Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.01

I turned on my HiWatt and my '67 Super Reverb last weekend to play a bit with the real thing. I cranked them both up to get nice acoustic feedback (I live in the boonies), set up a pedal chain, and ripped through some tunes. I got my pants flapping but honestly it was disappointing - I now prefer the Axe-FX sound to the real thing. Not being able to adjust the details of the sound was frustrating. I'm used to being able to dial in and out fizziness and fartiness as I see fit for the sound. While the amps sound great - my Super is a freaking monster - I find myself reaching for controls that aren't on the amp that I can dial in on the AF.

Cliff has gotten the AF code to the point that he's not really "modeling" amps any more. He's delivering a perfected and idealized version of the tones that we love. If you want the tone with all of the warts and blemishes it's in there - or if you want a perfect produced sound it's in there as well. The difference is that I have a choice - I can dial in raw nasty tones or smooth sweet ones. It all depends on what I want to hear. I don't have those choices with real tube amps.

And don't even get me started on effects . . .

I'll keep the amps for nostalgia's sake - but I play the Axe.

I turned on my HiWatt and my '67 Super Reverb last weekend to play a bit with the real thing. I cranked them both up to get nice acoustic feedback (I live in the boonies), set up a pedal chain, and ripped through some tunes. I got my pants flapping but honestly it was disappointing - I now prefer the Axe-FX sound to the real thing. Not being able to adjust the details of the sound was frustrating. I'm used to being able to dial in and out fizziness and fartiness as I see fit for the sound. While the amps sound great - my Super is a freaking monster - I find myself reaching for controls that aren't on the amp that I can dial in on the AF.

Cliff has gotten the AF code to the point that he's not really "modeling" amps any more. He's delivering a perfected and idealized version of the tones that we love. If you want the tone with all of the warts and blemishes it's in there - or if you want a perfect produced sound it's in there as well. The difference is that I have a choice - I can dial in raw nasty tones or smooth sweet ones. It all depends on what I want to hear. I don't have those choices with real tube amps.

I can't agree more!

I have a pair of small M-Audio powered studio monitors that have been turned off maybe 4 times in the past 17 or 18 years. Pretty sure the caps are still going strong.
Honestly, just because you can leave something on all the time doesn't mean you should never turn it off... I understand especially with studio monitors, some installs make it difficult to turn them off. I don't understand having a high aversion to turning things off in general. It's a small effort most of the time. (Yes I'm the same guy that has to follow my wife thru the house to turn off the lights in rooms that no one's in...)

You said it. I honestly can't conceive why I would ever buy an amp again.

A pedal, MAYBE, if it was some unique gear that people were raving about incessantly.

I haven't watched (or even had interest in) any amp or pedal demos since I got the AF3.
Gear FOMO has become non-existent for me. It's liberating.

LOL, I lost Cliff at "Cathode". That said, I sure am glad that someone who knows and understands tube amps this deeply is the mastermind behind this marvelous black box. I'm really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) what he comes up with next. I was thinking just the other day that I should take my bias out for a nice excursion.

Yeah, I tried reading it but I was already a few cocktails deep and decided my time would be better spent cracking the Voynich Code.

FW 15.01: Adjusting the BASS and MID controls in the amp block (e.g. Brit 800, but also on many other amp models) causes crackling and plop noises.
(Adjusting directly on the device, no Axe-Edit connected...)

Is this a bug or due to the design?

FW 15.01: Adjusting the BASS and MID controls in the amp block (e.g. Brit 800, but also on many other amp models) causes crackling and plop noises.
(Adjusting directly on the device, no Axe-Edit connected...)

Sounds like you´re using "Vintage Mode" ;)

I have a '69 Fender Super Reverb factory Blackface mod and a 60s JTM45/100 and they both sound unreal. I A/B'd them to my 2 AXE units and got very close in tone and feel with my cabs I'm using. So now instead of firing up the tubers, I dial in the AXE FX preset. Once in a while I fire them up and play them. They still sound fantastic, especially the Super. But like you said, I have so much at my fingertips to adjust, not to mention the weight and size difference, I rarely play the real thing anymore. I'm seriously thinking of selling them.

I have a '69 Fender Super Reverb factory Blackface mod and a 60s JTM45/100 and they both sound unreal. I A/B'd them to my 2 AXE units and got very close in tone and feel with my cabs I'm using. So now instead of firing up the tubers, I dial in the AXE FX preset. Once in a while I fire them up and play them. They still sound fantastic, especially the Super. But like you said, I have so much at my fingertips to adjust, not to mention the weight and size difference, I rarely play the real thing anymore. I'm seriously thinking of selling them.
It's comments like this that sold me on the AxeFX.

I’m interested how different the JTM45/100 was. Or was it?

Is there an issue with the delay block? A time setting between 0 and 8000ms works as expected, but any values between 8000 and 16000ms just result in an 8s delay. Preset attached, which is just an IN -> DLY -> OUT chain with the delay at 100% mix and 0% feedback. I'm on the latest Axe Edit but changing the setting on the hardware makes no difference.

Attachments

• delayTime.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom