Axe-Fx III Firmware 27.00 Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that you guys improved an already great tuner. Can't wait to check it out, but I probably will not be able to notice the difference with these very old ears. Keep up the great work. I install every Beta as soon an I can and have never had an issue. Looking forward to purchasing an AXE- FX IV.

I just had some time to try this out for the first time and at first I thought I was killing it, but then it dawned on me that I was playing the same shit as always - it just sounded so much better. Well, better? What's better: More teeth (more bite), singing chainsawy "if snakes hissed powerchords" sidewindery feel. "Responsive" being the word of the hour.

I didn't change anything about my preset since I last played (27.00 b1) and it's a very noticable positive difference.

Edit: Facepalm!!! Didn't even try the Mutron! BRB!

I've noticed that the warbling aspect in pitch shifted notes seems to have become somewhat more pronounced in 27b (not seen this mentioned yet other than here). I tend to use 100% mix for Pitch-Harmony (usually: unshifted-Left / 100%mix-3rd-Right), so it may be jumping out at me more than for others who run it at a lesser mix. The oscillation seems to be a little deeper than before, and the rate of oscillation is slower which maybe is making it more noticeable to my ear in this release compared to previously (I think it's been there in some form for a while). A couple of observations:
  • the oscillation rate varies inversely to the tracking level.
  • no other changes in the shifter controls seem to have any effect on the oscillation.
  • I'm guessing the oscillation is triggered by the preceding amp block (some models more than others - this one jumped out at me), since, if I move the pitch shift to in front of the amp block instead of after, the oscillation disappears. (The guitar itself may also be producing the oscillation and it's getting accentuated by the amp + shifting (more than it used to do if it's the case, as far as I can remember - I tried changing out the guitar, but it still occurs)).
Following are some sound samples from FW: 26.01 and 27b7 using the same preset / preset settings. Each clip has 2 sub-clips: one with the pitch block after the amp block (scene1 in the preset attached), and a second with the same pitch settings positioned before the amp block (scene2 in the preset attached). To reveal the effect clearly, there is no cab block present, and the pitch block is just producing 1 single shifted -3rd @ 100% mix. No pitch-modulation is turned on in the preset and amp-tremolo is off.

Maybe someone could try the preset to confirm the issue is not in my particular setup only.

Attachments

• 27b7 Pitch.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I've noticed that the warbling aspect in pitch shifted notes seems to have become somewhat more pronounced in 27b (not seen this mentioned yet other than here). I tend to use 100% mix for Pitch-Harmony (usually: unshifted-Left / 100%mix-3rd-Right), so it may be jumping out at me more than for others who run it at a lesser mix. The oscillation seems to be a little deeper than before, and the rate of oscillation is slower which maybe is making it more noticeable to my ear in this release compared to previously (I think it's been there in some form for a while). A couple of observations:
  • the oscillation rate varies inversely to the tracking level.
  • no other changes in the shifter controls seem to have any effect on the oscillation.
  • I'm guessing the oscillation is triggered by the preceeding amp block, since, if I move the pitch shift to in front of the amp block instead of after, the oscillation disappears. (The guitar itself may also be producing the oscillation and it's getting accentuated by the shifting (more than it used to do if it's the case, as far as I can remember - I tried changing out the guitar, but it still occurs)).
Following are some sound samples from FW: 26.01 and 27b7 using the same preset / preset settings. Each clip has 2 sub-clips: one with the pitch block after the amp block (scene1 in the preset attached), and a second with the same pitch settings positioned before the amp block (scene2 in the preset attached). To reveal the effect clearly, there is no cab block present, and the pitch block is just producing 1 single shifted -3rd @ 100% mix. No pitch-modulation is turned on in the preset and amp-tremolo is off.

Maybe someone could try the preset to confirm the issue is not in my particular unit only.

I guess that artifact might be caused by the distortion when it's placed after the amp. Try set the pitch detection to "input 1" instead of "block in"

I guess that artifact might be caused by the distortion when it's placed after the amp. Try set the pitch detection to "input 1" instead of "block in"
The samples are with pitch detection set to "input1" - Changes to "detector source", "Pitch Tracking" (even "Off"), "Pitch Quantize", "Glide Time" have no impact. Changing "Tracking" value impacts the speed of the oscillation.

Can the tuner be adjusted to ranges outside of 430-450 yet? Not being able to adjust to the full range of possible tunings is frustrating the rare times you need to.
I am wondering the exact same thing! Yesterday I was trying to cover a number of bands like Pantera, Machine Head, and Sepultura and noticed the tunings werent syncing up exactly so I experimented with the calibration and was able to get there for the most part. I read up on how Dimebag tuned and got a mix of information that the frequency used was 425 and also heard 430 but was bummed I could not go outside of this range.

I am wondering the exact same thing! Yesterday I was trying to cover a number of bands like Pantera, Machine Head, and Sepultura and noticed the tunings werent syncing up exactly so I experimented with the calibration and was able to get there for the most part. I read up on how Dimebag tuned and got a mix of information that the frequency used was 425 and also heard 430 but was bummed I could not go outside of this range.
Better than being bummed your tone sounds like Dimebag ;)

Last edited:
I just had some time to try this out for the first time and at first I thought I was killing it, but then it dawned on me that I was playing the same shit as always - it just sounded so much better. Well, better? What's better: More teeth (more bite), singing chainsawy "if snakes hissed powerchords" sidewindery feel. "Responsive" being the word of the hour.

I didn't change anything about my preset since I last played (27.00 b1) and it's a very noticable positive difference.

Edit: Facepalm!!! Didn't even try the Mutron! BRB!
So even better guitar tones? I'm still in beta #2...and I've been holding off for the full deal. Already digging the better synergies with the drive/ amp interactions, and have been digging the more gnarly, punchy, unchained aggressiveness in my user presets, both old and new. I'm mainly an E standard thrash/hair metal /raunchy-hard rock/blues guy. You are tempting me. Even better you say and we aren't yet at full release? I got some thinking to do. Can you elaborate a bit? The more "teeth" thing you mentioned grabbed me. I love teeth in my tones😎🤯😁

I'm not seeing the new Filter - Mutron option. Yes, I have RANF and I have the latest version of Axe Edit. Is there a beta version of Axe Edit for this beta that I missed?
Hello
I agree with you, I can`t see this filter in my setup. Same option as you have.

Of course! But it might wind up a bit long. Keep in mind I never owned a tube amp before acquiring my AFX, and I haven't had it for long (the first firware I had was 24.05). So I never expect to hear a difference between firmwares, because I don't think my ears are trained enough.

I picked the preset I've been working on since day one, which is still a big WIP and there's one scene that's basically a really nice 80s sounding solo tone... but I kept fiddling as one does, always returning to its initial state, so I've heard/played this scene for about 4 months now - I was basically happy with it, but it was admittedly a bit smooth and softish; it's my go-to when jamming along to "powerballad" or "80s slow blues" style YT backing tracks.

But there was little to no "unruliness", there were no real frayed edges, and it was a one trick pony - the ballads.

Now, and without changing anything on my part, using the same headphones, there's this... "excited" nature about that scene, some grit and texture that just wasn't there before, (I must've smoothed everything out too much) and that immediately drew me in - it's not like there's suddenly some wild and overdone change that made me think "Gawd, what's this!? Mah preset's different/ruined!!!" but it was more like a strong pitbull on a chain, pulling me along while trying to bite everything. There is a snarl and fizz to bending around (that's where the snakes come in) and guttural punch and snappiness to palm mutes that now also makes this scene viable as a dirty, in-your-face rythm tone just by turning the delay off/volume down a touch.

And I know "feels" aren't usually a good point of reference, but it felt more interactive. Responsive, as I put it.

Edit: @jayjay347912 It was obviously meant as a reply to you, but I just woke up so...

Last edited:
Regarding the update to the tuner.

There was a discussion some time back where it was stated the tuner was optimized for guitar tuning within the typical range for open strings, and was not considered the best tool for setting intonation. Do the new tuner improvements change this?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom