Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

Before I get started with the new bundle of factory presets, can I ask a newbie question? I have Austin Buddy's presets in the Fx3 using the first couple of banks, then a bunch of presets from Burgs and others. I have most of the factory presets down the end, in the highest position numbers, but they have been weeded out, so the ones I've got in there are the ones I like to play with, and the weird ones, with spaced out sounds, special effects, etc, have all been weeded out.

So my question is - can I load JUST the presets I want from this factory bundle, and into the slots I want? Or will they simply overwrite everything in banks 1,2,3 etc? In which case I'll leave them alone...
You can do it by dragging the bank file in the browse panel of manage presets, there you'll see the single presets contained in the bank and you'll be able to place them individually in your slots

You can do it by dragging the bank file in the browse panel of manage presets, there you'll see the single presets contained in the bank and you'll be able to place them individually in your slots

Ahhh, yes, of course. I'd forgotten about that browse panel on the left - thank you :) Appreciate the memory jog! :)

the fenders are really nice, top end is perfect! feel is great and the growl on edge of breakup and overdriven stuff is spot on. even adds a little extra mojo to the marshalls :)

on a side note I have a preset with both pitch blocks, a clean fender amp and I can hear a static crackle like sound in the background. will check again tomorrow and report back.

Nearly half a lifetime ago, I worked at Antique Electronic Supply, in Tempe, AZ. If you bought matched output tubes in summer or fall '94, or very early in '95, it's likely that I matched them. :)
I didn't buy output tubes, but I bought other gear from Antique Electron Supply under my AmpDoctor business name, during that timeframe. Small damn world!

Today, my buddy came over with his real SLO 100. I've been dying to play a real one since that's my favorite high gain model in the Axe, so I ran his head through the Fractal X-Load LB-2 into my DAW and used MixIR2 for the IR loader. I set the Fractal's knobs just like the real amp and used MixIR2 for the Axe's IR loading as well to make it as apples to apples as I could. No kidding, I played the first chord and he smiled with pride over how good his amp sounded... except he was hearing the Axe! I switched to the real amp and of course it was glorious, but a little different, so I SLIGHTLY tweaked just the presence and master volume and BAM, it was nearly identical. I switched between the Axe and the Amp and you couldn't tell which one we were listening to. I panned them hard left and right and it sounded absolutely massive! Then I let him play some Fender and Vox presets and he couldn't believe the tone and was blown away by the effects. He just kept smiling.

So, he's selling his SLO and his Kemper and getting an Axe-Fx III for his studio. It was a good day.

Today, my buddy came over with his real SLO 100. I've been dying to play a real one since that's my favorite high gain model in the Axe, so I ran his head through the Fractal X-Load LB-2 into my DAW and used MixIR2 for the IR loader. I set the Fractal's knobs just like the real amp and used MixIR2 for the Axe's IR loading as well to make it as apples to apples as I could. No kidding, I played the first chord and he smiled with pride over how good his amp sounded... except he was hearing the Axe! I switched to the real amp and of course it was glorious, but a little different, so I SLIGHTLY tweaked just the presence and master volume and BAM, it was nearly identical. I switched between the Axe and the Amp and you couldn't tell which one we were listening to. I panned them hard left and right and it sounded absolutely massive! Then I let him play some Fender and Vox presets and he couldn't believe the tone and was blown away by the effects. He just kept smiling.

So, he's selling his SLO and his Kemper and getting an Axe-Fx III for his studio. It was a good day.

To some extent, its pretty funny how your post ended Justin! Thanks for sharing this..... it makes us all proud owners!

To some extent, its pretty funny how your post ended Justin! Thanks for sharing this..... it makes us all proud owners!
I'm telling you, give me five minutes with a nonbeliever and I'll convert them. And honestly, I think I was more pumped than he was because I no longer feel the need to own a real SLO. So I basically sold an Axe-Fx III AND saved 4k in the process... it was a VERY good day!

I'm telling you, give me five minutes with a nonbeliever and I'll convert them. And honestly, I think I was more pumped than he was because I no longer feel the need to own a real SLO. So I basically sold an Axe-Fx III AND saved 4k in the process... it was a VERY good day!
How were you listening to it?

I just saved >$100,000 today by deciding not to buy a Dumble ODS... ;) I use Burgs' Dumbles on the Fx3 instead.

Sorry - couldn't resist following your logic - I use that argument all the time at home ;)

With the new smoothing of the highs, with the new PWR tube modeling in 12.09 and FM3, 1.04........would this reduce or cancel the need to use high cut in the Cab Block now ?

With the new smoothing of the highs, with the new PWR tube modeling in 12.09 and FM3, 1.04........would this reduce or cancel the need to use high cut in the Cab Block now ?

that would depend on the IRs and your taste

Okay......but it seems general practice in a lot of approaches.....wondering if this changes now.....

How were you listening to it?
Two tracks in Pro Tools. The real amp and the Axe through my studio monitors. It was bliss.

I just saved >$100,000 today by deciding not to buy a Dumble ODS... ;) I use Burgs' Dumbles on the Fx3 instead.

Sorry - couldn't resist following your logic - I use that argument all the time at home ;)
Hahaha! Yup, my wife likes that logic too.

TBH I haven't felt the need to use it for quite a few firmwares on the III

Reactions: Rex
Praise to FAS, I just had the axe fx3 for less than 3 weeks but this is the most rewarding piece of gear I have purchased in my life, and to be fair I had them all in the digital world, you name it, I have got it, and sold them all to go back to valves, the experience is just great with FAS, from the purchase at G66 through smoothless updates, great sounding updates and the tech support and after market support, plus the great community, thanks sincerely to all for this wonderful sounding piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom