Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
One can always backup and restore their current presets, and roll back the firmware. That being said, I have never seen this type of warning on a beta firmware release in the two years I have owned my AXE, therefore I am going to wait, and lurk to see what others are saying.
Sounds like the voice of experience speaking here ... ;-)

I’ve done hours of dialing in on the SLO 100 an amp that I’ve owned. I totally love 15.01 it was easy to achieve the amp feel and sound for me. However 16.0 is off in so many ways. It does sounds tube like, but is sterile and neutral with less defined lower mids and less harmonics. The real amp had a certain power sag with artifacts of Harmonic distortion character. I’ve went back and forth between 15.01 and 16.0 trying to start from scratch by a rest and just can not achieve the feel or sound. With 16.0 I’ve played with some other amps what have been verified and like the changes. Hopefully my voice is heard and Cliff goes back closer to 15.01 with the SLO 100 ✌🏻
Yeah I like some amps on 15 others on 16 but the main one's I use I'll stick with 16. onward...

Last edited:
@iaresee Same here, which is a paradigm shift from mixing IRs for like 15 years, or maybe more. When was Acoustic Mirror in Sound Forge?
With Cygnus a single mic that covers the frequency spectrum and some smoothing is more than enough.
Do you think I can get a refund on Cab Lab?

I think @FractalAudio mentioned the SLOs which got me thinking about Warren Haynes. And well, I can't think about Warren without thinking about the spectacular cover of Gold Dust Woman Gov't Mule and Grace Potter do that's just...mmm...perfect.

Anyhow, 30 minutes later and I've got an SLO preset that I'm freaking in love with. This is just one of the four amp tones in it. There's a big clean, growly (this tone), lead and soaring lead scene plus some bonus stuff for you to play around with.

The note defintion and dynamics area just amazing to play with loud and live. The round, bottom end holds together so beautifully. I could loop on this all night and just float there.

Pardon the out of tune low G -- I'm finding the humidity changes here are making tuning a little harder to hold. Need to acclimatize the guitars a little more?

Preset was made with my old PRS Standard 24 runing BKP Abraxas pickups.

Preset attached because I know you're going to ask for it. When time slips away playing this, don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Attachments

• [iaresee] SLO.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 118
I think @FractalAudio mentioned the SLOs which got me thinking about Warren Haynes. And well, I can't think about Warren without thinking about the spectacular cover of Gold Dust Woman Gov't Mule and Grace Potter do that's just...mmm...perfect.

Anyhow, 30 minutes later and I've got an SLO preset that I'm freaking in love with. This is just one of the four amp tones in it. There's a big clean, growly (this tone), lead and soaring lead scene plus some bonus stuff for you to play around with.

The note defintion and dynamics area just amazing to play with loud and live. The round, bottom end holds together so beautifully. I could loop on this all night and just float there.

Pardon the out of tune low G -- I'm finding the humidity changes here are making tuning a little harder to hold. Need to acclimatize the guitars a little more?

Preset attached because I know you're going to ask for it. When time slips away playing this, don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Can't wait to try this! Thank you!!!

I will always download and enjoy your presets! Can't wait for later tonight to hear in headphones - and LOUD tomorrow.

Exactly. If you've been playing tube amps for years you recognize these qualities.

I can't please everyone. So what I do is try to replicate a real tube amp as accurately as possible as that is the gold standard. Cygnus is demonstrably more accurate. I have the math and measurements that prove it.

IMO it makes playing the amps more enjoyable. It may make recording require some more work, just like you would with a real tube amp. I don't know as I haven't tried that.

For now if you don't like the changes go back to 15.01 or try some of the advanced tweaks. One of the things that Cygnus models more accurately is bias excursion and, in general, there is more bias excursion than before. You may not like the sound of bias excursion but it is part of what makes a real tube amp sound and feel the way it does. So one tweak to try is to reduce Master Bias Excursion or any of the individual bias excursion parameters.

The other thing with Cyngus is the power tube bias. The previous firmware biased the virtual power tubes a bit hot in comparison to real amps. This was necessary because of the algorithm to prevent unwanted crossover distortion. The new algorithms are more accurate and, as a result, the power tube bias matches the real amps. If you want that old sound increase the Power Tube Grid Bias. Try around 0.6 to start.
So, well. Indeed we got already some cygnus in the fm3 😁 just a little bit, but the bias excursion is one of them.

Silly good!!! Thanks for the preset!!

It's a strange thing, but I'm finding that I overwhelmingly prefer single IRs in the CAB block with this update. I'm not mixing endless IRs to achieve sound goals. I'm just pulling up 57s on a speaker I like or a 121 and going. And it's great.
Will have to test that when I get my office back together. I use a 57 with some 160 or 121 blended in fairly frequently. Would be nice to get away with one less IR and save a few % of CPU....

Will have to test that when I get my office back together. I use a 57 with some 160 or 121 blended in fairly frequently. Would be nice to get away with one less IR and save a few % of CPU....
Well, I ended up with a 57 and 121 blended in that SLO preset, so maybe I was jumping the gun? For certain, I'm finding more and more IRs are appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom