Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that was the problem…….a whole lotta beta whiners and not a lotta testers? Don’t know……
well - would be too bad to lose it because I think it's good for testers and developers and fun for users to participate in productively - maybe just a few guidelines would really help the process as suggested by Mr Epicicity earlier. I don't think the name calling helps as I did not see what looked like many / any intentionally disruptive comments - but lots confused maybe about what the beta intent / expected feedback is and accidently "stepping in it". I don't rule myself out - I could be more off the rail than anyone lol, but I took the betas as a chance to genuinely participate in Fractal's dev process - if I got it totally wrong and that's not what it is, then I'll stay out of the betas and go in at gen release - not cuz I'm p.o.'d somehow - just cuz it's not what i thought.

Last edited:
Could we perhaps stop rehashing what went wrong in this thread now? I think there’s been some good discussion on that point, and we can get back to the cabs without giving the fire any more oxygen.

I’ll start: My name is Tyson, and I like dynacabs because I’m useless at choosing IRs.

Could we perhaps stop rehashing what went wrong in this thread now? I think there’s been some good discussion on that point, and we can get back to the cabs without giving the fire any more oxygen.

I’ll start: My name is Tyson, and I like dynacabs because I’m useless at choosing IRs.
Yeah, I'd like that a LOT, thanks for suggesting it.

I am having a great time with Dyna-Cab, and I am one of the SM57 Sounds Great club members. It behaves very much like the real world SM57.

I do like the IRs as well, but this is a fantastic and needed upgrade to the Fractal flagship and I can definitely see myself using the Dyna-Cabs more frequently and perhaps replacing many of the IRs, depending on what cabs wind up in final release. Also looking forward to seeing what miracles the 3rd party vendors come up with.

If this beta is at all what the final release has in store for us, I can't wait to get there!

Count me in👍🏻

What I like about the dyna-cab is that I can do what I always have done in real life, before IRs came along, and get there in seconds rather that minutes of IR swapping until the IR comes close enough to eq after.

I think mic choices are sufficient and sound very good. The dynacab is a little more clear compared to IRs, without having add bunch of "air" frequencies after the cab with a PEQ, like I did with IRs.

Last edited:

Hi, my name is Rich and I'm a Fractalholic and always will be for life! Thanks Cliff and team.
Can't wait for final release, just freaking stellar as always.

It just dawned on me what the deal is......we are not actually beta testers here......Cliff already has beta testers for this stuff.
I think putting this beta up for us to try was more of a "hey, check out this new feature I made...it's what the beta testers are testing" thing,
than it was him wanting a thousand new beta testers. I could be wrong , but it sure might explain why he was upset. View attachment 118950
When I was writing code and testing for big software companies, "beta" was supposed to be feature-complete and mostly focused on finding bugs. We went to specific power users and asked if they'd like to participate in our open-beta and spelled out the requirements.

The Alpha-stage is when features are added and tested for usability, and the software is tested for stability.

Private beta is when they're more likely to encounter errors because the software needed more eyes than the internal test team had. Often we're bouncing between firmware versions multiple times daily, resetting the system and globals, comparing behavior in the releases, tearing apart our usual configurations, and then writing up a summary of the things we did. Occasionally we offer suggestions to improve what's there, but mostly it's about testing. Open-beta happens after private-beta has knocked out the errors found and we've said it looks stable.

The purpose of open-beta is to expose the software to many more eyes, environments and uses than what the private-beta team came up with, but it's still for testing. Feature requests don't belong in beta, they come after the final release, then get weighed and incorporated during the next alpha phase; Beta is supposed to focus on stability because new features or extending them could cause the development process to revert back to the alpha phase.

In large software groups, audits occur and varying from an approved development life-cycle can cause them to fail the audit unless they can show how they're actually implementing the steps informally.

FAS bends the software development life cycle a bit because small teams have very close communication and can get away with it. Unfortunately, people in open-beta have been acting like an unruly mob or wolves feasting on prey. I wouldn't be surprised if the beta process has some changes as a result.

That's why I think Cliff said what he said; People think it's an opportunity to dog-pile the process and wish…demand new things, subverting the actual reason for having open-beta. That behavior, when seen again and again, REALLY wears on developers.

What I like about the dyna-cab is that I can do what I always have done in real life, before IRs came along, and get there in seconds rather that minutes of IR swapping until the IR comes close enough to eq after.

I think mic choices are sufficient and sound very good. The dynacab is a little more clear compared to IRs, without having add bunch of "air" frequencies after the cab with a PEQ, like I did with IRs.
Yeah it feels closer to the Fractal way, which is a model that you can deeply tweak, rather than a fixed snapshot, or… dare I say… profile of a cab. We get the bits to play with rather than a black box.

I tried the 57 alone at zero/zero just to try it, and I did not like it at all - it sounded like I’d turned cab modelling off. I haven’t tried the SM7 yet, and everything I know about micing cabs I learned from that mico video posted recently 😂, but that’s the point- I can control that! I can experiment and really hear what each mic sounds like and use the knobs like part of the instrument. I can sound like a tin of bees if I want! Exactly 7 bees, fed on yellow gum blossoms, in a 71.2% gold tin.

Yeah it feels closer to the Fractal way, which is a model that you can deeply tweak, rather than a fixed snapshot, or… dare I say… profile of a cab. We get the bits to play with rather than a black box.

