Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

I don't experience any pop. Are you using active pickups? I have passive Suhr Aldrich
I've tested with 4 different guitars now (Fender CS Tele, Ibanez 2404, Suhr Classic Antique Strat, PRS CE24, same with all of them. Hold an A-power chord on scene 1 and switch to scene 2, I get a loud pop every time.

Hold an A-power chord on scene 1 and switch to scene 2, I get a loud pop every time.
You're switching amp channels between scenes which is causing the pop. You can create the same pop in scene1 by changing the amp from channel A to B. You can mitigate it by putting two amp blocks in parallel and switching between them.
Not sure if that's supposed to happen but it has nothing to do with the drive bug you quoted.

You're switching amp channels between scenes which is causing the pop. You can create the same pop in scene1 by changing the amp from channel A to B. You can mitigate it by putting two amp blocks in parallel and switching between them.
Not sure if that's supposed to happen but it has nothing to do with the drive bug you quoted.
Ok, I thought it could be that since it specified fixing popping sounds when switching from a drive block. Still, switching like this should not create a big popping sound, either I'm creating patches the wrong way or there's a bug that has the potential to be fixed.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try it.

Last edited:
I've tested with 4 different guitars now (Fender CS Tele, Ibanez 2404, Suhr Classic Antique Strat, PRS CE24, same with all of them. Hold an A-power chord on scene 1 and switch to scene 2, I get a loud pop every time.
OK, I've got the pop. I was not playing while switching. It only happens when switching to the 1987 Treble from the FAS Modern, not with other combinations, though

I've tried @l4mpi suggestion, 2 amps in parallel, and the pop is mitigated

I feel like this FW is certainly a step towards more real, and I'm not saying that to disparage tube amps or justify my purchase.

No. "More real" used to be a description used by someone back then. I think FW ** Is a incremental change towards ___________.

It's a great product and I love what I get from it, but the euphoric descriptions have gotten old to me is all.

Fwiw, I still fire up my old pod bean (original). I have three settings that cover a lot of ground and still like them.

Euphoric descriptions abound across consumer goods, unfortunately. Not sure what else there is to say on the matter.

Also fwiw, people still chase bean 2.0 high gain tones.

Also fwiw, people still chase bean 2.0 high gain tones.
Perhaps because it was in mass use at one time, so it evokes some kind of sense that it‘s a useable and ‘pro’ type sound.
The same applies to that awful auto tune robot effect that producers put on pop song vocals. They put it on there because it sounds like something familiar, and in vogue, therefore ‘acceptable’, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s the most horrific thing ever, like an aural seizure.

Perhaps because it was in mass use at one time, so it evokes some kind of sense that it‘s a useable and ‘pro’ type sound.
The same applies to that awful auto tune robot effect that producers put on pop song vocals. They put it on there because it sounds like something familiar, and in vogue, therefore ‘acceptable’, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s the most horrific thing ever, like an aural seizure.

Or because it was on albums that helped define a genre. Who's to say for sure lol.

Hi everyone! This video is just for you! I did a comparison between my real Friedman BE-100 Deluxe and the new Cygnus ;-)
Here is the signal chain:
For the real amp: guitar -> axe fx -> input amp (BE C45 mode) -> torpedo captor -> axe fx (Ownhammer Friedman IR + room reverb) -> Stereo out -> Apollo twin -> logic pro X
For the axe fx 3: guitar -> axe fx (Friedman BE C45 mode + same IR + room reverb) -> stereo out -> Apollo twin -> logic pro X

You can hear them in a mix and alone. There are 2 guitars panned L+R

I think you'll agree this is pretty close :)

More videos to come on my Youtube channel ;-)

Enjoy!!!!

Hi everyone! This video is just for you! I did a comparison between my real Friedman BE-100 Deluxe and the new Cygnus ;-)
Here is the signal chain:
For the real amp: guitar -> axe fx -> input amp (BE C45 mode) -> torpedo captor -> axe fx (Ownhammer Friedman IR + room reverb) -> Stereo out -> Apollo twin -> logic pro X
For the axe fx 3: guitar -> axe fx (Friedman BE C45 mode + same IR + room reverb) -> stereo out -> Apollo twin -> logic pro X

You can hear them in a mix and alone. There are 2 guitars panned L+R

I think you'll agree this is pretty close :)

More videos to come on my Youtube channel ;-)

Enjoy!!!!

Cool - the 2nd sample (the Friedman one?) is louder and a little gain-ier and has a little more more low-end I think, so it sounds "better", but that's just a volume/perception thing. Sound-wise, they do sound very close. Subscribed!

Yes, the second one is the Friedman. Sounds are dialed to be at the same volume. I think it’s more about frequencies as the output file is compressed ;-) thanks bro 😎 👍

"Fixed popping when switching channels in Drive block in rare cases."

When I go from a drive block to a clean I get a loud pop every time. I thought this was supposed to be fixed. We can't have that on professional equipment that's supposed to be used in live settings.
Turning a Drive on and off is not the same as changing channels on the block. The fix for an issue with changing channels.

Back
Top Bottom