Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.00 Public Beta

josh L is forgetting about fletcher munson it seems.

If i have my car stereo at 10/50 and listen to the black dahlia murder “nocturnal” the tone is X. If i now crank it up to 40/50 and play the same song, the tone is Y. The volume change affects how Im hearing it - the source audio didnt change at all.

Appreciate our beta testers!

Modeling absolutely does not eliminate the solution of speakers for live music. Sorry for being direct, but that’s just incorrect.

josh L is forgetting about fletcher munson it seems.

If i have my car stereo at 10/50 and listen to the black dahlia murder “nocturnal” the tone is X. If i now crank it up to 40/50 and play the same song, the tone is Y. The volume change affects how Im hearing it - the source audio didnt change at all.

Appreciate our beta testers!

No I’m really aware of fletcher Munson.

My point is :

If a real amp and a real cab can get that tone printed on records with real mics (so no loud volume, no fletcher Munson involved when you listen to it) why that tone characteristic couldn’t be reproduced using modelers and ir?
Because that’s what it’s made for, aiming to reproduce the exact same tone as an amp/cab/mic combination.

That’s my question.

that’s why I talked earlier about the ghost notes.

Couldn’t be there someday some algorithms that can reproduce that pushed amp/cab characteristic?

Don’t you want to have that in your fractal? That’s a huge part of the cranked amp that are printed on records with mics.

That’s also why some people like me and I believe a lot of others like pushed amp, not for the gain but also for that characteristic.
Crank the volume of an ac30 and listen to that attack you get. This attack will sound the same if you put a mic in front of a cab and record it.
That’s a part of the realness of an amp.

I’m not saying fractal isn’t good, but that my dream modeler would do this, reproduce the exact same tone for those amps.
It may be not so important for a lot of amps, but for some amps it’s a huge part of the tone/feel.

My point is :

If a real amp and a real cab can get that tone printed on records with real mics (so no loud volume, no fletcher Munson involved when you listen to it) why that tone characteristic couldn’t be reproduced using modelers and ir?
Because that’s what it’s made for, aiming to reproduce the exact same tone as an amp/cab/mic combination.

That’s also why some people like me and I believe a lot of others like pushed amp, not for the gain but also for that characteristic.
Crank the volume of an ac30 and listen to that attack you get. This attack will sound the same if you put a mic in front of a cab and record it.

Post recorded examples. Otherwise it's only words...

My point is :

That’s my question.

that’s why I talked earlier about the ghost notes.

Couldn’t be there someday some algorithms that can reproduce that pushed amp/cab characteristic?

Don’t you want to have that in your fractal? That’s a huge part of the cranked amp that are printed on records with mics.

I’m not saying fractal isn’t good, but that my dream modeler would do this, reproduce the exact same tone for those amps.
It may be not so important for a lot of amps, but for some amps it’s a huge part of the tone/feel.
A large part of it is volume
And physically moving air and a speaker , I am not saying its impossible and Fractal is always improving the non linear elements of the tone but there really is no replacement for moving air

In a studio your amp is in another room or an ISO booth but don’t kid your self it’s loud as hell in that room

A large part of it is volume
And physically moving air and a speaker , I am not saying its impossible and Fractal is always improving the non linear elements of the tone but there really is no replacement for moving air

In a studio your amp is in another room or an ISO booth but don’t kid your self it’s loud as hell in that room
He's talking about listening back to two recordings at the same volume, not how Axe FX vs an amp sounds in a room.

Yes and I specifically said I don’t talk about amp in the room tone.
I know, I've seen you say it about 5 times. Your english is fine. I think people have got a bit lost and confused about what you're talking about since Justin's post because of all the Tele pics.

Or they feel that you are attacking Fractal, but you're not. It's the best thing I've ever bought and it's so close to being perfect now.

I agree about the percussiveness and weight of the attack not being quite there yet, but the overall tone being perfect. I can see the punchyness in the right hand being something that gets addressed in a future firmware.

This may seem very simplistic on my part about the Fletcher Munson curve, but could the Axe have a feature for the Munson curve at various level's of volume? Like Low, Medium and High volume levels as a global setting? Of course there is never a perfect fix but it would get you most of the way there for adjusting patches if you are playing a lower volume venue or a much bigger, louder show.

Post recorded examples. Otherwise it's only words...
Really?

Ok : first result on YouTube I’ve found.
Listen to cranked deluxe, can’t you hear something happening with the attack and how it reacts.
I clearly hear the typical cranked amp tone, if you have ever played an amp really loud you can even fell it just by listening.

Also this one. Listen to the importance of the attack on the tone, the weight that you can hear and feel. The reaction when he plays.

And honestly, listen to every AC/DC songs or whatever 70 rock song and you’lol know what I mean.

I changed some settings in my global CAB block. I then noticed that many presets with this global CAB block still had old data. Re-linking the block in those presets fixed that.

I've always wondered if global blocks ever get updated when firmware updates are installed. I believe the block library in the editor has to be manually updated when blocks get overhauled.

Really?

Ok : first result on YouTube I’ve found.
Listen to cranked deluxe, can’t you hear something happening with the attack and how it reacts.
I clearly hear the typical cranked amp tone, if you have ever played an amp really loud you can even fell it just by listening.

Also this one. Listen to the importance of the attack on the tone, the weight that you can hear and feel. The reaction when he plays.

And honestly, listen to every AC/DC songs or whatever 70 rock song and you’lol know what I mean.

I hear it , IMO ( take it for what its worth. its the transients on the attack because its a physical interaction and its immediate no latency.
As good as todays modellers are , there is still time for that a/d conversion , Fractal is very low latency but some people still feel it take Steve Vai for example , also Chris Baseford mentioned this recently if a guitarist is very sensitive to latency he would use a real amp .

Modeller sound great and deliver a perfectly matched eq profile and I think Fractal is the best of the best with reproducing these non linearities as the Ghost notes you mentioned , but it still has low amounts of latency that the real amp does not have and a slightly different attack .

So is digital modelling 100% there in feel and sound response to everyone I would say no

Will it get faster and have more headroom in the next generation with new and more powerful proceesor , perhaps

I think anyone claiming to feel latency at this point is full of shit, Vai included.
no, its a real thing , some people are just more sensitive to it , Vai being one
His perception is not wrong , maybe it does not bother you or I or tons of Fractal users, but if he believes and its is enough to throw him off , who am I to argue.

no, its a real thing , some people are just more sensitive to it , Vai being one
His perception is not wrong , maybe it does not bother you or I or tons of Fractal users, but if he believes and its is enough to throw him off , who am I to argue.

Sound takes time to travel through the air. Even with a tube amp and cab, you still effectively get about 1 ms of latency for each foot of distance between you and the speaker. Does moving 3 feet further from a tube amp throw anyone off? I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom