Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.04 Release

Empty preset bounces between 4.2 and 4.3, sometimes bouncing up to 6.6 CPU.

It looks like they are mostly constantly bouncing around by about 3 to 3 and 1/2 CPU.

The CPU jumping seems strange. Might be useful to compare with an older FW version like 20.00 or 19.

Last edited:
Here I thought.. if I update from firmware 19.02 (where I was happy) to 20.04, I’ll have to adjust all my presets. But, I just have to try the new goodies.

Okay.. I was wrong.. no ‘fixing’ anything.

In fact, it sounds even better... wtf? How’s that possible? 😄 Seems the sound got bigger and more ‘organic’.

Thank you again FAS! This company is absolutely the best.

Here I thought.. if I update from firmware 19.02 (where I was happy) to 20.04, I’ll have to adjust all my presets. But, I just have to try the new goodies.

In fact, it sounds even better... wtf? How’s that possible? 😄 Seems the sound got bigger and more ‘organic’.

see, i told you (if im not mistaken), gotta try that new Firmware :tearsofjoy:

I've just spent a couple hours playing this new Ownhammer MOABI IR. While I'm sure it's great with all sorts, if you are using a Friedman BE (especially v3), and I'd expect anything with a Marshall pedigree, you need to check this out. It's like a blanket was lifted off the cab. Hoping it's not so redundant as to lessen the point, but between the speaker and drive improvements and whatever other special sauce since FW19 and this IR (BAL 160 +121), I think I'm finally done (for the moment at least) searching. I can't imagine anything sounding better! Thanks @FractalAudio @Admin M@ @ownhammer and anyone else that had a hand in bringing these to us!!!

EDIT: Holy **** these sounds sweet!! The words you chose to define the difference can't be put any better. Mega-fan of the BE/HBE v3 presets, so this was just perfect package for me, and first Ownhammer purchase no less! I absolutely love this cabinet, and I'm gonna NEVER get anything done anymore because this Axe-Fx III is like a never-ending journey of discovery and tone I can't put down and I'm tired of having to explain this perma-grin everytime I fire up the Fractal. "No, I'm not baked to a crisp, this stupid silly grin just happens every time I play now!" At this point I have to remind myself to actually get something done in the studio because I get so into the Axe-Fx and tweaking and learning and finding and buying...well, you get it. :) It's a labor of love!!

ORIG:
Oh HELL yeah, snapped this RIGHT up!! Thanks for the recommend, I'm putting 'em to the test later this evening!!

Last edited:

I couldn't agree more, fairly new to FA and the AxeFx III, but I've had to change nothing in any presets and as you said, they seem even better...just more delineated and clear. It's just amazing to me.

Has anyone checked to see if Cliff is actually of this world?? :alien: :D Honestly, between the level of incredible awesome that is the AxeFx platform, the complexity layered in such accessible manner, and the high paced goodness that keeps coming in frequent updates....it just doesn't seem humanly possible!!!

I sold my beloved old friend and time-tested Marshall JCM 800 2210 stack w/1960 A/B cabs (I'm still not completely over it to be honest, 1000's of gigs....), and jumped in on the AxeFx II, in a month bought the AxeFx III Turbo, and I am consistently just overwhelmed by how amazing the modeling is and how close it all is to the real deal, and SOOO much more configurable. In 30+ years of performing and recording I scoffed at modeling, tone snobbing all the way. This is still like an actual dream...I almost cant believe what I see and hear. Astounding, really, but thoroughly satisfied and happy beyond words!

I couldn't agree more, fairly new to FA and the AxeFx III, but I've had to change nothing in any presets and as you said, they seem even better...just more delineated and clear. It's just amazing to me.

Has anyone checked to see if Cliff is actually of this world?? :alien: :D Honestly, between the level of incredible awesome that is the AxeFx platform, the complexity layered in such accessible manner, and the high paced goodness that keeps coming in frequent updates....it just doesn't seem humanly possible!!!

I sold my beloved old friend and time-tested Marshall JCM 800 2210 stack w/1960 A/B cabs (I'm still not completely over it to be honest, 1000's of gigs....), and jumped in on the AxeFx II, in a month bought the AxeFx III Turbo, and I am consistently just overwhelmed by how amazing the modeling is and how close it all is to the real deal, and SOOO much more configurable. In 30+ years of performing and recording I scoffed at modeling, tone snobbing all the way. This is still like an actual dream...I almost cant believe what I see and hear. Astounding, really, but thoroughly satisfied and happy beyond words!
Yes, things have really changed in a big way over the years in amp modelling. I was there in the earlier days because of the type of bands I was in and the various tones I needed for the gigs. My beloved 50w '69 Marshall just became impractical for the task. I regretted selling it years ago. But now, I have have some of the best tones I've ever had and all the flexibility I could ever need.

The JCM 800 is one of my favorites in the Fractal. So much, I've made about 4 presets using various colors of it.. mainly by using different IR's. The 800 works great with either Greenbacks or V30's. It's fun to play with, and the tones are so good!

Yeah, this company is on another level. Cliff should get an award.

I've just spent a couple hours playing this new Ownhammer MOABI IR. While I'm sure it's great with all sorts, if you are using a Friedman BE (especially v3), and I'd expect anything with a Marshall pedigree, you need to check this out. It's like a blanket was lifted off the cab. Hoping it's not so redundant as to lessen the point, but between the speaker and drive improvements and whatever other special sauce since FW19 and this IR (BAL 160 +121), I think I'm finally done (for the moment at least) searching. I can't imagine anything sounding better! Thanks @FractalAudio @Admin M@ @ownhammer and anyone else that had a hand in bringing these to us!!!
I got the IR but haven't had time to try it yet, but this post has re-lit that fire. Thanks!

Yeah, this company is on another level. Cliff should get an award.
All of the damned awards. Hasn't been a full year yet since I got my Turbo, just a year since I first tried the FM3 and fell in love. Sold a bunch of gear and will sell more. Cygnus was apparently what I had been waiting for but didn't know it.

It's great knowing that from here on out things can only sound at least this great.

I got the IR but haven't had time to try it yet, but this post has re-lit that fire. Thanks!
Just finished replacing the cabs in all of my presets (only about 5 that I gig with) and kept the old presets so I can pop back and forth. I've tried other cabs and always, when I go back to the original (amp and cab are the factory BE100 preset with some minor tweaking), I have stuck with the original. Not so this time...at least so far. So happy with BAL 160 + 121 with the BE, but also with the 59 Bassman, Orange A30, and DC30. These may not sound exactly like those amps with this cab, but they sound great to me! FWIW, I'm using the London Town Tall speaker impedance curve with the BE...that was another nice leap in this process.

Last edited:

Good to hear that, still on 19.02 here, too many gigs lately

I’ve been reviewing all my presets, playing with new ones and this firmware is really hitting it on all levels for me.

I now have a basic “go to” preset for Plexi, Band Commander, JCM 800, JTM 45, and two based on Friedmans with a different set of base cabs.

I’ve got a Klon block in all of them which I’ve assigned to a switch on my FC6. The Klon has become my “I put that $&@! On everything” block.

When I go to any one of these I can easily spend the rest of my night on it. The thump, punch, crispness — everything responds so well to my playing.

Never been a better time to be a Fractal player!

Nice! You know you can put up a review on their site? This reads like one.

Nice! You know you can put up a review on their site? This reads like one.

Thanks brother, that's a fine idea!! I think I'll go do just that in fact, it may ease my urge to shout it from the rooftops!! :D

Also, comps on your forum nick/avatar! I just got my 2022 EBMM Majesty 7 in Emerald Sky last week and good Lord what an axe!! Pure sex and tonality, my first EBMM, but that's for a different forum and review! Suffice it to say it is absolutely brilliant in every possible way (this from a decades long ESP fanatic) and worth every penny! Be well!

I just picked up the Moabi IR pack as well. Some very nice IRs. I also really like how Ownhammer packages his IRs. All the prefab blends and eqs save me a ton of time.

Today I received my FM9 Turbo and I noticed that the speaker impedance curves are displayed differently between the two units (both on the hardware and on the editors) despite the same exact settings.
Is it a bug on one of the two devices?
And is it only a visual thing? Cuz it seems to me they sound slightly different, with the axe producing slightly fatter tones... but I can't tell if that's the cause or maybe the lower oversampling on the fm9

AXE SIC.jpgFM9 SIC.jpg

Last edited:
Today I received my FM9 Turbo and I noticed that the speaker impedance curves are displayed differently between the two units (both on the hardware and on the editors) despite the same exact settings.
Is it a bug on one of the two devices?
And is it only a visual thing? Cuz it seems to me they sound slightly different, with the axe producing slightly fatter tones... but I can't tell if that's the cause or maybe the lower oversampling on the fm9

View attachment 107538View attachment 107539
Im guessing the new curves arent in the fm9 yet, check the release notes.

Back
Top Bottom