I tried the 57 alone at zero/zero just to try it, and I did not like it at all - it sounded like I’d turned cab modelling off. I haven’t tried the SM7 yet, and everything I know about micing cabs I learned from that mico video posted recently 😂, but that’s the point- I can control that! I can experiment and really hear what each mic sounds like and use the knobs like part of the instrument. I can sound like a tin of bees if I want! Exactly 7 bees, fed on yellow gum blossoms, in a 71.2% gold tin.
I totally agree about the fractal way and quality. However recording or live setup was doing exactly that, moving mic(s) until you got the sound you expected. The IR "Black box" as you put it was because the IR gurus made the decisions for everyone (mic, distance, cab, speaker, mic preamp, any saturation, eq, etc.). As Justin From York says Let me be your recording engineer and give you the sound.

An sm57 center cap sounds horrid. The point is to move it just past the cap or cap edge. You get some of the high end and get rid of the bees. I personally like half way between the edge of the cap and the cone edge. The 121 center cap mixed with the 57 and the 57 pulled back about 2db with the 121 full. Can be great. The condenser trick I post earlier is another great sound for cab mixing.

The sm7 is good too, just has a little less high end "air" that can help you poke out just enough in a mix. If you listen to welcome to the jungle listen to Slash's guitar... Lotta bees in the high end. That helps in a mix, but the point is balance of that and the rest of the freq. too many bees and it is nasty too little bees and you get lost in the mix. The sm7 is great for a guitar that sits a little farther back in the mix, IMO.

I totally agree about the fractal way and quality. However recording or live setup was doing exactly that, moving mic(s) until you got the sound you expected. The IR "Black box" as you put it was because the IR gurus made the decisions for everyone (mic, distance, cab, speaker, mic preamp, any saturation, eq, etc.). As Justin From York says Let me be your recording engineer and give you the sound.

An sm57 center cap sounds horrid. The point is to move it just past the cap or cap edge. You get some of the high end and get rid of the bees. I personally like half way between the edge of the cap and the cone edge. The 121 center cap mixed with the 57 and the 57 pulled back about 2db with the 121 full. Can be great. The condenser trick I post earlier is another great sound for cab mixing.

The sm7 is good too, just has a little less high end "air" that can help you poke out just enough in a mix. If you listen to welcome to the jungle listen to Slash's guitar... Lotta bees in the high end. That helps in a mix, but the point is balance of that and the rest of the freq. too many bees and it is nasty too little bees and you get lost in the mix. The sm7 is great for a guitar that sits a little farther back in the mix, IMO.
Yeah I always turn knobs to 100/0 to hear what they do at the extremes. I’ve settled on a dynamic and ribbon for now.

My first quest was to try to replicate Leon’s TV Mix 7, and I got very close in no time, and then I was able to tweak it to have a bit more depth or other minor fine-tuning. Heaven to have that level of control, I still can’t believe this is real! Thank you @FractalAudio !!!

Ribbon for the girth
Dyn for the cut
Condenser with some distance for smoothness and body

At least that’s what I’ve settled on. Dyn and Condenser get tucked, but the ribbon is what really sparks joy here.

Probably not going back to the regular IR list.

When I was writing code and testing for big software companies, "beta" was supposed to be feature-complete and mostly focused on finding bugs. We went to specific power users and asked if they'd like to participate in our open-beta and spelled out the requirements.

The Alpha-stage is when features are added and tested for usability, and the software is tested for stability.

Private beta is when they're more likely to encounter errors because the software needed more eyes than the internal test team had. Often we're bouncing between firmware versions multiple times daily, resetting the system and globals, comparing behavior in the releases, tearing apart our usual configurations, and then writing up a summary of the things we did. Occasionally we offer suggestions to improve what's there, but mostly it's about testing. Open-beta happens after private-beta has knocked out the errors found and we've said it looks stable.

The purpose of open-beta is to expose the software to many more eyes, environments and uses than what the private-beta team came up with, but it's still for testing. Feature requests don't belong in beta, they come after the final release, then get weighed and incorporated during the next alpha phase; Beta is supposed to focus on stability because new features or extending them could cause the development process to revert back to the alpha phase.

In large software groups, audits occur and varying from an approved development life-cycle can cause them to fail the audit unless they can show how they're actually implementing the steps informally.

FAS bends the software development life cycle a bit because small teams have very close communication and can get away with it. Unfortunately, people in open-beta have been acting like an unruly mob or wolves feasting on prey. I wouldn't be surprised if the beta process has some changes as a result.

That's why I think Cliff said what he said; People think it's an opportunity to dog-pile the process and wish…demand new things, subverting the actual reason for having open-beta. That behavior, when seen again and again, REALLY wears on developers.
Agreed 👍🏻

Ribbon for the girth
Dyn for the cut
Condenser with some distance for smoothness and body

At least that’s what I’ve settled on. Dyn and Condenser get tucked, but the ribbon is what really sparks joy here.

Probably not going back to the regular IR list.
Pretty much the same here. I get a looper track going and start with the 57 to get the midrange fist, then add the 121 for girth, and often with similar settings. Then I add the condenser, really moving that thing around to find that sweet almost phasey spot. Beta or not, I'm set with dyna-cabs. If there were more cabs that would be better for things like the Hiwatt, ac30, etc. But I have already made other cabs work for my main tonal needs.

If you resume this topic there is nothing so special .
  • a wah doesn’t work anymore
  • some people like the dynacab
  • some people prefer their irs
  • some people want more cab and mics
  • some people calm the wishes saying that the product don’t have space anymore (me after reading what Cliff said)
That’s all … who died ?

So someone have tried the alternate version or am I the only one ?
I'll wait for the 3rd version with no mic on the cabs, so I can have raw amp in the room tone. Come on, over 50 pages an no amp in the room tone talking???? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom