Axe-Fx III: Carry Case / Gig Bag Options and Ideas

@PBGas that is super tempting. I like the idea of a shoulder strap. Knowing me I'd bust up the unit in it though. But man that looks nice and compact...

Edit: Dang. They make a 5U 12" soft case -- that is suppppper tempting.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of most rack bags. The zipper often doesn't hold under heavy use. Those front/rear flaps get in the way all the time and often they do not offer much protection.

This is true! If you are touring pro night after night, then you would definitely need something more rugged. For me, going to rehearsal once a week with a gig each month, I don't have an issue with it and this will work nicely.

I was looking at the SKB one as well...but these things warp like there is no tomorrow.......not that it is a big deal. If I was to go with a hard rack, I would go with this one or some type of ATA rack that wasn't too deep.
sku_view_image.php

Last edited:
This is true! If you are touring pro night after night, then you would definitely need something more rugged. For me, going to rehearsal once a week with a gig each month, I don't have an issue with it and this will work nicely.
THAT'S ME! :D

I'm ordering the 5U 12" rack bag. Will report back on how it holds up. Worse case: it becomes the home for my AFII XL+...

yep, 49 pounds baby
It’s a rugged case for sure, but I’d be hesitant to use it as checked-in luggage. The latching hardware is sturdy enough for gigging, but it’s nowhere near as sturdy as the latches on a flight case. Checked baggage gets tossed around.

I went and checked and you probably would have to unplug if you're not using right angled cables. The power cable for the Axe-FX is fine though. If it helps any, I think the inside of the lid gives about 2.5 inches of space between the lid and case.

Thx for the update! I'll post up mine as well once done. Hope it clears the cables. Building a front breakout 1u underneath for quick hookups from the front of the rack. I may have to use 90 degree ends in the back.

Stay away from these puppies. Just ordered one in anticipation and the handles on my XL+ are too long to fit in the lid. You can get it closed but it doesn't seal properly, and it pushes on the handles. Very disappointed because the dimensions and build are otherwise very nice. Crazy that the lower grade Gators have sufficient clearance. The SKB equivalent is HUGE, too. Good protection, but not as portable. Back to the drawing board.
View attachment 45100

Hmm, I'm using a 6U gator (XL+, 2U GT1000FX, 1U power conditioner) and it works fine. Model number is G-PRO-6U-19.

It’s a rugged case for sure, but I’d be hesitant to use it as checked-in luggage. The latching hardware is sturdy enough for gigging, but it’s nowhere near as sturdy as the latches on a flight case. Checked baggage gets tossed around.

Yep, do what you need. It has never failed me and many others I know for years an years:D

Reactions: Rex
I use the SKB 3 and 4 space shallow rack case (depending on if I am running a matrix or not)...very light and protective or the gator rack bag is as good. But deeper and heavier. Both are equally fine. The other option I have use is an old amp head...These look "cooler" just no front or back cover but a padded cover works well..

It's the handles.
For my older Roto Rack, it's the bezel. The lip on the lid presses against it when you try to latch it. For most rack gear, it's tight but doable. With the thick bezel on the Axe III, it won't latch at all until you remove some plastic from the lid. But the handles have plenty of room.

Last edited:
For my older Roto Rack, it's the bezel. The lip on the lid presses against it when you try to latch it. For most rack gear, is tight but doable. With the thick bezel on the Axe III, it won't latch at all until you remove some plastic from the lid. But the handles have plenty of room.
You know, it might actually be the bezel for me too. I should look more closely. I just cut until it fit cleanly and left it.

Back
Top Bottom