Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Release

As others have pointed out, 5% seems to be the magic number. I think that's the lowest it can go without affecting tone.
I just had to drop it from 5% to 3-4% to avoid clipping with my PRS Mark Holcolm SE (Seymour Duncan alpha/omega's). I haven't done any recording with the new settings, but It does feel strange that it would clip at 5% with passive pickups. I'll check my cables and take a look at some other settings, but it still seems unusual.

That does seem unusual. If I recall correctly, those pickup should be medium output, right? How high are the pickups raised? If I were you, I'd leave it at 5% and try lowering the pickups a bit and see what that does.

I just had to drop it from 5% to 3-4% to avoid clipping with my PRS Mark Holcolm SE (Seymour Duncan alpha/omega's). I haven't done any recording with the new settings, but It does feel strange that it would clip at 5% with passive pickups. I'll check my cables and take a look at some other settings, but it still seems unusual.
same with mine. I dropped the pickups down to get to 5% as well

You can go all the way down without affecting tone.
True story!

I did a test using a sine wave from my FM9 going into Input 1 of my Axe-Fx III (mark 1). Through the entire range of the A/D 'Input 1 / Instrument' parameter, the level entering the 'grid' only varied by '0.1' dB.

Put it wherever it needs to be to prevent the 'Clip warning' and move on.

To anyone having issues with clipping no matter your setting, try doing a Reset of the System Settings. I did this on my FM9 and now I can run my Majesty with the on-board Boost engaged without clipping. Same with my Axe Fx III.

Frankly, I’m not sure what difference that made as I’ve never adjusted those settings, except the Input Sensitivity, but that worked for me.

To anyone having issues with clipping no matter your setting, try doing a Reset of the System Settings. I did this on my FM9 and now I can run my Majesty with the on-board Boost engaged without clipping. Same with my Axe Fx III.

Frankly, I’m not sure what difference that made as I’ve never adjusted those settings, except the Input Sensitivity, but that worked for me.
Following your advice, I just did a full backup to be safe. Then I did a system settings reset. I was able to turn my input 1 Sensitivity up from 8% to 17.3% without clipping. I remembered it being like this several FW ago, and somehow over time/updates floated down. I hope this helps someone.

I would try lowering the pickups, imho they might be too close to the strings. You'll get more sustain out of it too.

I would try lowering the pickups, imho they might be too close to the strings. You'll get more sustain out of it too.
Go a quarter-turn of the screwdriver at a time. If they're close, small movements make big differences. The inverse square law applies for magnetic pickup sensitivity - double the distance means a quarter the voltage out (i.e., -12dB)....

Small moves, Sparks....

:)

Go a quarter-turn of the screwdriver at a time. If they're close, small movements make big differences. The inverse square law applies for magnetic pickup sensitivity - double the distance means a quarter the voltage out (i.e., -12dB)....

Small moves, Sparks....

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll give that a try and see how much it impacts the input. I may also give the systems setting reset suggestion a try if that doesn't seem to be significant enough. Just another note that I was generally at 15-20% on my AxeFX II Mk II. I'll report back in the morning.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/22p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_22p00.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Version 22 Introduces Dyna-Cab™ cabinet modeling.

The Cabinet block now has two modes of operation: Legacy and Dyna-Cab. Legacy is the previous style of operation.

Dyna-Cab cabinet modeling allows freely positioning the microphone. We took an approach of quality-over-quantity:

• Dyna-Cab IRs are a full 2048 samples.
  • Mic positions are sampled at a fine spatial resolution.
  • Four mic choices are available: Condenser, Ribbon and two Dynamic types.
  • All IRs are time-aligned with each other. They have been processed using a new algorithm that ensures alignment without destroying phase information. You can mix-and-match IRs from different cabs/mics and they'll always be perfectly aligned.
The Amp block now features “Auto Dyna-Cab Impedance”. When set to ON the speaker impedance curve of the Amp block will follow the Cabinet Type in the first mixer slot of the associated Cabinet block. I.e., if the Cab Type in the first mixer slot of Cabinet 1 is, say, 4x12 5153 and the Mode is Dyna-Cab then Amp 1’s speaker impedance will automatically be set to 4x12 5153. If both Amp and Cab blocks are in the grid then Amp 1 will follow Cab 1 and Amp 2 will follow Cab 2. If only Cab 1 is in the grid both Amp blocks will follow Cab 1.

Added “Treble Shift” control to Tone page of USA IIC+ models. This is an alias of the “Fat” control found on the Preamp page and performs the same function.

Added clip warning if Input 1 clips. This is indicated on the Mini-Tuner.

Added meters to Input page of I/O menu. Input 1 meter will turn red if clipping occurs.

Added Speaker Impedance Curves for “2x12 Class-A 30W Silver”, “2x10 Heart Key” and “4x12 1960BV”.

Added “4 Band JMPRE-1” type to Graphic EQ block. Note that the upper two bands of this type have more boost/cut range than the version in the Amp block.

Added “Revv Gen” amp models based on a Revv Generator 120. There are three models for each of the Purple and Red channels corresponding to the three levels of the “Aggression” switch.

Improved Amp block channel switching speed.

Fixed side-chain filters not working in Gate block.

Fixed a filter in the Wah block not being initialized.

Various other fixes and improvements.

You guys are the BEST!! Thank you. (I don't own an AX3, but hope to some day.)
I love your commitment to your product and your customers.

Same SIC curve.

One of the things I've always liked about the Axe III is that it didn't feel compressed, and actually felt like it had some "push back" like the real amp (I came from Kemper where every amp is over-compressed). This FW feels almost like there's a marshmallow between the guitar and amp, like the attack is indistinct.
I am getting, by far, the best pick attack I have ever experienced with a modeller. I have struggled with mushy top end with many IRs, but no longer. Maybe try to reset the amp and cab block channels from the front of the unit. (might be different defaults in the new firmware compared to the Axe-edit). Plug in your old settings after reseting. If that doesn't do it, I would try to re-install the FW/dyna-cab files.

The inverse square law applies for magnetic pickup sensitivity - double the distance means a quarter the voltage out (i.e., -12dB
Good rule of thumb.

I wonder, though, if the actual field response (or effective signal strength) might be more subtle (sub 1/d^2) given finite size pole area (as well as SC vs HB) and a linear ferromagnetic string moving in the field. I recall some nasty E&M problems calculating fields and forces.

I did a quick search and couldn't find a clear answer, but found this. Here, HB falloff appears shallower than SC, but the screw pitch is different (HB 0.021” vs SC 0.031”)! Difficult to tell what's going on without actual distance measurement and using vibrating strings as a signal source.

Relative magnetic field of a PAF by "screw turns":
Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 11.02.34 AM.png

Single coil:
Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 11.05.22 AM.png

Small moves, Sparks....

i thought magnetic field distance followed the inverse cube, not square.….but different with pole pieces? monopole?

I am getting, by far, the best pick attack I have ever experienced with a modeller. I have struggled with mushy top end with many IRs, but no longer. Maybe try to reset the amp and cab block channels from the front of the unit. (might be different defaults in the new firmware compared to the Axe-edit). Plug in your old settings after reseting. If that doesn't do it, I would try to re-install the FW/dyna-cab files.
Oh, no man, I took your earlier advice (losing the 1960TV and Friedman cabs) and I'm getting the best tones I've ever had with the Axe III and that's saying something! This was a HUGE improvement over my IR-based presets.

Good rule of thumb.

I wonder, though, if the actual field response (or effective signal strength) might be more subtle (sub 1/d^2) given finite size pole area (as well as SC vs HB) and a linear ferromagnetic string moving in the field. I recall some nasty E&M problems calculating fields and forces.

I did a quick search and couldn't find a clear answer, but found this. Here, HB falloff appears shallower than SC, but the screw pitch is different (HB 0.021” vs SC 0.031”)! Difficult to tell what's going on without actual distance measurement and using vibrating strings as a signal source.

Relative magnetic field of a PAF by "screw turns":
View attachment 122364

Single coil:
View attachment 122365
Keep in mind that Alnico 5 magnets have greater force than Alnico 2,3, or 4 and that direct magnets will be different than magnetic force being transferred through steel poles, screws or blades: other factors include depth of the wound coils, proportion of nickel in the steel the strings are made of, etc. Easiest to just make adjustments by ear, because there won't be a universal optimal distance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom