Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

Scene 1 : Amp block channel a , cab block , delay bypass
scene 2 : amp block channel b (same than a with a mid boost for example), same cab, delay block on
sound gap between the 2. And this with whatever amp .
not in the computer, but no problem to share a preset . I got this problem since the beginning and I’m not the only one to notice it . It’s not gapless between scenes .
Use two amp blocks. Or in the case of an FM3, use a Scene Controller, or a Control Switch to add the 'Mid Boost' without switching channels.

So the problem are channels ?
that’s sad because it was a nice idea to have a twin in A, a recto in B and whatever for C, but if you use 3 amps you cannot have a gapless thing so ?
i never used the multiplexer and scene controllers yet .
Channel switching is now very fast on the Axe-Fx III (this is an Axe-Fx III discussion). The FM3 is longer at this time, maybe it will be improved too?

So the problem are channels ?
that’s sad because it was a nice idea to have a twin in A, a recto in B and whatever for C, but if you use 3 amps you cannot have a gapless thing so ?
i never used the multiplexer and scene controllers yet .

Hey Man, it's not sad, it's just a reality of the hardware, and totally surpassable! :) Just give the multiplexer a try, and you can totally switch between two amps with no gap at all. For a third, it'll have to be there, but let me tell you, in my book, it's no such a big deal. I think of it this way: so many amps are mods of other amps (how the hell did Mesa Boogie start? modded Fenders!), you can just have two amp blocks, each on channel A, on the same column but of course different rows, in front of a multiplexer, and for your third amp, just mod the hell out of one of the amps to create your third amp! There is truly mind-blowing possibility here, nearly limitless.

To give you an idea of the power of mods, in the most bullshit layman's way, because I barely have a handle on all the stuff you can do, I was totally able to get the most beautiful clean sound out of a 5150 this morning, just by modding the same channel that I used for a roaring boosted tone. And I'm telling you, the clean I achieved felt like a Fender to me. Don't sell yourself short for what you can do. And definitely get into the multiplexer and scene controllers; your dream gapless tone is right in front of you, brother!

Metallica got one unit for clean and one for dist with a a/b switch since the 2 to avoid this gap because they are probably not clever too 😅

God knows the complexity involved in their rig. I wouldn't fault their sound techs for not utilizing the scene controller / multiplexer method; they're involved in so many other aspects of sound reinforcement, learning the subtleties of the very specific programming of the Axe FX I'm sure is the least of their worries. And I'm sure they're going to have several AF3s anyway as backup, so for them I'm sure it's totally not a big deal.

Yes I just wanted my presets to look simple. Channels was a good idea . So I will see if I can do it in another way …

Metallica got one unit for clean and one for dist with a a/b switch since the 2 to avoid this gap because they are probably not clever too 😅
The guys that built their presets are VERY clever.

The guys from Metallica are typically already using two Amp blocks at the same time to achieve/recreate the tones that they want. So they would have to use channels to switch to other amps between scenes. There are some pretty cool tricks using extra Delay blocks to make one tone continue a bit while switching scenes/channels. But as they have deep pockets, going with two units was an easy decision.

same for a guitarist like me that’s spend more time playing than going in the mega advanced parameter to not have gaps 😅, specially when you come from 2 products that have zero gap without doing nothing for it 😅

And one other thing for gaplessness, just to utilize MIDI control for every individual parameter, keeping every block on one channel. I didn't think of that first just because I use an FC12, which is faster than MIDI, but using MIDI to change your parameters should also, for all intents and purposes, feel gapless. :)

same for a guitarist like me that’s spend more time playing than going in the mega advanced parameter to not have gaps 😅, specially when you come from 2 products that have zero gap without doing nothing for it 😅
I hear ya, It can be frustrating. But the tools are there.

Amp, Cab, Reverb, Delays (in some situations), can have gaps and or clicks/pops when switching channels (depending on the models and settings). Switching between two (or more) blocks whenever you can, is a good general practice. Most blocks switch VERY fast.

hey guys! I love fractal gear!!! But GAP GAP GAP GAP GAP is a reality! This is why I sent back my Fm3!!!!!!!! So don’t say there is NO GAP! But there IS!!!!
The FM3 and the Axe-Fx III being discussed in this thread are very different in this regard. Gapless is entirely possible with an Axe-Fx III and scenes.

It's also possible in the FM3 if you approach it as a single channel amplifier or utilize scene controllers. But...that's for another thread.

And one other thing for gaplessness, just to utilize MIDI control for every individual parameter, keeping every block on one channel. I didn't think of that first just because I use an FC12, which is faster than MIDI, but using MIDI to change your parameters should also, for all intents and purposes, feel gapless. :)
You can do this with scene controllers and an FC too.

Yes I just wanted my presets to look simple. Channels was a good idea . So I will see if I can do it in another way …

And Petrucci had a different rig for cleans and dirt for a well number of years before getting his JP2C. The Train of Thought-era rig is a prime example (and a mammoth one really). I mean, is not like Mark Snyder wasn't clever enough to achieve a gapless switching rig ;)

My point, even the most "PRO" rigs (of course, counting FAS gear) has its problems for a "true gapless switching", and the more complex the signals, the more you have to figure out a workaround. From the MESA Roadking, to a lot of synths way over the $2K price range and effect processors, true gapless its not their forte.

Solve all your CPU problems and buy 3 Axe Fx III’s or FM3’s. You’re always going to hit the CPU limit. I’ve used computers in music since 1987, without question it doesn’t matter the newest system (computer with state of the art chip) with a lot of headroom, I’ve always ended up hitting a CPU limit.

You can set up two "reasonable and quite glorious" two-amp presets with totally separate signal paths in the III right now. If you really need two kitchen sink signal paths, you could just buy another III. An Axe FX IV that could do all that in one box would probably end up costing the same.
1624835003553.png
I use one for real cabs and two for FRFR. Three and four are send/returns to outboard effects. 61.7% was the highest, and 58% was the lowest I saw; plenty of room for more goodies, 40% more :)

As for changing scenes, try the volume knob.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom