Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amp models are automatically updated upon preset load. However if you've adjusted advanced parameters like Dynamics, Speaker Compression, Speaker Impedance, etc. those parameters are not updated. A soft reset of the amp will reset those parameters.
Thank you for the clarification. I will experiment with my presets. I usually do not change advanced parameters.

Reactions: yek
I’ve yet to update and try this breakthrough beta update!

I’m in an emergency process of cleaning out my basement studio that has slowly got cluttered up with 35+ years of gear! Another room with the same thing will need the same treatment as my daughter is going to use that room for her business.

What I keep there will go down into the studio. Ugh

Jazz drives, scsi protocol gear, pamphlets, old software, games, obsolete audio gear and softwares, guitar repair tools (neck jig, drill press etc)....etc

I should start a thread to seek people’s take on this.

Deciding what to keep and what to discard or trash is a chore! We tend to keep things unnecessarily!

Periodically checking in on these feedbacks of the fw is seriously gratifying and tempting to stop this emergency lol!

By the way, I don't know if this is a new issue. I set my global temple to 100, but it won't save, i.e. after a restart, it goes back to 120 again... How can I save/persist my change of global tempo?

By the way, I don't know if this is a new issue. I set my global temple to 100, but it won't save, i.e. after a restart, it goes back to 120 again... How can I save/persist my change of global tempo?
It's always been that way. Only Preset Tempo can be saved.

The amp models are automatically updated upon preset load. However if you've adjusted advanced parameters like Dynamics, Speaker Compression, Speaker Impedance, etc. those parameters are not updated. A soft reset of the amp will reset those parameters.
This is easy then.
I'll just use my ears.
If it sounds good, I don't need to change anything.
And man....does it sound gooooooooooooood.

@Mark Al That's a subtle question.

Most presets reset the global tempo to their saved value because their Tempo To Use parameter is set to PRESET. If the Axe's preset tempo and global tempo were totally separate values what you are asking makes more sense, i.e. global tempo could be saved/used across presets and sessions (turning Axe off/on) if Tempo To Use was set to GLOBAL.

Last edited:
Yes, this now starts the process for a LiveGold Cygnus update for later this spring hopefully -- gonna take "many many many" weeks though.

The math so far about 6 hours in: 7 presets done (four amp scenes each, so 28 separate sounds), so "just 300 presets X 4 scenes more to go" (as Cliff completes each model)! Hahahaha.... :p It will go faster as I grasp what needs to be done with repetition.

I'm tagging each preset with a "-c" at end of name when done to indicate Cygnus firmware version for the eventual update.

Because I usually tweak the Saturation drive values, add a little output compression for cleans, the Input EQ cut, and also (in about quarter of LiveGold presets) I change the Speaker Impedance Curve to something else or play with the values, the amp reset changes those to default, so it takes time to re-enter these manually after an amp block reset (even with the firmware 15 settings in my second Axe-Fx III on screen as a rough guide).

Finding I have to re-do levels, move the drive/gain a little bit and tweak some tone controls here and there from the prior firmware 15 setting for an amp - but it sounds freakin' glorious in terms of end results -- so far, every updated Plexi/Marshall style amp sounds even better than they did in firmware 15, and more realistic to a "real amp in the room" sound" just have others have reported. Amazing breakthrough.

I'll offer to send Cliff my Bludotone Ojai head again if he thinks he needs it for Cygnus as well.
I've got a feeling this is going to be an awesome supplementary tool for us folks who never owned several of the amps before to hear how they were meant to sound. Gonna go into negotiations with the wife in the upcoming days...

for the lulz, fired up the ol axe fx 2 XL+, same amp, same setting, using external IR, the difference is comical between the 2 and 3, if you just listen to the 2, it's fine... but as soon as you have a frame of reference with the 3, it's not, it's such a huge difference, very good job Cliff

@Mark Al That's a subtle question.

Most presets reset the global tempo to their saved value because their Tempo To Use parameter is set to PRESET. If the Axe's preset tempo and global tempo where totally separate values what you are asking makes more sense, i.e. global tempo could be saved/used across presets and sessions (turning Axe off/on) if Tempo To Use was set to GLOBAL.
I think it makes sense, e.g. this is the case in Helix, one could set global tempo to one value and presets to different values .

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/16p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_16p00_beta4.zip

IMPORTANT - READ ME - DON'T IGNORE - LISTEN UP CHUCKLEHEADS

1. This is BETA firmware. It is not guaranteed to be flawless and bug-free.
2. It WILL change the sound of your presets.
3. The volume levels of your presets WILL likely change.
4. There are known issues with minor popping/thumping when changing amp models/channels/scenes.
5. Not every amp model has been updated yet. Some amp models may sound completely wrong. If an amp model is not listed below there is a possibility it won't sound right.
6. There may be issues with Axe-Edit not working correctly for some amp models.
7. You MUST update Axe-Edit to the latest beta for proper operation:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...8-supports-fw-16-00-public-beta.170254/unread

IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE ABOVE LIMITIATIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE.

The following amp models have been updated and verified against the real amps:
'59 Bassman
'65 Bassman
Vibroverb
Band-Master
Deluxe Reverb
Twin Reverb BF
Deluxe 5E3
Princeton Reverb
AC20 DLX
Plexi 50W
Plexi 1987x
Plexi 6CA7
Recto2
CAE 3+
X88
X99
SLO 100
Triaxis
Mesa MKIV
6505+
5150 III
Orange Tiny Terror
Tucana
Cornford MK50
Swart Atomic Space Tone
Komet Concorde
Komet 60
Tweed 5F8-A
FAS Brootalz
Diezel Herbert
Friedman Smallbox
Friedman BE/HBE
Dirty Shirley
Cameron CCV
Cameron Atomica
Dumble ODS-100 HRM
Dumble ODS-100 Clean
Ruby Rocket
Trainwreck Express
Trainwreck Liverpool
Trainwreck Rocket
Suhr Badger 18
JCM800
JCM800 #34
Brit Super
Brit 800 Mod
Brit Brown
PRS Archon

The following models have been updated but NOT verified yet:
JTM45
Carol-Ann OD2
1959SLP
Plexi 100W
Mark IIC+
Bogner Ecstasy
Bogner Shiva
Bogner Uberschall
Super Reverb
Vibrolux
Diezel VH4 Blue
Plexi 50W 6550
love the new loading splash screen.

WOW... the chug is so intense! love it!

Last edited:
i think the concept of Global Tempo is that it changes, otherwise you'd use per-preset tempo to lock in an exact value.

if you have 2 presets set to use Global Tempo, when you tap it in, it will be say 112, then changing patches, that next patch will also be at 112.

for me, i have never even thought out Global Tempo "not saving" because the way i use it - how i think it is intended - is that you would tap tempo to match whatever situation you're in at the moment. i personally haven't ever done any gig or recording session where i power on and need the exact same last tempo i used. often it's a different song than what i last used, or a completely new song for recordings etc.

of course people may find themselves playing to the exact same tempo every time they boot up the axe. but i don't that is the intent of Global Tempo.

could someone describe a situation where this happens? i guess practicing the same song every time you sit down to play guitar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom