IRs OwnHammer Moabi Custom

Third-party impulse response pack

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
Moabi-960.jpg

ownhammer.com/moabi

Hey everyone, it's been a minute. :)
Just a heads up on something new that I've put together and released in Ultra-Res .syx format that I think could greatly benefit some folks in these parts: the Moabi Custom impulse response and preset library, linked above. There are several things that I feel not only makes this different, but special:

First and foremost, the cabinet itself is non-traditional in that it is not constructed of off the shelf plywood or particle board wrapped in glue and tolex, but solid African moabi hardwood. When shooting the same speaker set in the exact same way with the exact same mic compared to a tolexed plywood cabinet of the same dimensions, the resultant sound is noticeably more lively, tight, resonant, and, well, "woody" sounding.

Secondly, as opposed to the standard "component" style approach to building sounds, I went a more results driven route this time instead. I shot a bunch of T1221, T3903, T3904, T4335, and T5901 speakers spanning the 1970’s through the 2010’s and blended them together in various ways -- on top of changing the amount of active speakers in the cabinet at a given time as well as changes in mic technique -- to create the different following nine distinct sound groups:

Core Voicings
  • Extra Large
  • Large
  • Medium
  • Small

Specialty Voicings
  • Balanced
  • Cali Style
  • Contemporary
  • Down Tuned
  • Drogonian

Within each are 15 single mics and 10 core mic mixes, as well as mic-pair mix permutations for those who may be interested, or don't have a Fractal device with a multi-channel IR mixer cab block.

As the icing on the cake, there's also 3 base tone amp presets (surrounding the Friedman BE-100 V3 amp model) to give a head start on sounds as well as some context for the intention of the library sonically.

All files within are in Ultra-Res (.syx) format, so they'll be compatible and drop right in with any AX8, Axe-Fx II, Axe-Fx III, FM3, or FM9 you may have.

I hope that everyone has been well throughout the last few years of craziness we've all been through in the world, and that those who pick this one up enjoy it!

All the best,
Kevin

Moabi-960.jpg

ownhammer.com/moabi

Hey everyone, it's been a minute. :)
Just a heads up on something new that I've put together and released in Ultra-Res .syx format that I think could greatly benefit some folks in these parts: the Moabi Custom impulse response and preset library, linked above. There are several things that I feel not only makes this different, but special:

First and foremost, the cabinet itself is non-traditional in that it is not constructed of off the shelf plywood or particle board wrapped in glue and tolex, but solid African moabi hardwood. When shooting the same speaker set in the exact same way with the exact same mic compared to a tolexed plywood cabinet of the same dimensions, the resultant sound is noticeably more lively, tight, resonant, and, well, "woody" sounding.

Secondly, as opposed to the standard "component" style approach to building sounds, I went a more results driven route this time instead. I shot a bunch of T1221, T3903, T3904, T4335, and T5901 speakers spanning the 1970’s through the 2010’s and blended them together in various ways -- on top of changing the amount of active speakers in the cabinet at a given time as well as changes in mic technique -- to create the different following nine distinct sound groups:

Core Voicings
  • Extra Large
  • Large
  • Medium
  • Small

Specialty Voicings
  • Balanced
  • Cali Style
  • Contemporary
  • Down Tuned
  • Drogonian

Within each are 15 single mics and 10 core mic mixes, as well as mic-pair mix permutations for those who may be interested, or don't have a Fractal device with a multi-channel IR mixer cab block.

As the icing on the cake, there's also 3 base tone amp presets (surrounding the Friedman BE-100 V3 amp model) to give a head start on sounds as well as some context for the intention of the library sonically.

All files within are in Ultra-Res (.syx) format, so they'll be compatible and drop right in with any AX8, Axe-Fx II, Axe-Fx III, FM3, or FM9 you may have.

I hope that everyone has been well throughout the last few years of craziness we've all been through in the world, and that those who pick this one up enjoy it!

All the best,
Kevin
thank gosh for something new... and I love the fact that it's so off-the-beaten-path... SOLD! now just need to get through work day so I can try it out.

thank you again for all you do (to feed my chronic addiction).

This sounds super cool! @ownhammer - is there any way to purchase as a 'guest' - I don't want to create a PayPal account and it looks like that is the only option when checking out (says Save Your Info and Create a PayPal account).

What a cool unique product!

I like the results-based approach and the resulting mix options that are being provided. Look forward to checking it out!
thank gosh for something new... and I love the fact that it's so off-the-beaten-path... SOLD! now just need to get through work day so I can try it out.

thank you again for all you do (to feed my chronic addiction).

Thanks guys! Hope that you dig it when you get some free time!

Must excellent sir!
Welcome back over here!
You've been missed!

Thanks Dave! It's certainly been an interesting past few years; glad to finally start poking my head back out from the rock I've been hiding under. :)

This sounds super cool! @ownhammer - is there any way to purchase as a 'guest' - I don't want to create a PayPal account and it looks like that is the only option when checking out (says Save Your Info and Create a PayPal account).

What a cool unique product!

Thanks Brian! I have an FAQ article that addresses this on the website (entry #2 at ownhammer.com/faq/store) that I'll copy below if it helps:

---| CUT |---

The world is always changing, and not necessarily for the better. With global cyber crime constantly on the rise, especially post-2020, PayPal in some nations/territories requires a PayPal account for all transactions despite the aforementioned Express API framework empoyed. This is entirely a requirement of PayPal, presumably either implemented as a precautionary measure on their part for fraud and accountability purposes, or due to imposed government policy requirement. In these instances, there is nothing that OwnHammer can do to alter these conditions, as they are set by PayPal, not OwnHammer.

As of the most recent update of this post, we have had customers report this to be the case in the following countries/territories:
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Spain
As aforementioned in the previous FAQ entry, at the current time the OwnHammer website relies solely on PayPal for payment processing. If this causes issue, content via our partners (Line 6 | Fractal Audio) may be accessible via different payment methods.

---| END CUT|---

If this has made its way to users in the US, I'm going to guess this is just standard protocol for them at this point, or at least so far as the kind of integration I have with them (something for me to look into, for sure). I am currently in the process of transitioning OwnHammer over to software/plugins, and for that to kick off at some point soon I'm going to have to completely rebuild the web server, the transactional framework, the whole nine yards. It's my intention to add other payment processors into the mix at that time, likely Stripe, but until then, unfortunately I'm beholden to whatever policies PayPal requires of transactions at this time. Apologies for any inconvenience there!

Thanks Brian! I have an FAQ article that addresses this on the website (entry #2 at ownhammer.com/faq/store) that I'll copy below if it helps:

---| CUT |---

The world is always changing, and not necessarily for the better. With global cyber crime constantly on the rise, especially post-2020, PayPal in some nations/territories requires a PayPal account for all transactions despite the aforementioned Express API framework empoyed. This is entirely a requirement of PayPal, presumably either implemented as a precautionary measure on their part for fraud and accountability purposes, or due to imposed government policy requirement. In these instances, there is nothing that OwnHammer can do to alter these conditions, as they are set by PayPal, not OwnHammer.

As of the most recent update of this post, we have had customers report this to be the case in the following countries/territories:
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Spain
As aforementioned in the previous FAQ entry, at the current time the OwnHammer website relies solely on PayPal for payment processing. If this causes issue, content via our partners (Line 6 | Fractal Audio) may be accessible via different payment methods.

---| END CUT|---

If this has made its way to users in the US, I'm going to guess this is just standard protocol for them at this point, or at least so far as the kind of integration I have with them (something for me to look into, for sure). I am currently in the process of transitioning OwnHammer over to software/plugins, and for that to kick off at some point soon I'm going to have to completely rebuild the web server, the transactional framework, the whole nine yards. It's my intention to add other payment processors into the mix at that time, likely Stripe, but until then, unfortunately I'm beholden to whatever policies PayPal requires of transactions at this time. Apologies for any inconvenience there!
Thanks a lot for the response Kevin - appreciate it. Maybe it will be added to the Fractal Audio site. I’ve just had a TON of issues with Pay Pal so I stay away from them. I’ll pick this up somehow though! Thanks again!

Ownhammer is back ! Been on the revolution series IRs and they havent let me down. Still my favorite IRs and in almost every preset I use.

Excited to check out the new offerings.

Kinda sad that It's only ".syx" and not also ".IR" (that are also fractal exclusive) files for those of us using the cab-lab vst version

Kinda sad that It's only ".syx" and not also ".IR" (that are also fractal exclusive) files for those of us using the cab-lab vst version
I'd prefer of they were in a player-agnostic format, like older Ownhammer IRs. I have various software that uses speaker IRs, not just Fractal gear.

But if lock-in is what it takes to get Ownhammer out of Helix lock-in, I'll take it! At least it's lock-in to my favorite modeling platform.

Also, another vote for more info on the new direction!

played this for about an hour. "OH Moabi DRG Low Gain" absolutely jumped out of the crowd for me for cleans -unexpectedly.

"OH Moabi LRG 421M+121" was my fav high gainer.

whole collection is a standout among my irs... makes me wonder if I need a solid wood cabinet!

Yeah it's gonna take me forever to get this FW installed and check out this cab.

If it helps, the IR's won't be firmware dependent, and the three presets are using 20.00. Hope you dig it when you have the time!
Thanks a lot for the response Kevin - appreciate it. Maybe it will be added to the Fractal Audio site. I’ve just had a TON of issues with Pay Pal so I stay away from them. I’ll pick this up somehow though! Thanks again!

Totally understand, cheers!
Ownhammer is back ! Been on the revolution series IRs and they havent let me down. Still my favorite IRs and in almost every preset I use.

Excited to check out the new offerings.

Happy to hear, thanks!
Holy cats, I like these Moabi IRs A LOT. Thanks, Kevin!

Thanks for picking it up, very glad they are working out for you!

played this for about an hour. "OH Moabi DRG Low Gain" absolutely jumped out of the crowd for me for cleans -unexpectedly.

"OH Moabi LRG 421M+121" was my fav high gainer.

whole collection is a standout among my irs... makes me wonder if I need a solid wood cabinet!

Fantastic! Gonna go revisit these myself, thanks for the feedback, and awesome to hear you're enjoying this!

Hi Kevin!
What a great sounding cab! Thanks for that!

Is there anything regarding the impedance curve(s) you could tell us? Recommendations or experiences?

Thanks again, love the approach!

Chris

Thanks for the feedback, very glad to hear you're digging it!

In full honesty, impedance curves aren't something I'm personally invested in for the purpose of making IR libraries (it will become more relevant for me if OwnHammer ever builds amp sims), and I don't capture this data when shooting cabs. With my Axe-Fx III, I fully trust Fractal's choices for each amp model, and am of the mind of recommending one to "flip through the options that are provided and choose what you think sounds best" if they feel like deviating from the default pick. :)

Apologies, this falls into the category of conflict of interest as I'm about to venture into software/plugins, and is the primary factor behind this decision. There are future plans for the OwnHammer product catalog to which recording platform exclusivity is appropriate and necessary for agreements with involved and invested parties.

Super cool!! Are there any recordings to showcase the sounds that can be had with the presets / IRs?

Not quite yet, but hopefully not too far off. Truth be told, I'm spread way, way too thin at the moment with all the things going on behind the scenes, and for scheduling purposes I also needed to get this one out the gate and checked off my to-do list as soon as possible to keep everything moving forward smoothly (hence why the sale is 6 weeks instead of 2, and the other file format version planned for this cab still hasn't reached market yet and is in "coming soon" status).

The hope is that the intro sale will help people decide to jump in early before these kinds of things can be added to the product description package, and for that I feel they will be rewarded with a true gem of a tool to use in their creative endeavors and/or enjoyment of their instrument and the time they spend with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom