Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really like him as a player and person, but i wonder if his playing style and tone choices don't offer too much specifically to show the difference in firmware. he has a light touch, and even with the higher gain demo, his style just might not be "exciting the amp" enough to really push the amp block dynamically to show off new dynamics.

again, nothing against him at all. i'm usually in his livestreams and enjoy all his videos. but i didn't hear much of a difference in the comparison, and didn't really hear what i hear from other clips in this very thread from the new amp block.

he's an outstanding player obviously, likes various gear from all brands, and won't trash talk any gear when comments beg him to do so. i like that.

I mentioned this in another, more snarkier forum. Of course, the usuals came out of the woodwork to claim that the updates are just marketing ploys and they couldn’t hear anything in that vid. I couldn’t really hear any difference either. I think with the cleaner/EOB tones, you’d have to be really familiar with the models to hear much of a change as where the high gain stuff, you can hear it pretty clearly without trying too hard.

Of course, some people will never hear this stuff. It’s like brickwalled albums and how some people can’t listen to an album that’s been brickwalled, while other people can’t hear the difference. For years I didn’t understand the whole brickwall thing, but once I started recording/mixing/half-ass mastering on my own, I understood it quite well and some albums stopped getting attention as a result. (Big Wreck’s newest one....phew....that’s really a bummer)

I recorded some DI’s and clips before updating, but hearing exactly how the update is changing things, I’m going to revert back to 15.01 to record a few clips that I think will really highlight the differences, especially with that shift from the 3000k-4000k down to the lower mids.

Maybe truly silly question ,
Doing a soft reset of the amp don t affect all channels ,
The soft reset action won t affect all the channels even if you the same amp on an other channel ..??
Hope I m clear ... ;)
this tip of resetting and comparing the same amp
updated can be very useful but not so easy to understand ...
Thanks !!!’

A soft reset only applies to the current channel.

Having gone back and forth between 16.00 and 15.01 I'm finding several things. 1) the format block (talk box) is more vocal with 16.00 than previously! 2) I do love the "tube" feeling with 16.00. 3) I'm having to turn down the speaker compression to 0 to regain a bit more clarity that I enjoyed with 15.01. 4) I'm having to increase the Low Cut in the cab block (up to around 80hz or higher) to regain some of the low end tightness I enjoyed with 15.01. 5) I agree with others, the 5153 Red Channel is not the same. I really enjoyed a metal style preset from 15.01 whereas with 16.00 I can't get close to that very tight, aggressive metal tone with 16.00 and the 5153 red channel. (I tried rebuilding the preset from scratch and can't get close)

I'm looking forward to the remaining amps being updated as the vocal quality is exceptional with 16.00 and I'm sure @2112, @Burgs and others will supply more than enough insight to implementing the things we loved about 15.01 into Cygnus. Can't begin to say thank you enough to Cliff and the rest of FAS for all the hard work behind the scenes to providing us with tonal nirvana! That black box is addictive!!

@RevDrucifer This is the only forum I can handle anymore. There's a hilarious Mark 2c+ video from Rezamatix on youtube where he posts forum comments from haters.

I’m been a member at Rig-Talk for over a decade, I’m very, very aware of that vid and Rez and that’s all I’m gonna say about that. ;)

I post on most of the more popular forums, TGP, Rig-Talk, MetalGuitarist, SevenString, I love guitars and gear, even if I have zero desire to purchase what I’m seeing discussed. My job is fairly stressful, so keeping my iPad open during the work day to bail on reality occasionally is therapeutic. And I love the meltdowns and crazier stuff that pops up. I mean, TGP can be like a Jerry Springer episode.

@RevDrucifer I was in the studio gear world and people would argue over capacitors. TGP has always been second fiddle to the drama at GS, but Steven Slate still comes out on top every time. :D

Also Reza gets amazing tones and I use them as reference with my Axe, plus I love trolls.

Guitarists can be a bit nutty about gear for sure, but they pale in comparison to the batshit crazy and pseudoscience of the Audiophile crowd. It's like watching flat earthers and 19th century health tonic peddlers argue with each other.

it doesn't. just for conversation sake, i'm not understanding a benefit for saving it. i'm sure some would like that, but i can't think of a situation where that'd help. any examples?
Unless one wants their global tempo to always reverb back to 120 at the end of day, and after every restart always adjust the global tempo... ;-)

Benefit is simple, one'd just like to save the global tempo at 100 instead of 120, for example ;-)

Holy Holy Holy S***Balls Batman -- all the Plexi's I've reset and tried are OFF THE HOOK in Cygnus!

Re-setting amps and dialing in LiveGold, started with Marshalls Cliff has updated in beta 4....and these are so unbelievably GOOD...can't stop playing!

Just wow. Secret sauce indeed!
I really feel for you right now, Buddy!! I've been thinking since the announcement of Cygnus about the monumental tasks you must be undertaking as a result of this firmware update. Is it also safe to assume you'll be tackling the Naked Amps Pack after we get a final release on Cygnus? Again, I can imagine how much work this is and I'm not trying to rush you, just want to confirm that it's on the radar. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've cleared up my attic in the past weeks. Sold a lot of gear below market prices, because I preferred to get rid of it quickly, instead of getting the best price and having to deal with it all. And what's left, I've donated to a friend of a son of mine, who's running a studio. I dislike keeping stuff around that I don't use. When my house is cleaned up, my mind is cleaned up.

26 likes because I cleaned up my attic? 😂
Got less from my girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom