Axe-Fx III Firmware 26.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sat and played the Vibroverb AB today learning the correct way to play Riviera Paradise (learning is key here)…and holy shit I lost an afternoon because I was just lost in how amazing it was.
Vibroverb AB - believe it’s an Ownhammer VV IR - Studio Spring…

I hard tailed my strat, so I’m gettknf no love with the trem bar…

https://on.soundcloud.com/DMch5eu1oeDsYucLA

Thank you, Cliff. This thing makes me want to play.
You gave me nostalgia with this one. Good memories of me and my pops, he would sit with his acoustic, play a few bars of RP, then you would hear him stop, and a "dammit", and he would go again🤣He is still on his acoustic daily after breakfast and a morning Doobie. That led to me wanting to play guitar. I'm more of an 80s metal thrash/ melodic death metal guy, but I will never abandon SRV nor the good ol' blues either. Hope you nail it dude🙏👍

Back on this thread, I am over the top having a Celstion G12H in a dynacab. I’m not crazy about the 85Hz version. Is it possible for me to simulate the vintage 55Hz resonant-peak version of this speaker?
Is it stated somewhere that it is the 85Hz version or are you basing it on the impedance curve you see on the axe? Cuz that's likely of a closed back cab which pushes up the low res frequency, while Celestion's specs are about the speaker in free air.

Reactions: Rex
This 2x12 Stealth is so unbelievably versatile. I'm just taking the cab block from metal XTC preset that I posted, and putting every kind of amp I can think of in front of it, and they all sound great. At least with my guitar, this is proving to be a holy grail cab. The AB763 sounds amazing in front of it, as well as the SV20H, as well as the Archon. I can't get this thing to sound bad. Holy crap. I really really love the various DynaCabs in the firmware, but this is my favorite now. I should say that I always use cabs at 512 trim length to keep the sound as dry as possible, and I know that helps naturally keep out some lows. The ability to move these mics freely at a trimmed length is revolutionary to me. Absolutely nothing better. If anyone gives a shit, here's my cab block; just try it with whatever amp you like, and I wonder if it would well with your guitar too. Anyway, Happy Playing to all!

Attachments

• 2x12 Steath with two 57s_20240617_174749.blk
    1.3 KB · Views: 76
Is it stated somewhere that it is the 85Hz version or are you basing it on the impedance curve you see on the axe? Cuz that's likely of a closed back cab which pushes up the low res frequency, while Celestion's specs are about the speaker in free air.
It was just a comment, and not important for this beta thread. But since you asked, I’m referencing the speakers themselves. I use these old 1970’s heritage versions in half-back Marshall 4x12 cabs.

I played around with this beta yesterday, and haven’t found any issues. I only tried amp models of amps that didn’t originally have a master volume (in the traditional sense). Note that I just play, and don’t root around too much looking for bugs.

It was just a comment, and not important for this beta thread. But since you asked, I’m referencing the speakers themselves. I use these old 1970’s heritage versions in half-back Marshall 4x12 cabs.

I played around with this beta yesterday, and haven’t found any issues. I only tried amp models of amps that didn’t originally have a master volume (in the traditional sense). Note that I just play, and don’t root around too much looking for bugs.
I was just pointing out that the SIC and dynacabs could very well be from a 55Hz version even if you see a higher resonant frequency in the graph, that's all.

I was just pointing out that the SIC and dynacabs could very well be from a 55Hz version even if you see a higher resonant frequency in the graph, that's all.
Yup. Understood, thanks.

Maybe someday we’ll have the ability to virtually select and swap speaker models inside different cabinet types and styles! I’m sure that requires several new levels of computing-power.

I'm really liking this Firmware so far! It's fun to A/B real amps vs the models, so I made a couple short clips comparing my '93 Sampson era Matchless D-30 to the Matchbox D-30 and my '96 Marshall JCM Slash to the Brit Silver. The amps went into a Fractal LB-2 load box and the models used the LB-2 UK impedance curve with Speaker Drive, Speaker Compression, and Speaker Thump all at zero. Both the amps and the Axe-Fx III used the same IR and IR loading plugin in my DAW (no cab block was used in the Fractal). I used a looper pedal and started with the amp and model knobs in the same settings and fine-tuned them in by ear. I'm sure I could get closer, but it's already pretty dang close without making any drastic knob adjustments.

To me, they sound virtually identical when playing chords. It's truly remarkable, and I don't think anyone could tell the difference in a mix. Each amp's character really shines... even though both the Jubilee and the D-30 are all going through the same IR. The main difference I notice is in the transients. The models seem to have more compression (more noticeable in the Matchless). To show this, the clips start with the amp/model playing chords to show how similar they sound (no low/high cuts). The second part is meant to show the compression difference I was hearing/feeling.

If anyone knows how to lessen that compression to bring out more attack in the transients, I'd love to try your methods.

Anyway, here they are:

Marshall JCM Slash vs Brit Silver

Matchless D-30 vs Matchbox D-30

Great job, Cliff! Thank you for all of your hard work. The Axe-Fx III continues to be the best piece of musical equipment I've ever purchased.

I'm really liking this Firmware so far! It's fun to A/B real amps vs the models, so I made a couple short clips comparing my '93 Sampson era Matchless D-30 to the Matchbox D-30 and my '96 Marshall JCM Slash to the Brit Silver. The amps went into a Fractal LB-2 load box and the models used the LB-2 UK impedance curve with Speaker Drive, Speaker Compression, and Speaker Thump all at zero. Both the amps and the Axe-Fx III used the same IR and IR loading plugin in my DAW (no cab block was used in the Fractal). I used a looper pedal and started with the amp and model knobs in the same settings and fine-tuned them in by ear. I'm sure I could get closer, but it's already pretty dang close without making any drastic knob adjustments.

To me, they sound virtually identical when playing chords. It's truly remarkable, and I don't think anyone could tell the difference in a mix. Each amp's character really shines... even though both the Jubilee and the D-30 are all going through the same IR. The main difference I notice is in the transients. The models seem to have more compression (more noticeable in the Matchless). To show this, the clips start with the amp/model playing chords to show how similar they sound (no low/high cuts). The second part is meant to show the compression difference I was hearing/feeling.

If anyone knows how to lessen that compression to bring out more attack in the transients, I'd love to try your methods.

Anyway, here they are:

Marshall JCM Slash vs Brit Silver

Matchless D-30 vs Matchbox D-30

Great job, Cliff! Thank you for all of your hard work. The Axe-Fx III continues to be the best piece of musical equipment I've ever purchased.

good god that matchless sounds incredible.

The test is simple if someone can do it. I m not home yet.

Be in 25.04, create a preset with 2 citrus dynacab in the amp block. Save .

Then do all the process, update axe edit, load beta firmware, load new dynacab files …

Then Check your preset . Still the citrus dyna in your preset ? Me it was Friedman.

Just wanted to confirm this particular issue:

I had the same thing happen with any Citrus Cab.....all others (in my presets) were ported properly on upgrade.
All instances of Citrus Cab were changed to 4X12 5153 Stealth.

All others (even ones knocked out of sequence by addition of 2X12 5153 Stealth) ported fine.

Saved me from having to do it manually :cool:....but worth checking into.

Cheers

Last edited:

After setting the Master Volume to taste try increasing "Negative Feedback" ever so slightly, as well as "Supply Sag".

I generally seem to be setting the "Supply Sag" so there is only about 1dB compression (via the B+ meter), regardless of if the power amp is clipping or not (via the Headroom meter). Some amps benefit from increased "Supply Sag" but for punchy tones I like a stiffer power supply.

good god that matchless sounds incredible.
Man, that '93 D30 head is one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned and sounds incredible clean, broken up, driven to mid gain, and diming the volume while using a tele is one of the coolest distorted tones I've ever heard! That's an amp I really want to accurately match with the Fractal.

After setting the Master Volume to taste try increasing "Negative Feedback" ever so slightly, as well as "Supply Sag".

I generally seem to be setting the "Supply Sag" so there is only about 1dB compression (via the B+ meter), regardless of if the power amp is clipping or not (via the Headroom meter). Some amps benefit from increased "Supply Sag" but for punchy tones I like a stiffer power supply.
This is great! I definitely want it punchy since that's such a great quality of Class-A amps... when notes "explode" off the guitar as soon as you pluck a string. It's very dynamic and touch sensitive.

Looks like I need to play around with Negative Feedback and Supply Sag as well as the PI Bias Excursion ( thanks @yyz67 ) to get that model feeling snappy.

The Input Dynamics parameter is fun and something I'll probably use with other amps because it does give you more attack in a cool way, but I'd love to find a solution for the D30 that feels similar without adding gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom