Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.04 Release

I was prepping for digging into the changes from the past few firmware updates when I noticed something odd with the graphic on the 'Speaker' tab of the Amp blocks on the editor and the hardware between the Axe-Fx III and the FM9.
  • Updated to the latest firmware versions on both units. (20.04 and 3.00)
  • Set the 'Update Pre 20.02 (2.xx FM9) Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load' to 'Yes' on both units. And power cycled to make sure.
  • Loaded a fresh amp block on an Empty preset.
  • Tried a few different curves, same issue.
  • All parameter values are the same between the two units.
  • It looks a bit different than the FM9 with the exact settings.
  • The peaks in the graphic don't match the parameter values.
  • The graph tapers off on the high-end on the FM9, but not the Axe-Fx III?
  • Is this just a UI difference?
  • See screenshot for reference.
SIC FM9.png

I was prepping for digging into the changes from the past few firmware updates when I noticed something odd with the graphic on the 'Speaker' tab of the Amp blocks on the editor and the hardware between the Axe-Fx III and the FM9.
  • Updated to the latest firmware versions on both units. (20.04 and 3.00)
  • Set the 'Update Pre 20.02 (2.xx FM9) Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load' to 'Yes' on both units. And power cycled to make sure.
  • Loaded a fresh amp block on an Empty preset.
  • Tried a few different curves, same issue.
  • All parameter values are the same between the two units.
  • It looks a bit different than the FM9 with the exact settings.
  • The peaks in the graphic don't match the parameter values.
  • The graph tapers off on the high-end on the FM9, but not the Axe-Fx III?
  • Is this just a UI difference?
  • See screenshot for reference.
View attachment 108323
I think this issue was already discussed in this thread and it's just a display thing...

My Axe III was boxed up for a few months while I moved across the world. When I updated the firmware I noticed that the amps sound significantly better. The high end sounds smoother like I'd expect from my amps into the LB-2. The Klon is spot on. Effects going into the amp block sound better with the amp improvements.

Fractal, you're my GAS-ex.

Anyone else notice a clicking artifact when triggering the delay hold and rolling down the volume via block & expression pedal simultaneously?

Weird question, I know, but I had it working smooth before. Still troubleshooting. 99% sure it's a me thing, not the FW, but figured I'd ask.

What does this mean... I'm not following.
I have both a volume block level and delay block hold tied to an expression pedal modifier...

Heel down rolls off volume and triggers delay hold to start, but the volume taper is more gradual. Hold taper is very sharp, so it's latching before volume is rolled down very far (prevents repeats from having a reversed swell kind of thing going on).

Anyway, this was working great on previous FW. I hadn't used this preset in a while, but last night revisited it and noticed the delay hold is catching some kind of clicking/popping noise as the volume is rolled off. It then repeats as part of the hold.

With the delay block bypassed, the volume taper seems fine, not noticing any scratchy sound or clicking, so I don't think it's pedal calibration. Comp & gate is before vol block and the latter sidechained to In1, so they shouldn't be causing the problem...?

I'll export it later so I can share the preset.

EDIT: Found this thread which mentions modulation on delays can affect hold. D'oh!

Post in thread 'Improved hold function' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/improved-hold-function.182911/post-2253304

I switched from digital to tape delays. This is probably the issue.

EDIT 2: Nope, not caused by modulation. Almost positive there's some sort of crosstalk or buffer issue going on when the AF3 is receiving MIDI messages. Still investigating...

Last edited:
Possible Error:

To me, going by the owner's manual of the original gear, it sounds like two models of the Triaxis might be reversed, the USA Pre LD1 Red and the USA Pre LD2 Red.

The manual lists the channels like this:

Lead 1 - Red = Classic British Lead
Lead 2 - Red = Searing MKIII Lead

The Red 2 on the Axe sounds very Marshall-ish to my ears, and the Red 1 model on the Axe sounds very 5150-ish. I could totally be going crazy here, but does anyone else hear them this way?

Regardless, I used these two channels with a 5150 cab with 414 mic I captured from TH-U, and they're freaking insanely awesome sounding.

To me, going by the owner's manual of the original gear, it sounds like two models of the Triaxis might be reversed, the USA Pre LD1 Red and the USA Pre LD2 Red.

Which original gear? Version 1 (1991 or 1992?), Version 2 with Recto board in Lead 1 Red (1993+), Version 2.01 with Recto board and L1R fat mod (1997+).

1997 user manual descriptions:
Lead 1 Red = Recto Vintage Lead
Lead 2 Red = Searing Mk III Lead

2004 marketing brochure descriptions:
Lead 1 Red = British Lead
Lead 2 Red = Modified Mark IV Searing Lead

Which original gear? Version 1 (1991 or 1992?), Version 2 with Recto board (1993+), Version 2a with Recto board and fat mod (1997+).

1997 user manual descriptions:
Lead 1 Red = Recto Vintage Lead
Lead 2 Red = Searing Mk III Lead

2004 marketing brochure descriptions:
Lead 1 Red = British Lead
Lead 2 Red = Modified Mark IV Searing Lead

I used this manual:

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User Manuals/TriAxis_160801.pdf

I don't know which version this is for.

It looks like that one was created in 2016 so I assume it applies to v2.01. I have pdf copies from 1997 and 1998 that would also be for v2.01. The mode descriptions in 1997 and 1998 were identical. The description in the 2016 version of the manual looks like a jumble of the marketing copy from 2004 and the user manuals first generated for 2.01.

It looks like that one was created in 2016 so I assume it applies to v2.01. I have pdf copies from 1997 and 1998 that would also be for v2.01. The mode descriptions in 1997 and 1998 were identical. The description in the 2016 version of the manual is more similar to the marketing copy from 2004 than the user manuals first generated for 2.01.

To consolidate the info from the various versions then, it looks like LD1 would either be a Recto Vintage or a British Lead, and LD2 would be a MK III or IV Lead. If you get a chance to try the models, I'm curious if you'd hear what I heard, that the two model names might be mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom