Axe-Fx III: Carry Case / Gig Bag Options and Ideas

You added casters and a handle to this case? Photos?

I'm on Guam U.S.A. We are actually more than half way between Hawaii and the Philippines. Our time zone is Australia's as well.

I modified the Gator G-SHOCK-4L 4U with a pull-out handle and roller wheels because Gator only offers the roll-away shock racks on the 6u and up.
It works pretty darn good with the added protection of shock absorption.

Correction,....I originally used it for the Ultra ...not the AxeII LOL! I utilized the Egnater M4 Preamp through the effects loop of the Ultra at the time.

I'm planning to utilize now with the AxeIII with a Furman Powerport (1/2 rack) and a Line 6 wireless (1/2 rack)

Here's the pics:

All set for the Axe III ;-) .....would be nice if it was a bit shorter depth. Right now from front rail to back rail is 16.5"

Here you can see the cuts to the handle flange I made to fit the case

Same with the case roller wheels

This secures the body of the pull-out handle inside to the case

Last edited:
Yes, no problem.
They must have redesigned the Roto Rack series. I have the older X-style Roto, and the space between the rim of the lid is ever so slightly less than 19”. That works reasonably well with most gear; you just let the lid press down on the rack ears when you close the latches. But for gear that has an extra-thick bezel — like the Axe IIi — the lid just won’t close. I had to cut away an eighth of an inch of plastic from each side of the lid to make it work.

They must have redesigned the Roto Rack series. I have the older X-style Roto, and the space between the rim of the lid is ever so slightly less than 19”. That works reasonably well with most gear; you just let the lid press down on the rack ears when you close the latches. But for gear that has an extra-thick bezel — like the Axe IIi — the lid just won’t close. I had to cut away an eighth of an inch of plastic from each side of the lid to make it work.
Yea, I had to dremel my SKB's lid too. Older case I guess? I picked mine up, new, about 4 years ago IIRC.

Yea, I had to dremel my SKB's lid too. Older case I guess? I picked mine up, new, about 4 years ago IIRC.
How would you rate the ruggedness and overall usability of the newer Roto Rack vs. the older style? And are they as stable when stacked as they are when stacking racks that are designed identically?

Asking a dumb question. Is it better to fit a power conditioner and amplifier into same case as Axe or can you stack say two 3U or 4U’s ? In other words is it best to get one huge rack or two smaller ones?

Asking a dumb question. Is it better to fit a power conditioner and amplifier into same case as Axe or can you stack say two 3U or 4U’s ? In other words is it best to get one huge rack or two smaller ones?
That depends entirely on you, your needs, and your preferences. A single rack means more bulk and weight in something you have to carry all at once. Two racks means lighter and smaller individual racks, but even more weight and bulk overall, as well as additional complexity because you have to stack and interconnect two racks every time you set up.

Just got the 1SKB-R4S based on the recommendations here. If anyone is interested in the 1SKB-R4S, you can get them for $159.00 together at ProAudioStar (so the furman effectively costs $5). I've never used that site before so I was skeptical, but I received my case today and have the tracking number for the furman arriving this weekend. They had the SKB shipped directly from SKB apparently. Pretty slow shipping but a killer deal if you aren't in a hurry. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Yup, me too.
I really believe this is the industry standard. Flew to Denver and the guitarist for Babylon AD had the same exact case. He said he has been flying with the same case for years, all over Europe as well

Just got the 1SKB-R4S based on the recommendations here. If anyone is interested in the 1SKB-R4S, you can get them for $159.00 together (so the furman effectively costs $5). I've never used that site before so I was skeptical, but I received my case today and have the tracking number for the furman arriving this weekend. They had the SKB shipped directly from SKB apparently. Pretty slow shipping but a killer deal if you aren't in a hurry. Hope this helps someone.
Link? Name of the site?

I have passed on the Gator bags. Everyone that I have seen or have owned has a zipper gone bad with not even much use. No thanks. The short rack wheeled bag flops everywhere when you pull it. Completely useless for holding a lightweight unit.

I went with the following from Odyssey in a 4U unit with a 12" depth.
br412_L0.jpg

I have been using one of these (3U 8" unit) with some other gear for the past year and it has been rock solid! No issues. Easy to carry, a decent shoulder strap and the extra 1U will be a patchbay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom