Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound takes time to travel through the air. Even with a tube amp and cab, you still effectively get about 1 ms of latency for each foot of distance between you and the speaker. Does moving 3 feet further from a tube amp throw anyone off? I doubt it.
Yep, if you blind test, even these "magic feel" guys fail too. Its idiotic. There are people that argue duracell sounds better than energizer in a fuzz pedal too. People that listen with their eyes.

No I’m really aware of fletcher Munson.

My point is :

If a real amp and a real cab can get that tone printed on records with real mics (so no loud volume, no fletcher Munson involved when you listen to it) why that tone characteristic couldn’t be reproduced using modelers and ir?
Because that’s what it’s made for, aiming to reproduce the exact same tone as an amp/cab/mic combination.

That’s my question.

that’s why I talked earlier about the ghost notes.

Couldn’t be there someday some algorithms that can reproduce that pushed amp/cab characteristic?

Don’t you want to have that in your fractal? That’s a huge part of the cranked amp that are printed on records with mics.

That’s also why some people like me and I believe a lot of others like pushed amp, not for the gain but also for that characteristic.
Crank the volume of an ac30 and listen to that attack you get. This attack will sound the same if you put a mic in front of a cab and record it.
That’s a part of the realness of an amp.

I’m not saying fractal isn’t good, but that my dream modeler would do this, reproduce the exact same tone for those amps.
It may be not so important for a lot of amps, but for some amps it’s a huge part of the tone/feel.

I know what you're talking about with the attack for cathode bias amps. I've only been able to feel or hear this with the amp in the room. In a recording situation, where the amp is mic'ed up and you're listening back in another room, it tends to loose that punch in my opinion. IRs make such a massive difference in the tone of the Fractal so I'd try a number of IRs and smooth them significantly. Additionally, you might try:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/amp-in-the-room.141579/

Also running your Fractal through a power amp and real speaker isn't going to get you there as suggested above. You'll be losing a key interaction between the speaker impedance and amp.

The endless search for tone didn't stop with tube amps...it's now in modeler land :)

Maybe try to recognize that what you're asking for (100% authentic mic'd tube amp feel and tone) is exactly what Fractal's been steadily working toward. Regular FW updates (like this one) get incrementally closer, and cumulatively, have put Axfx much closer than any other modelling has managed to get.

Rome was not built in a day.

"This dream's in sight" .. "the future looks bright" ..

I recognized it many times

That was not at all against fractal, they are i specifically said « my dream for a modeler ».

Been playing tube amps and analog gear all my life and just talked about what I miss. Because my playing relied on lot of those tones and characteristics, I’m so used to them.
My modeling journey started with a kemper, I was so disappointed, I wanted to throw that godamn thing through tue window each time I played it. Fractal is the only company that made me say « haaa finally i can play »

But I also think since I I read this forum that I’m not the only one missing about of those things. So it’s not a complain, it’s just talking about improvements.

Yep, if you blind test, even these "magic feel" guys fail too. Its idiotic. There are people that argue duracell sounds better than energizer in a fuzz pedal too. People that listen with their eyes.
I don’t talk about fractal latency but in general.

Latency is not a listening thing, it’s a physical feel. It’s the time difference between what you do physically and when you hear it.

I’m sensitive to latency, it was really disturbing for me to play with a kemper (plugged straight to monitors or console) I could really hear and feel it.
With fractal, It bothers me less as I can play without being annoyed by latency but I still can perceive if I concentrate on it.

i don’t care about ms, latency is not just a ear thing, it’s also physical

Heh, I guess I'm weird because my brain adjust to latency really easy. If I for example use poly capo, which add quite a bit of latency, I don't really notice it. I just play everything little bit ahead of the sound and my playing align with the rest of the band perfectly. I guess I just concentrate on the sound and I don't have to think about my fingering or picking. Of course the less latency the better, but not a big problem for me 🙂

Reactions: BTU
No I’m really aware of fletcher Munson.

My point is :

If a real amp and a real cab can get that tone printed on records with real mics (so no loud volume, no fletcher Munson involved when you listen to it) why that tone characteristic couldn’t be reproduced using modelers and ir?
Because that’s what it’s made for, aiming to reproduce the exact same tone as an amp/cab/mic combination.

That’s my question.

that’s why I talked earlier about the ghost notes.

Couldn’t be there someday some algorithms that can reproduce that pushed amp/cab characteristic?

Don’t you want to have that in your fractal? That’s a huge part of the cranked amp that are printed on records with mics.

That’s also why some people like me and I believe a lot of others like pushed amp, not for the gain but also for that characteristic.
Crank the volume of an ac30 and listen to that attack you get. This attack will sound the same if you put a mic in front of a cab and record it.
That’s a part of the realness of an amp.

I’m not saying fractal isn’t good, but that my dream modeler would do this, reproduce the exact same tone for those amps.
It may be not so important for a lot of amps, but for some amps it’s a huge part of the tone/feel.
My ears are getting older, but I’ve honestly never heard a recording (or sitting in a very large arena), where the guitar+amp sounded like a live amp. Smaller clubs, yes of course. The only way I have found to do this is with real cabs and guitar speakers. Honestly, that’s why I don’t use FRFR. They can sound great, but they don’t sound “right” in that sort of setting. I wish I could better define right. It’s just a human thing, for me.

Wow.....new on-board Dyna-Cabs.......View attachment 141612

Mind GIF
For some reason, I thought this wasn’t going to be possible going forward

After patching to 26.0 I am encountering a constant buzz on certain presets, anyone else having the same issue?
P.S: After reverting back to 25.04 the buzz goes away

My ears are getting older, but I’ve honestly never heard a recording (or sitting in a very large arena), where the guitar+amp sounded like a live amp. Smaller clubs, yes of course. The only way I have found to do this is with real cabs and guitar speakers. Honestly, that’s why I don’t use FRFR. They can sound great, but they don’t sound “right” in that sort of setting. I wish I could better define right. It’s just a human thing, for me.
I think you may have missed a couple of comments in this thread. Joshua is talking about this:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-26-00-public-beta.206024/post-2571295

He's talking about the recorded sound (eg a wav or mp3), not what you are using to listen to it

"Right"? It's mostly a question he's asking in varying words :

so again, the answer to that question is: it can!, and Fractal has been gradually accomplishing it here for years via incremental modelling improvements delivered in fw updates. Why is it so hard for some to acknowledge that obvious answer - is there some distance still to go - yes, but not much in manys' view. Why the focus on 100% now with language that sounds like "its not there and what's the problem getting it there"
It’s really close and better than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom