Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

The highs... oh the sweet, smooth sounding highs! Perfect, thank you!
Yes, the difference is most noticeable in the highs.

I find I can push the highs a lot more now too without it getting harsh and spikey. I just made a preset using the Mr Z MZ-38 which isn't a model I normally use. The amp has little tone shaping of it's own so I always find it too dark and murky for distorted tones. So I put a treble booster in front of it and it sounds great. Usually that would make me cringe but it's not harsh at all.

Yes, the difference is most noticeable in the highs.

I find I can push the highs a lot more now too without it getting harsh and spikey. I just made a preset using the Mr Z MZ-38 which isn't a model I normally use. The amp has little tone shaping of it's own so I always find it too dark and murky for distorted tones. So I put a treble booster in front of it and it sounds great. Usually that would make me cringe but it's not harsh at all.
And the difference is noticeable even on high gain amps, I just played my VH4 patch and it has never sounded so good.

This update is my favourite since when I got the III last year, previous amp modeling updates were pretty subtle and I rarely could hear an improvement but this one is a nice leap.

And the difference is noticeable even on high gain amps, I just played my VH4 patch and it has never sounded so good.

This update is my favourite since when I got the III last year, previous amp modeling updates were pretty subtle and I rarely could hear an improvement but this one is a nice leap.
I wanted to call it 13.00 but superstition and all...

Whatever you did to the power amp, I no longer have to crank the smoothing knob to 'diffuse' the treble. Now smoothing is like extra sauce instead of a mandatory cringe prevention.

The highs are much more pleasant now. That was the one thing that I always struggled with when dialing up tones. For high gain, there was always a struggle with finding a nice top end, with an appropriate amount of sizzle, without it being harsh and feeling like it was sitting behind the tone instead of part of the tone.

What amp parameters, beyond the first page, have an effect on the high end? I've had good results with the Output Compressor set to Feedback, and the Speaker HF Resonance controls.

PS - The new presets sound great! I'm just curious as to why the Mark IV preset uses such a unfocused sounding cab, and no 5 band EQ tweaks for the high gain scene? Lol Factory 2 #884, IMO, sounds quite a bit more pleasing and controlled, a la the Mark IV sound.

Thanks a lot Cliff! I think you just gave me the extra juice for crunch sound I was struggling with a guitar and was dope with another (completely different instruments)... it also seems to enrich somehow higher gain amp (5150 block, it feels kinda fuller/rounder at the touch.. less scratchy)...

<3 Maaan .. It's 00:36 a.m. and I think I must play a little bit more :D (And I've tired hands from today's session :D)

The highs are much more pleasant now. That was the one thing that I always struggled with when dialing up tones. For high gain, there was always a struggle with finding a nice top end, with an appropriate amount of sizzle, without it being harsh and feeling like it was sitting behind the tone instead of part of the tone.

What amp parameters, beyond the first page, have an effect on the high end? I've had good results with the Output Compressor set to Feedback, and the Speaker HF Resonance controls.

PS - The new presets sound great! I'm just curious as to why the Mark IV preset uses such a unfocused sounding cab, and no 5 band EQ tweaks for the high gain scene? Lol Factory 2 #884, IMO, sounds quite a bit more pleasing and controlled, a la the Mark IV sound.

I'm recently loving Factory 2 #947 - #950 with the Mark IV

Before I get started with the new bundle of factory presets, can I ask a newbie question? I have Austin Buddy's presets in the Fx3 using the first couple of banks, then a bunch of presets from Burgs and others. I have most of the factory presets down the end, in the highest position numbers, but they have been weeded out, so the ones I've got in there are the ones I like to play with, and the weird ones, with spaced out sounds, special effects, etc, have all been weeded out.

So my question is - can I load JUST the presets I want from this factory bundle, and into the slots I want? Or will they simply overwrite everything in banks 1,2,3 etc? In which case I'll leave them alone...

Back
Top Bottom