Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Release

I get what you are saying and I appreciate your feedback. I dialed in, by ear, something I liked before I read any articles on what different mic positions may do to the sound. But once I found some positions I liked, I wanted to understand it a bit more! I like to have some logic behind why it is better and what I read there made sense with where I eventually chose to position the mics. As you said, you had a default position you like, and it did not work out. But you did have that starting point. I had no starting point and after reading that article, I will have a better idea of what to do in the future with mic placement in Fractal or real world products using some basic guidelines (other than my ears, the ultimate judge). I also would have made it to my mic placement destination faster if this knowledge had already been in my quiver, which is what I hope reading that (or other similar) article(s) will do for others ;~)) Great new feature and I am looking forward to dialing it in further to reach my tonal nirvana!!
Here’s your starting point:

1) Dead center is usually too bright. All the way to the edge of the cone is usually too dark.

2) Zero distance from the speaker is usually too boomy. Large distance from the speaker is usually too little body.

That’s it. Where’s the sweet spot? It depends on the speaker. And the mic. And the amp. And how you’ve dialed in the amp. And what kind of tone you’re going for. And...

Last edited:
Here’s your starting point:

1) Dead center is usually too bright. All the way to the edge of the cone is usually too dark.

2) Zero distance demo the speaker is usually too boomy. Large distance from speaker is usually too little body.

That’s it. Where’s the sweet spot? It depends on the speaker. And the mic. And the amp. And how you’ve dialed in the amp. And what kind of tone you’re going for. And...
Thanks for that feedback! Any words of wisdom on Ribbon vs Dynamic vs Condenser?

Okay, first switching test is phenomenal:

Channel A Solo 100 Lead to Channel B Plexi 50W 6CA7. Dude, it sound f**cking gapless! I'm about to freak out here, because this changes things for all of us gapless freaks.
Chiming in to +1 this...I had been working on trying to migrate from Scenes that used both Amp Blocks to get away from gaps when switching. After some minimal testing on the new Firmware, seems like the gaps are completely gone.

My tests involved Scenes switching from:
  • Amp Block 1 - Friedman HBE C45
  • Amp Block 2 - USA JP IIC+ Yelow
to
  • Amp Block 1 - Class-A 30W
  • Amp Block 2 - Shiver Clean
Both blocks always on and with dual cab blocks always on as well. Each Cab Block changes in conjunction with the amp changes as well.

Last time I tested was on 19.06 and these same tests always resulted in audible gaps. Seems like Firmware 22 got me to gapless as far as I can tell!

Thanks for this update FAS!

Dang that Revv Purple took about .7 seconds to dial in a good tone with. Gotta love those good Canadian amp building kids.

I'm very impressed with the Dynacab workflow. There is something about dialing the cab in visually that makes it feel more like a studio experience than choosing IR's from a list. Sure, both can get you to the same place sonically but the Dynacabs just feel more like you are dialing something in versus throwing darts.

I'm hopeful for this tech to migrate its way down the lineup if possible, so I and especially those FAS clients that can only own one can also use it on the FM9 and/or FM3.

Any words of wisdom on Ribbon vs Dynamic vs Condenser?
Yes.

1) Pick one mic. From the starting points I listed above, dial it in to what sounds best to you. Then swap in a different mic, and see how it changes the sound.

I can't adequately describe the difference in sound between mics to someone who's never heard it before. It's like trying to describe what a steak tastes like to someone who's never tasted meat. No matter how you word it, that person will have no idea until they try it themselves. Spend five minutes doing what i just wrote, and you'll understand it better than if someone lectured you for an hour.

Yes.

1) Pick one mic. From the starting points I listed above, dial it in to what sounds best to you. Then swap in a different mic, and see how it changes the sound.

I can't adequately describe the difference in sound between mics to someone who's never heard it before. It's like trying to describe what a steak tastes like to someone who's never tasted meat. No matter how you word it, that person will have no idea until they try it themselves. Spend five minutes doing what i just wrote, and you'll understand it better than if someone lectured you for an hour.
Yes.

Once we have the sound of the condenser, the ribbon and the two dynamic mics in our head, then it makes more sense why we want to mix multiple mics. At that point it makes sense to experiment by moving the mic from the center to midway across the cone to the edge, and from the center of the cone to partway, then as far away from the cone as possible. To the side, and farther back have their own affect on the sound, akin to picking the strings next to the bridge or farther toward the fingerboard, and we can take advantage of the differences.

Axe edit wont display the names of the cabs in the drop down menu when in dyna cab. Or play them. I updated axe edit, fractal bot, and installed fm22 and dynacabs. What am I probably missing?

Axe edit wont display the names of the cabs in the drop down menu when in dyna cab. Or play them. I updated axe edit, fractal bot, and installed fm22 and dynacabs. What am I probably missing?
Go to your axe edit 3 screen go to settings at the top and go down to refresh after new firmware click that and you should see the Dyna cabs

Are the cut, bright and fat switches on the Revv model functionally identical to the real amp?
nope, but my speculation is that cliff made models with bright switch active, because real amp and model is pretty dull when bright switch is not enabled, even with strat style guitars.

cut switch is amazing and would be nice to know what trick to use inside fractal to have this. Maybe Cliff will chime in later about it :)

Last edited:
Hiya, anyone got any ideas on this please?

I had the beta installed and was working fine. This morning I updated AXA Edit, backed up, installed 22 RC, rebooted, installed the dyacabs, rebooted again. It then automatically refreshed on its own fast as usual . I then tried to add a few new presets to try out and they wouldn't save. It then decided to refresh on its own again, but snails pace. I've rebooted a few times and it still won't save these presets

Ideas?

Yes.

Yeah, I have a pretty descent mic locker (Rode NTR ribbon mic, SM7B, SM58, SM57, SM57 Beta, PG58, pair of SM81L's for acoustic guitar micing), so it is not like I have never eaten steak before (I do need to get a good condenser though, big hole in my locker) ;~)) And I too could not describe them very well to my self or others, but I know what I use them for (just have never miced a guitar cabinet, nor a drum kit for that matter) and what I like. I was just thinking there was bits like "classic rock was always a condenser, jazz guys like to use ribbons, if you want a fatter sound - use a condenser", etc. I have already done some testing with my ears, and will do more of that than anything else, just fishing for tidbits of wisdom! Thanks for sharing yours!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom