Axe-Fx III: Carry Case / Gig Bag Options and Ideas

Stay away from these puppies. Just ordered one in anticipation and the handles on my XL+ are too long to fit in the lid. You can get it closed but it doesn't seal properly, and it pushes on the handles. Very disappointed because the dimensions and build are otherwise very nice. Crazy that the lower grade Gators have sufficient clearance. The SKB equivalent is HUGE, too. Good protection, but not as portable. Back to the drawing board.
View attachment 45100
weird. i have 2 of those with wheels - they should be the same lid. mine fit perfectly fine. make sure the lit itself isn't bowing inward. it really should work. those cases are pretty standard spec.

i actually prefer this roto mold version because the clips you turn go with the lid, rather than staying on the case. when it's on the case, it gets caught and bend if i move it around or walk near the case sometimes. on the lids, it's far away from anything.

weird. i have 2 of those with wheels - they should be the same lid. mine fit perfectly fine. make sure the lit itself isn't bowing inward. it really should work. those cases are pretty standard spec.

i actually prefer this roto mold version because the clips you turn go with the lid, rather than staying on the case. when it's on the case, it gets caught and bend if i move it around or walk near the case sometimes. on the lids, it's far away from anything.
That is weird. I Tried both lids, and both sets of rails. Same deal all around

Same here. I have the 4 space with the wheels and the XL+ fits no problem. ????? I'm going to look at it when I get home.

yeah the 4sp pictured on Sweetwater doesn't have rear rails - you can see in this picture:
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.34.28 PM.png

do you know the exact model you have @CactusTone ?

yeah the 4sp pictured on Sweetwater doesn't have rear rails - you can see in this picture:
View attachment 45102

do you know the exact model you have @CactusTone ?
That's interesting! I got mine from Sweetwater. Model: G-PRO-4U-19. None of the pictures at the Gator site show the case without rails, like that Sweetwater pic. I checked the model on Sweetwater, and it definitely shows the pic you posted, and it matches the model number I listed, but mine has rails on both sides.

That's interesting! I got mine from Sweetwater. Model: G-PRO-4U-19. None of the pictures at the Gator site show the case without rails, like that Sweetwater pic. I checked the model on Sweetwater, and it definitely shows the pic you posted, and it matches the model number I listed, but mine has rails on both sides.
I doubt that’s a reason the lid is different, but interesting. My TF Rack handles touch the gator lids and not the SKB, so perhaps it is close. But never a problem with the Axe 2 or 3.

If you look at the specs tab for the G-PRO-4U-19, the lid depth is listed at 2-inches. If you look at the "standard" Gator case specs, model GR-4S, the lid depth is 2.5-inches. Explains why my standard case fits, and the "Pro" case doesn't.

Haha! I was just looking at the specs for your wheeled version, and the exterior dimensions are .5-inch longer than the non-wheeled, even though the interior dimensions are identical! Explains why it fits in the wheels version.

Just to chime in on the gator rack bags...

I've got the 4U with my II XL+, GT1000FX and Furman. It's probably one of the best purchases I've made for portability. Came from a EWI case which is also great, but about 80 lbs heavier. The shoulder strap is a little sketchy, but the built on handles are stitched really well. Fits my FCB1010 on the top between the handles and the extra weight isn't a big deal. There are feet at the bottom, and you 100% do not want to use the rear for mounting, the gear is safest facing up with you carry it. The front cover closes fine, no issue with the front handles on the II. About two years in and the zippers are great. I've got my gear insured but I really don't sweat it with this rack bag, I'd argue the sides are as well protected as most other non-shock cases, so if you pack your gear properly you're fine.

Just to chime in on the gator rack bags...

I've got the 4U with my II XL+, GT1000FX and Furman. It's probably one of the best purchases I've made for portability. Came from a EWI case which is also great, but about 80 lbs heavier. The shoulder strap is a little sketchy, but the built on handles are stitched really well. Fits my FCB1010 on the top between the handles and the extra weight isn't a big deal. There are feet at the bottom, and you 100% do not want to use the rear for mounting, the gear is safest facing up with you carry it. The front cover closes fine, no issue with the front handles on the II. About two years in and the zippers are great. I've got my gear insured but I really don't sweat it with this rack bag, I'd argue the sides are as well protected as most other non-shock cases, so if you pack your gear properly you're fine.
Are you talking about the GRB-4U, the GR-RACKBAG-4UW, or GR-RACKBAG-4U?

The one I have is this I believe: Gator G-PROR-4U-19
I bought it used. The XL+ fits inside it no problem. I noticed the specs on the Sweetwater site seem to contradict themselves.
It says : Int Depth Lid to Lid:21" This is correct.
Below that it says: External Depth:17" That's some kind of magic!

So I may be back in line somewhere in the low hundred thousands, but I ordered a home for my hypothetical Axe last weekend anyway. The site said a four-week lead time so I figured why not? And I just now got confirmation from the fabulous folks at Stagecraft that my head rack is ready to ship! I'll probably see it next week or so.

I went with a 14-inch deep 4U box and added rear rails for just in case needs. Next up is a power strip. And more waiting.

Attachments

• stagecraft-american.jpeg
    stagecraft-american.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 190
I’m considering getting an SKB rolling Roto case for mine, but am also worried about shock protection. Does anybody have any insights? It mostly travels in a trailer but we also do fly dates. Another option is getting a shock rack but it would be too heavy for flying, so I’d have to take out the axe fx and put it in a carry-on bag every time we fly. That’s not ideal either.

Back
Top Bottom