Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a dumb question, but I did search through the threads to try and find an answer, but....Is there any way to turn the "input clip" warning off? I kinda go by my ears, and I just like the tone I get when I clip the input. I tried turning it down to the point of no clipping, but I had to turn it waaaaay down, and it just kinda lost some of the bite I had with a hotter input, and I just prefer it a little "hot". Just wondering.....

When I was writing code and testing for big software companies, "beta" was supposed to be feature-complete and mostly focused on finding bugs. We went to specific power users and asked if they'd like to participate in our open-beta and spelled out the requirements.

The Alpha-stage is when features are added and tested for usability, and the software is tested for stability.

Private beta is when they're more likely to encounter errors because the software needed more eyes than the internal test team had. Often we're bouncing between firmware versions multiple times daily, resetting the system and globals, comparing behavior in the releases, tearing apart our usual configurations, and then writing up a summary of the things we did. Occasionally we offer suggestions to improve what's there, but mostly it's about testing. Open-beta happens after private-beta has knocked out the errors found and we've said it looks stable.

The purpose of open-beta is to expose the software to many more eyes, environments and uses than what the private-beta team came up with, but it's still for testing. Feature requests don't belong in beta, they come after the final release, then get weighed and incorporated during the next alpha phase; Beta is supposed to focus on stability because new features or extending them could cause the development process to revert back to the alpha phase.

In large software groups, audits occur and varying from an approved development life-cycle can cause them to fail the audit unless they can show how they're actually implementing the steps informally.

FAS bends the software development life cycle a bit because small teams have very close communication and can get away with it. Unfortunately, people in open-beta have been acting like an unruly mob or wolves feasting on prey. I wouldn't be surprised if the beta process has some changes as a result.

That's why I think Cliff said what he said; People think it's an opportunity to dog-pile the process and wish…demand new things, subverting the actual reason for having open-beta. That behavior, when seen again and again, REALLY wears on developers.

THANK YOU! For those of us that are not developers your post provides a much needed overview of the process…and most importantly, an excellent discussion on what is expected and desired from testers by the development team dusing the Beta Test period.

And they are also touring musicians like me that are a little tired to do the guitar work AND work for the sound guy
I’m not sure what you mean by this, but i’m just saying that there are multiple sides to this.
(and maybe you express yet another/your side?)

The dyna-cabs do sound very good, but different. I need to reset my ears by playing for a while.
We have the choices of both, so it should work for everyone. I found a mix of TX 2x12 and Friedman GB that worked really well.

I’m not sure what you mean by this, but i’m just saying that there are multiple sides to this.
(and maybe you express yet another/your side?)

The dyna-cabs do sound very good, but different. I need to reset my ears by playing for a while.
We have the choices of both, so it should work for everyone. I found a mix of TX 2x12 and Friedman GB that worked really well.
I was not talking about the dynacabs or the fractal or any gear in particular.

It was first about the « too much bass/ not enough bass » debate.

I was saying, that nowadays, the job consists of being a skilled guitarist and also being a sound engineer that knows how to dial a great guitar tone to FOH, while being mainly monitored with in ears only because of silent stages.

I was saying that I’m a little tired of this, and now I have to set my sounds as « compromises » between what I want to hear in my in ears and what goes to foh.

When we only had miced amps on stage, we didn’t care at all about those low cuts and high cuts, it was the sound guy job.

I miss that a lot, but things have changed.

I was not talking about the dynacabs or the fractal or any gear in particular.

It was first about the « too much bass/ not enough bass » debate.

I was saying, that nowadays, the job consists of being a skilled guitarist and also being a sound engineer that knows how to dial a great guitar tone to FOH, while being mainly monitored with in ears only because of silent stages.

I was saying that I’m a little tired of this, and now I have to set my sounds as « compromises » between what I want to hear in my in ears and what goes to foh.

When we only had miced amps on stage, we didn’t care at all about those low cuts and high cuts, it was the sound guy job.

I miss that a lot, but things have changed.
Yes we all do that . Being in an amateur band now it is like that.you Practice, you record/mix/master yourself, you do the cover art, you promote, social medias, you do the music videos yourself, you search for the venues,you do your live sound, you sell the merch, you drive, well. Every part is normally a full time job. That’s why the global industry is slowly but surely dying . And the best of it is that the public want everything for free in the end and skip your song after listened to it 15 seconds in their phone. I know that is a pretty dark view, but as I start doing Gigs in ‘95, I see how everything becomes impossible to live with. I don’t gig anymore since the covid, and don’t really want to return on stage. When you see all the energy you spent for such a small result . Well.

Attachments

• IMG_6736.jpeg
    IMG_6736.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 29
I was saying, that nowadays, the job consists of being a skilled guitarist and also being a sound engineer that knows how to dial a great guitar tone to FOH
That was always somewhat the case if you were not just jamming in a room in someone's house

Knowing how to dial in your gear and having notes on what mics as well as placement are what you like helped avoid sound man or recording studio horror stories throughout the history of multitrack recording and live FOH systems.

The meaningless player descriptions such as more organic, more hair, more red, thinner, or fatter are always a point for debate as no two people have the same mental picture of what the term sounds like.

That was always somewhat the case if you were not just jamming in a room in someone's house

Knowing how to dial in your gear and having notes on what mics as well as placement are what you like helped avoid sound man or recording studio horror stories throughout the history of multitrack recording and live FOH systems.

The meaningless player descriptions such as more organic, more hair, more red, thinner, or fatter are always a point for debate as no two people have the same mental picture of what the term sounds like.
Where my amps were 🎤 I never told the sound guy where to put mics and how eq them . You bring your « live sound » on stage and the sound guy is here to make it audible the best he can for the audience. I always see it like that . Then maybe it depends the country’s or scenes or …the world is big

Yes we all do that . Being in an amateur band now it is like that.you Practice, you record/mix/master yourself, you do the cover art, you promote, social medias, you do the music videos yourself, you search for the venues,you do your live sound, you sell the merch, you drive, well. Every part is normally a full time job. That’s why the global industry is slowly but surely dying . And the best of it is that the public want everything for free in the end and skip your song after listened to it 15 seconds in their phone. I know that is a pretty dark view, but as I start doing Gigs in ‘95, I see how everything becomes impossible to live with. I don’t gig anymore since the covid, and don’t really want to return on stage. When you see all the energy you spent for such a small result . Well.
Yeah exactly this, these days, clubs, locations etc. are asking you, what you are wanna pay to play live in their location.

Yeah exactly this, these days, clubs, locations etc. are asking you, what you are wanna pay to play live in their location.
That is nothing new. They were doing this in the 80s and 90s as well. It was the better venues that understood back then that when you paid bands well you attract a larger crowd and more people will order drinks and bring more people the next time.

The whole pay-to-play thing circulates for a bit and then goes away only to return. Clubs are doing it again because the music industry is ripe for a full redo and the club owners can now take advantage of the musicians.

Or they told you that they don’t pay the band because behind you they are 50 bands that want to play for free, and that you have your merch to live with. And now the new joke is that the venues take like 20 or 30% of your merch sales! 🤣🤦
You know what ? I start doing YouTube videos, 1, 2, 3 now I have 1200 videos . I have 19 millions of views, have gently sold my records worldwide, where everything was local before, have sold hundreds and hundreds of kemper and axe fx packs, all of this while staying home. So fuck that. I am ultra passionate in music, and these assholes treat us like shit.

I just started writing a song, went to DynaCab on my patch, loaded up two condensers and one ribbon.

(Tried someone else’s suggestion to back off about 12 cm on a pair … 👍)

miraculous recovery GIF

You ever see me doing this - shoot me - especially if my hair looked like that

Or they told you that they don’t pay the band because behind you they are 50 bands that want to play for free, and that you have your merch to live with. And now the new joke is that the venues take like 20 or 30% of your merch sales! 🤣🤦
You know what ? I start doing YouTube videos, 1, 2, 3 now I have 1200 videos . I have 19 millions of views, have gently sold my records worldwide, where everything was local before, have sold hundreds and hundreds of kemper and axe fx packs, all of this while staying home. So fuck that. I am ultra passionate in music, and these assholes treat us like shit.
Yeah!
I was a payed, good payed studio and live musician.
Of course I do play for free and for fun but not when it’s my job.
Musicians today don’t get what they deserve.
That was one of the reasons I quit doing professional music and decided to do it just as a Hobby.

I did not say that.

Knowing how to dial an amp/pedalboard tone is not the same.

When we were just doing our job with amps it was the foh guy’s job to know how to mic a cab.

I didn’t mean you didn’t have to care about your tone at all. :)

And the « beefy » « hairy » or whatever was applied to guitar tone, not translated to foh tones.

Yeah!
I was a payed, good payed studio and live musician.
Of course I do play for free and for fun but not when it’s my job.
Musicians today don’t get what they deserve.
That was one of the reasons I quit doing professional music and decided to do it just as a Hobby.
You spend 10/20/30k of gear to record, a lifetime of practice, and you have people in front of you giving you free beers and food. 🤣 The middle ages are back, the musicians are there to beg on the street like before 😅. I am also at a turning point in my life. But no matter what, I'll keep playing guitar until my fingers want it.

Well sorry for the off topic
We all have our problems hm?

Beta continues to be both astounding and bug free, based upon my use-case.

Can anyone recommend a supporting source, explaining the art of mic placement, relative to tone / EQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom