Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if part of the agita here, to piggyback on some thoughts already presented, is the placement of suggestions in this thread rather than in wishlist threads. And maybe this is where some guidance from FAS would be good for us. Are beta threads really best left only to general feedback and bug reports, and suggestions for changes specifically omitted?

I'm not a developer, so I don't know what the etiquette is for beta testing. I'm trying turn my head at a different angle to see if my suggestions in this thread also come across as shitty and spoiled, because I always mean them to be helpful, but that's easy for me to think when I'm not creating the thing.

As a layman, I hear the word beta and I hear: this is a work in progress, do you testers have any suggestions to make this work more effectively for the way you use this software in the real world. I as the developer may accept our reject these suggestions, but this gives me a wider view for how my work is used in different scenarios, and how I may tweak it to be more effective for different purposes.

Or maybe beta really means, just make sure it doesn't have any bugs. Save the wider suggestions for another software version. You're missing the point; I just need to make sure it works as designed, and I don't need any design ideas from you in this particular report.

Or maybe it means something else that I'm missing.

This might clarify what FAS needs from us as beta testers and how to treat these opportunities respectfully.

I wonder if part of the agita here, to piggyback on some thoughts already presented, is the placement of suggestions in this thread rather than in wishlist threads. And maybe this is where some guidance from FAS would be good for us. Are beta threads really best left only to general feedback and bug reports, and suggestions for changes specifically omitted?

I'm not a developer, so I don't know what the etiquette is for beta testing. I'm trying turn my head at a different angle to see if my suggestions in this thread also come across as shitty and spoiled, because I always mean them to be helpful, but that's easy for me to think when I'm not creating the thing.

As a layman, I hear the word beta and I hear: this is a work in progress, do you testers have any suggestions to make this work more effectively for the way you use this software in the real world. I as the developer may accept our reject these suggestions, but this gives me a wider view for how my work is used in different scenarios, and how I may tweak it to be more effective for different purposes.

Or maybe beta really means, just make sure it doesn't have any bugs. Save the wider suggestions for another software version. You're missing the point; I just need to make sure it works as designed, and I don't need any design ideas from you in this particular report.

Or maybe it means something else that I'm missing.

This might clarify what FAS needs from us as beta testers and how to treat these opportunities respectfully.
+1 - clarification of that sort would be good. I understand betas to be a call for both bug reports and reasonably stated "1st impression" statements on usability which could include comments on what a user may find difficult and why (the "why" may well contain comments on alternate ways a user finds easier to help describe the "why"). Though I understand Fractal's frustration, I'm kinda floored by some of the over-the-top reaction posts and characterization of fellow members here. I think it also needs to be recognized that many users take time to analytically consider beta releases and provide Fractal with feedback of value to them. If Fractal were to state that they only wanted a certain kind of beta feedback, then I would restrict myself to that even if I thought other comments could apply (tho if it would be paired down to "nothing good to say, then say nothing" I'd be wondering why bother having a 2ndary beta). With open-ended beta feedback, one can expect some off-the-wall comments and tangents - from my experience, it is what it is and not easy to manage but worth it for the developer to get important user feedback. In the mean time, the effect of the reaction here for
me personally, is that I'm kinda feeling muted wrt further beta feedback since I wonder if my comments here so far are falling into some of the more "colorful" categories cited above.

Last edited:
Just an observation, as a user and forum member since the beginning. This forum has been probably the most useful and informative source for the Fractal units that I know of. However, the amount of new members has increased dramatically, and it has changed! Formerly one could get on the forum and find answers and get help with issues, and actually discussed them. I’m talking about real issues! However, recently it has became a place for people to exercise their rights to say what they want to vent about, and what they are entitled to. I see multiple posts that repeat questions that are answered by the first post by Cliff when a new firmware or beta is released. That’s irritating but understandable if you don’t get in the discussion early, who wants to read through all of the crap which is 90% these days and you can’t even find those answers. besides so many don’t want to read anything, they just want someone else to do it for them.
Heck Cliff himself is going to other forums to post about things that normally should be here! Get a clue!
The issue with the paragon wah, is an excellent example. There’s been so much crap posted that it got lost. I personally have came to the point that I just dread opening some of the threads these days looking for something helpful and then close it in frustration, upset asking yourself why you even tried ? Simply because somebody had the right and is entitled. Come on people, have some respect for others. They have rights as well! By all means, post it, but Let’s keep things on topic here and post all the crap where it belongs, in other threads others don’t have to filter through, not this one. Getting these public beta’s is a privilege it’s not a right! Cliff doesn’t have to do this. If you’ll pay attention he’s eager to share the new discoveries and wants everyone to experience them as soon as possible. As a matter fact, the experience of the Fractal products is a privilege as well not a right! Be respectful. Don’t spoil it.
Spanking expected.
“Give a Hoot, don’t pollute”

I'm not a developer, so I don't know what the etiquette is for beta testing.

The purpose of a beta is to solicit feedback, both positive and negative. Being a beta, there is room to make changes before the production release, so, as a developer, you want to know what things are good and what things are bad. You want to know where you hit the intended target and where you fell short, so you can make changes accordingly. That includes praise, criticism, suggestions, bug reports, and subjective impressions. You're close to the goal line, so there are limits on what changes can be made, but it's important to avoid placing excessive restrictions on what kind of feedback beta testers will provide.

If you resume this topic there is nothing so special .
  • a wah doesn’t work anymore
  • some people like the dynacab
  • some people prefer their irs
  • some people want more cab and mics
  • some people calm the wishes saying that the product don’t have space anymore (me after reading what Cliff said)
That’s all … who died ?

So someone have tried the alternate version or am I the only one ?

play some minutes with the actual dynamic mic, the sm57

Open the new fractal bot

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/fractal-bot/beta/Fractal-Bot-v3p00p16-b1.zip

Put that in it :

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/22p0/dyna_cabs_alt.zip

Play with the dynamic sm7b now 🕺🏻

Which one do you prefer ?
I tried both.

I have always been an sm57 hater on guitars. My favorite mic in the 80s and 90s on guitar cabs was the Neumann KM84 or the newer KM184 in a stereo pair in the middle of the whole cab and not in front of the cone or speaker at all. These were about 6" back and with a loud amp at about 100DB, these mics sound glorious. My next favorite was the E906 right on the dust cap center. Then the 57 + 121 was the next best for me and my clients.

I however actually prefer the SM57 over the SM7b in this case, though. The 57 with the Ribbon seems to be right as it should be for rock guitars.
The condenser is right there with my love for the Neumann KM mics but can handle higher SPL, so that is really good for cranked amps (a plexi cranked, anyone).

Last edited:
Looks like you didn't get Joshua_L's message in the context of the the message he replied to - which again was a reply to another message. Joshua_L argues for taking full controll and responsibility as much as possible - by being prepared and having your sounds sorted out, so you can give the sound guy an XLR out instead of fiddling with a microphone.
This may very well be the case. 54 pages long and I’m not here every day. If so, I stand corrected although my point should stand for others.
As an example, there are professionalism issues in my own band. Guys/gal dont know how their own gear works, have no backups and always look to the next person to solve it. Much like driving, in this environment you have to do the driving for everyone else on the road, too. Otherwise you may have an accident equaling a bad performance. I’m at the point I wish some soundguys we work with would just dump the speakers and go home. I dont need a 6th band member playing the feedback half the night. I can do that all on my own and save X00 dollars.

If you resume this topic there is nothing so special .
  • a wah doesn’t work anymore
  • some people like the dynacab
  • some people prefer their irs
  • some people want more cab and mics
  • some people calm the wishes saying that the product don’t have space anymore (me after reading what Cliff said)
That’s all … who died ?

So someone have tried the alternate version or am I the only one ?
I tried it. It sounds really good, but I still prefer the 57. There will be plenty that prefer the alt mics, I'm sure. Whichever Cliff goes with in the final will be fine. They both sound good.

I have always been an sm57 hater on guitars. My favorite mic in the 80s and 90s on guitar cabs was the Neumann KM84 or the newer KM184 in a stereo pair in the middle of the whole cab and not in front of the cone or speaker at all. These were about 6" back and with a loud amp at about 100DB, these mics sound glorious.

I love the 57 on recordings, but whenever I play through a mic'd up 57 or a 57 impulse I don't get the sound I'm after. So similarly I gravitated toward other things.
Just tried the Dynacab condenser in a stereo pair (the 4x12 Mesa Straight) about 15.25 centimeters away from the speaker, nudged one of them a little off the center. It's a very nice sound, especially with the JP2C and the other Mesa Mark models I like so much. It's a great sound, it fit in a couple of trial mixes I was playing with just straight in, no EQ or anything. Mixing it further would probably be very easy

Thanks for sharing that, I'd never have come up with that myself.

First of all I would like to thank Cliff for providing us with the alternative variant of the DynaCabs.
I have now tested both versions and recorded some temporary samples for myself.
The SM7 sounds pretty good on its own, but I still have to admit that I would prefer the SM57, because in connection with the other two mic types you have a stronger own color available.
It's a lot of fun how quickly you get good results - I'm really looking forward to the finished release of the DynaCab.

The People: There are too many IRs. I can't decide which ones I like.
Cliff: Here's a decent handful with moveable mics. Make your own custom IRs quickly and easily.
Also the People: We need a couple thousand more cabs and mics! Especially my one of a kind 1967 Pantflapper1000 cab with 8" Heathkit speakers. And the Flugel FML 27 is the best mic for that cab. But it has to be on the other side of the wall. That should be super easy to add.
Cliff: SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom