Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Release

It’s not a problem, per se, but it’s not necessarily desirable either. You can reduce the Instrument/Input 1 sensitivity in the I/O menu to prevent clipping.

I tried to reduce the input, but even with very low values it still does the same thing.

Thanks for your answer

I tried to reduce the input, but even with very low values it still does the same thing.

Thanks for your answer
For a reference point: with a Seymour Duncan JB, I have to set it slightly below 10% to keep the clip warning from showing when I hit the strings really hard.

None of my guitars show the clip warning with the input controls set at default (50%) as they were set when I first purchased the unit…I have never changed them. I have a number of guitars (Les Pauls, PRS Pauls and Studio, Rickenbacker 360-6, Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, etc. None of my guitars are “high-gain” and are outfitted with standard pickups that are typical for the make and model of each guitar. Are others with standard pickups finding that they do not need to make any input adjustments with the new firmware also?

Are others with standard pickups finding that they do not need to make any input adjustments with the new firmware also?
Couple of things: the new firmware itself doesn't really affect the signal levels (IIRC). The warning is the only new addition. If you are seeing the warning now, then you were clipping the input even in older firmwares.

Secondly, I have Dimarzios in most of my guitars. Some are higher output (Evolution, Dominion, Evo 2) but most of them are in the upper range of medium output (Fortitude, Dark Matter 2, etc.). Don't know how "standard" those pickups are by your definition, but my input levels are set at ~35% and I don't see the warning at all.

None of my guitars show the clip warning with the input controls set at default (50%) as they were set when I first purchased the unit…I have never changed them. I have a number of guitars (Les Pauls, PRS Pauls and Studio, Rickenbacker 360-6, Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, etc. None of my guitars are “high-gain” and are outfitted with standard pickups that are typical for the make and model of each guitar. Are others with standard pickups finding that they do not need to make any input adjustments with the new firmware also?
I can tickle the red using lower output vintage PAF type pickups, all I have to do is dig in. Can do it with my tele broadcaster type too. Depends on the player. Iirc mine is down around 20% at present. Not on fw22 yet either.

Ymmv.

It's basic and pretty simple. Just set it so that it no longer shows its clipping and you are finished.

i left the input settings where they were when the unit was new and never saw the red but saw my levels going full-yellow and the sound obtained was fine so I just left the settings alone. Since my guitars all have relatively low to medium output pickups I guess this is why I do not see the overload message. Thanks for the info everyone.

Last edited:
You are on the right track with the Div13, but the other three aren't really the thing. I guess the Chiefman is as close as we have to a G12H30. Try turning the PEQ, the multiband comp, and the 4x12 cabs off for a minute and see what that sounds like.
Man, thanks for this! I killed the 1960TV and Friedman and replaced them with the Chiefman and /13 with Ribbon mic's and it's so good now!

It's so funny; I couldn't stop thinking about that while I was playing through it. Sometimes the best tones come from breaking the laws of physics.

I often stick too much to real world equivalents in the Axe, and that so defeats the point. The Axe-FX III makes so many weird things possible, it's reminding me that I need always to remember there are no rules in audio. Any kind of mod or nonsensical great combination can be just the ticket to what you want to say with your guitar. You ears are king, and if you have a weird way to do something, if it sounds good, it is good.
That’s what I think is interesting about the units. We can make changes and see what happens without worrying about sparks flying or filling the room with smoke.

For a reference point: with a Seymour Duncan JB, I have to set it slightly below 10% to keep the clip warning from showing when I hit the strings really hard.
My results are similar. The loudest pickups I have are 9.5K resistance, 42 gauge wire, A5 mags...essentially an extra-overwound PAF. I'm set at 9.8 I think

Resistance measurements are ballpark at best. my 594 has pickups that are 8.1K, and I have to run it at 8%. PIckup up height, how heavy your hand is, magnet material are all things that make it almost a silly way to measure them.

Resistance measurements are ballpark at best. my 594 has pickups that are 8.1K, and I have to run it at 8%. PIckup up height, how heavy your hand is, magnet material are all things that make it almost a silly way to measure them.
You forgot guitar and resonance of the wood among other things. Its a custom pickup so I can’t say “JB” and have everyone understand. Best I can do is tell you what wire and magnet because I don’t know how many winds it takes to get it to be what it is. Would medium hot PAF work better for you? Its a similar output to a JB which uses the same mag but lighter gauge wire, and thus more turns so it reads higher in terms of resistance.

Back
Top Bottom