Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

My bad.... I meant the Grill cloth that covers the 4 x 12 cabinet!
I figured that was what you meant :)

I don't think there's a good answer, though, because you don't know where the mic(s) were placed when the IRs were captured...

Turn it up until you like the result.

Personally, I typically find myself cutting bass so I'm never wanting more proximity.

Proximity effect (from the wiki)​

Miced cab.png

This adjusts the proximity of the virtual mic to the virtual speaker. Higher numbers translate to the mic being closer to the speaker (near-field), causing an increase in low frequency response (more bass). Lower numbers translate to the mic being further away from the source, with the lowest number providing far-field coloration.

Proximity effect (from the wiki)​

Miced cab.png

This adjusts the proximity of the virtual mic to the virtual speaker. Higher numbers translate to the mic being closer to the speaker (near-field), causing an increase in low frequency response (more bass). Lower numbers translate to the mic being further away from the source, with the lowest number providing far-field coloration.
Yes I saw that, thank you!! I have decided on a setting of 2 for now on all my presets.

Did the fuzz models change recently? I hadn’t used the fuzz blocks on my presets in a while and noticed they all had a significant volume jump and the Bender had a much more gated, ripping Velcro type tone that I didn’t notice before.

Last edited:
Solve all your CPU problems and buy 3 Axe Fx III’s or FM3’s. You’re always going to hit the CPU limit. I’ve used computers in music since 1987, without question it doesn’t matter the newest system (computer with state of the art chip) with a lot of headroom, I’ve always ended up hitting a CPU limit.
You all have good problems. Try lugging two Marshall stacks, a Fender Twin, and. Fender CMI Leslie back and forth to gigs and rehearsals, and helping the keyboard player with his Rhodes 88, or godforbid the B3 with those damn dollies. Switching amps between songs required plugging from one amp to another.

I’m just going to play this latest firmware update, and try to forget about my ablated L4 and L5 discs.

You all have good problems. Try lugging two Marshall stacks, a Fender Twin, and. Fender CMI Leslie back and forth to gigs and rehearsals, and helping the keyboard player with his Rhodes 88, or godforbid the B3 with those damn dollies. Switching amps between songs required plugging from one amp to another.

I’m just going to play this latest firmware update, and try to forget about my ablated L4 and L5 discs.

and don't forget to lug a dozen 4x12, 2x12, 2x10 and 1x12 cabinets with different speaker combinations, and a bunch of microphones :D

I was the main gear mover in our band. We had a rehearsal space, but 2x orange 412 2x fender twin, svt 810, svt classic, 4 guitars 2 basses 3 pedalboards + drums, twice a night. A/b/y for clean and dirty. Life was easier when we just ran the halfstacks haha.

All hail the masquerade in atlanta for their staff!

Since leaving that band and selling most of that rig, my axe 3 is racked under my desk.

All those cables that are prone to failure too.

The more amps, cabs, effects, switchers, and mics, the more points of failure one has to trace down.

I don't miss it at all.
Can anyone remember how fun all the 9-volt batteries and/or "wall warts" (power supply adapters), etc. were?
Now, I don't even have to unplug my wah every time I stop for a minute.

What a mess all that was.

It mixes direct signal from the input of the block in with the IR-effected signal. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cab_block#Air
Hmm. That's interesting. Any idea why it's called "air," then? I don't get how direct signal would be desirable in a cab block... I'll have to play with it more and figure out how it's affecting the sound. I could never quite figure out what the parameter was doing, either, though I haven't spent too much time tweaking it. I know the NDSP Abassi plugin blends direct sound, but it's not in the cab block. Very cool. Thanks for the info!

Hmm. That's interesting. Any idea why it's called "air," then? I don't get how direct signal would be desirable in a cab block... I'll have to play with it more and figure out how it's affecting the sound. I could never quite figure out what the parameter was doing, either, though I haven't spent too much time tweaking it. I know the NDSP Abassi plugin blends direct sound, but it's not in the cab block. Very cool. Thanks for the info!
Because the direct single is going to sound brighter before the cab ir imparts its coloration onto it.

Brighter > More High Frequencies > Airy Timbre.

As an exercise, breathe out of your mouth as you would making the "and the crowd goes wild" roar/cheer. Hear that? Totally devoid of low frequencies, and an airy quality to it.

I'm sure it would be called Thud if had some low rumble to it.

Because the direct single is going to sound brighter before the cab ir imparts its coloration onto it.

As an exercise, breathe out of your mouth as you would making the "and the crowd goes wild" roar/cheer. Hear that? Totally devoid of low frequencies, and an airy quality to it.

bro, I only breathe in thud. I don't know how people make breath noises :(

None.

Good question for @FractalAudio though.

Yes. Of course. Thank you @biggness! Air is a technical name for a section of the audible frequency spectrum.

https://www.audio-issues.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/EQChart.jpg1625249770427.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom