Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.02 Release

I just experienced an odd bug. I was playing with the Double Verb factory preset. I was on the “Normal” scene and the only change I made was bypassing the delay and reverb blocks. After about 10 minutes I started hearing a high pitched tone through my monitors. Turning down the output on the Axe didn’t affect it, only a reboot made it stop.

Je viens de rencontrer un bug étrange. Je jouais avec le préréglage d'usine Double Verb. J'étais sur la scène « Normal » et le seul changement que j'ai apporté a été de contourner les blocs de delay et de réverbération. Après environ 10 minutes, j'ai commencé à entendre une tonalité aiguë sur mes moniteurs. La baisse de la sortie sur l'Ax ne l'a pas affecté, seul un redémarrage l'a arrêté.
I had a similar problem on Friday in rehearsal a high pitched noise on the sound system and the fx axis totally blocked I had to restart

Freshly installed 23.02. I have the following problem - Utilities -> Reset -> Clear All Presets doesn't work:
Clearing preset data ... -> takes a while
then remains on the menu, when I push HOME, preset is still there, as are all other.
Workaround - I kicked them out via the Editor.
FYI: Erasing the user cabs worked, no problems here.
This erases the presets from non-volatile memory. The presets are in still in RAM until you reboot. This allows a small bit of safety in case you decide "oh, crap, I didn't want to erase THIS preset".

I'm still having an issue: Each cab I have on is costing me 5% CPU. Never was like that before. I have gapless off on a Axe III non-turbo. See attached preset. Are you guys getting that same result? All cabs muted is 65%, then unmute one at a time and you go up by 5% each time to end at 85% with all 4 on. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Cab Hog 5%.fasBundle
    9.9 KB · Views: 4
I'm still having an issue: Each cab I have on is costing me 5% CPU. Never was like that before. I have gapless off on a Axe III non-turbo. See attached preset. Are you guys getting that same result? All cabs muted is 65%, then unmute one at a time and you go up by 5% each time to end at 85% with all 4 on. Thoughts?
Sounds about right to me. What resolution are the IRs?

Each IR slot that isn't muted uses additional CPU.

I've never looked at the CPU cost of IRs, but if this is something that you end up having to deal with, I'd just download the free Cab Lab 4 and mix the IRs into one. Hell, you can even use the IR Player if you're not doing anything fancy in the Cab Block right now. I haven't had a chance to look at your preset.

Also, if you're using factory IRs, then you could tone match your Cab Block to mix your four cabs to one. Best of luck!

Always been like that.

Since Satch has gone Modeler/FRFR, does he know that his JS410 has been reviewed at this FW, green channel added, and all channels sound glorious? (it is my favorite amp since it was implemented, even for Gilmour tones). Or maybe the question is: what are the conditions of Fender's endorsement to conform him to the Tone Master Pro for the Van Halen tribute? :D

Last edited:
Since Satch has gone Modeler/FRFR, does he know that his JS410 has been reviewed at this FW, green channel added, and all channels sound glorious? (it is my favorite amp since it was implemented, even for Gilmour tones). Or maybe the question is: what are the conditions of Fender's endorsement to conform him to the Tone Master Pro for the Van Halen tribute? :D
The FTM sounded horrible IMO on that Stern show the second clip of Summer Nights that just got posted the Fractal Marshall Satch model especially the new one sounds so much better to my ears

I've been on the latest firmware since it was posted. I find NOTHING wrong. Then again I don't pick at every little block and the % of CPU usage it drains. I instead create and modify my presets the way I like them, adding blocks, changing layout, adjusting settings, balancing the preset, and go "hey I'm still at a good CPU%".

Hi! I just experienced the same high pitch issue that some reported before. I just played on a simple preset like 30minutes and then it happens. Change preset have no effects, reboot the axe was the solution.

Axe 3 Mk2 turbo firmware 23.02, USB 1.15
axe edit 1.13.09 was running in the background.
Footswitch off and no daw open, so no midi signal and the axe is not as an audio interface this time, just playing through monitors.
CPU meter at 31.9%, I was on the same preset until the high pitch came.

First time I see that. I made a video, but what's the best way to share here?

Attachments

• Angle Severe.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Hoo, boy!

I've been living in FM9-land for quite a while. I really have not played the Axe Fx for several months.

Loaded this firmware and tested out the new gapless switching and Reverbs.

I am loving both, but the new Reverbs are so nice. I may become a Reverb in front of the amp guy! Not only the spring types, but I really like the Gold Plate in front.

Now the thing I've dreaded... I've got to wait and hope that these changes will trickle down to the FM9. :eek:

I think I'll be playing the Axe Fx more in the near future.
this is honestly what keeps me dragging this 40lb rack around, wanting to have the updates. If they were more in step with one another and go FM9 in a heartbeat

Hi! I just experienced the same high pitch issue that some reported before. I just played on a simple preset like 30minutes and then it happens. Change preset have no effects, reboot the axe was the solution.

Axe 3 Mk2 turbo firmware 23.02, USB 1.15
axe edit 1.13.09 was running in the background.
Footswitch off and no daw open, so no midi signal and the axe is not as an audio interface this time, just playing through monitors.
CPU meter at 31.9%, I was on the same preset until the high pitch came.

First time I see that. I made a video, but what's the best way to share here?

let's try that :D

Thank you again, Fractal for another delicious release!

I just got around to installing the latest firmware a couple of days ago. The switching improvements are remarkable, and the Reverb improvements are astounding.

We are all very lucky to benefit from Fractal's industry and integrity.

Thank you very much Fractal - well done!

now they have increased to 96%-97%.
Fractal recommends not going over 80% in the manual.

From the Wiki:
(Axe-Fx III) "If your CPU usage is high the display may not update as rapidly due to thread starvation. This is especially true right after bootup due to background tasks running." [10]
"As you exceed 85-90% resources start to become critical. That 10-15% has to get divided up among all the lower priority threads: USB, display, controllers, foot controller(s), LED, etc., etc. as well as pitch detection. Pitch detection is a higher priority thread but you can't get blood from a stone." [11]

You might have a hard time adjusting the presets because even the front-panel will be affected, but I'd try to reduce the Reverb quality to economy and the IR sizes to their minimum and maybe replace a block or two with shunts until the CPU is down to < 80%. It should be stable at that point and you can experiment further.

Back
Top Bottom