it...it was warbling and setting tracking to 10 solved that. This probably happened at some point in FW 19. I hadn't noticed the warbling before that, and still think it's weird that the -2 doesn't seem to do it.

I've moved it back to 8 on that preset, and we'll see how that works on a gig today.

Unfortunately nothing is better than an 1/2 step down dedicated guitar even the drop is not quite there if you compare them imo
Understood and agreed. I'm trying to limit how many guitars I'm taking. Pre AF3, I always had two or three...standard, 1/2 down, backup for standard. Got tired of carrying three cases, especially when I never play the third guitar. Now I have one with a b/g bender bridge in dobro tuning for about 4 songs. Since we only have 1-2 songs a night that require 1/2 down, 1 that requires whole step down, and another that requires baritone, I'm LOVING the virtual capo. It has worked great in the past and is still working well enough right now...I think it's just gonna take a minute to dial it back in, and I do think there's been a change in the sweet spot between accuracy and lag, but I'm hoping to find it soon.

Understood and agreed. I'm trying to limit how many guitars I'm taking. Pre AF3, I always had two or three...standard, 1/2 down, backup for standard. Got tired of carrying three cases, especially when I never play the third guitar. Now I have one with a b/g bender bridge in dobro tuning for about 4 songs. Since we only have 1-2 songs a night that require 1/2 down, 1 that requires whole step down, and another that requires baritone, I'm LOVING the virtual capo. It has worked great in the past and is still working well enough right now...I think it's just gonna take a minute to dial it back in, and I do think there's been a change in the sweet spot between accuracy and lag, but I'm hoping to find it soon.
Ah good point gigging out is a different story for sure - good luck to you :)

Yes. Rolled back to 20.02 and they're still wiping upon every reboot and it still opens on preset 000. Before updating last night it worked perfectly. Not sure what happened there.
You may have a failed battery... Try changing a global setting to a non-default setting and then cycle power and see if the setting remains or resets to default.

If it resets then likely the battery is dead or somehow not correctly inserted.

This happened to me back at the beginning of the AxeIII on one of the first firmware updates. I didn't have a backup of my layouts at the time.
It hasn't happened to me again since but I learned my lesson on having a backup. Try rebooting the Axe, then restoring from your backup.

Back
Top Bottom