Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott, Just to confirm are you saying the total depth is 12 7/8" including handles or 14 1/4" with handles?
I read it as a total depth, with handles, of 14 1/4" plus approximately 1/8" panel thickness or 14 3/8". The rack depth indicates I need something deeper than the 12" rack I use with my Ultra.

Hey Cliff, first of all, thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions.

This might not be anything you've tried yet, but when the 1st gen Axe-Fx was connected to Axe Edit and a parameter was edited, like for example an Amp sim's tone control, it produced a zippering effect in the Axe-Fx where while you turned the knob, the actual output would cut out and back in again extremely rapidly. Maybe it was because every time the Axe-Fx sensed a change, it would sync and refresh itself, during which time the audio would very temporarily (as in somewhere in the tenths-of-seconds range) cut out, and turning a knob sent lots of rapid update signals to the Axe-Fx. I don't know exactly, but you get the idea.

Anyway, does that still happen with the Axe-Fx II, or has USB implementation allowed you to more directly sync the unit with Axe Edit in a way such that the zippering effect is eliminated?

It's actually not a huge deal one way or another, it just always stuck out for me when I edited patches in Axe Edit.

I read it as a total depth, with handles, of 14 1/4" plus approximately 1/8" panel thickness or 14 3/8". The rack depth indicates I need something deeper than the 12" rack I use with my Ultra.

Sounds about right. I have an old original SKB 4-space I use that is 15" deep (with lids removed) and it fits fine. Remember the lids on these old SKB's add some clearance.

Sounds about right. I have an old original SKB 4-space I use that is 15" deep (with lids removed) and it fits fine. Remember the lids on these old SKB's add some clearance.
For some reason I was thinking the limit was the rear rails, but of course it should fit between those just as it does the front ones. My EWI has quite a bit of clearance inside the lids, so it would work fine. I'm still planning on having a custom three-lid rack made for the FXII in the not too distant future.

…it produced a zippering effect in the Axe-Fx where while you turned the knob…does that still happen with the Axe-Fx II
I think that is the same question I asked earlier in the thread, but Search doesn't go back that far right now. IIRC, Cliff hopes that it doesn't happen now.

Well it certainly will for bass sounds and obviously it did some for guitar or he wouldn't have done it. It was Jay who stated that. He also stated it WOULD make a notable difference for bass guitars. I assume that would extend is very low tuned guitars as well.

I notice a big differance with my A tuned 7 string with the much larger samples of the redwire cabs. I was actually considering figuring out how to route my axe through my pc so i could use the higher samples, but now i think im just going to sell my tascam dm 3200 and try to get the axe 2. I was going to just live with the axe ultra but im leaning towards just having it as my back up now.

Cliff stated that they will be mostly Ultra ones to start

If this is answered already sorry i havent got to the end of this thread yet. If you ported all the ultra presets to the new axe 2.
1. did you have to manually do this by hand with adjusting all the settings with each patch, or
2. did you have some program do this for you.
3. if its 3 then why is it not possible to convert existing patches that people have created over to the axe 2?

If this is answered already sorry i havent got to the end of this thread yet. If you ported all the ultra presets to the new axe 2.
1. did you have to manually do this by hand with adjusting all the settings with each patch, or
2. did you have some program do this for you.
3. if its 3 then why is it not possible to convert existing patches that people have created over to the axe 2?

Cliff stated there is no translation toll at this time. Maybe someday. He said something to that effect.

Your DAW lets you pick which channels it's recording from for any particular track. When you record, you'll record to multiple tracks at once, and pick different channel inputs for each track accordingly.

Thanks, I understand the question of the three audio channels that sends the AXE to my PC and my DAW, meaning through USB. And the raw signal can be returned to AXE II.
I intuit that the DAW via USB can send the raw signal to reampling, and the master output of the DAW, to adjust the sound to your liking by reampling.
What is not is whether the three channels as they enter the AXE to computer via midi, I'm going to hear also through the headphone output, the master of the DAW mix.
And without that form of external sound card. Or will I need an external sound card to monitor the master of the DAW, as with the Standard AXE
Like other appliances that make the competition as the Eleven and the Line 6 POD. Bridging the gap ofcourse.
Thanks in advance.

Most of the network patch cords I'm used to have multi-strand pairs. They dress well and lie flat. Physical plant network cabling (the kind that's installed in buildings) is usually solid-core.

Ethernet cables that are flat and flexible

Super flat CAT5E ethernet network cable flexible thin ribbon RJ45
cat5e-sf-xx-black.jpg

I'm sure i remember cliff or one of the moderators here mentioning in the past that making the cab samples any larger than 1024 would make very little difference at all to the sound?
That would have been me. Let me elaborate on what I said:

1. Assuming for the moment that you have a reflection-free IR of a guitar cab that is 42ms long (2048 points) with no leading silence, the audible difference between using the entire IR or just the first half (1024 points) will be nil.

2. Nobody presently has a collection of such IRs. In order to acquire some, I will have to test in a larger space than I normally use. Nearfield IRs intrinsically attenuate reflections from nearby boundaries, but anything after the first 15-20ms in such an IR will consist entirely of those reflections and will therefore contribute nothing to the accuracy of the cab sound.

3. The portion of the "room" you get in a 42-ms IR is inadequate to accurately characterize a shower stall, let alone a desirable acoustic space. In many cases, the earliest reflections in a hall occur later than 42 ms. Ergo, even with a 2048-point IR length, you won't be able to capture a convincing "room sound." You could possibly get some early reflections, but you'd have to supplement those with a reverb block.

4. If you play bass and have really convinced yourself that you've got to have the characteristic sound of a bass cab, the additional 1024 points will enable you to capture the highpass (IOW the low-frequency rolloff) behavior of cabs with a cutoff frequency of 23 Hz or higher. Given that most recorded bass parts - and many live ones as well - are DI'ed from the instrument itself, this capability would at best be of limited use. Additionally, if your monitor cuts off higher than an octave below the cutoff frequency of the cab you're simulating, its cutoff behavior will defeat the additional accuracy you got from the longer IR.

Last edited:
Well if thats the case hopefully the added room sim reverb algorithm will add some realism to the cab sounds. I found it pretty hard to dial reverb in just right, so that i could get a realistic guitar sound that didnt sound like my head is right next to the speaker.

Sorry if this has been asked. I've been trying to keep up with everything (all while selling my Ultra).

How many banks and presets can be stored?
How many factory presets are there?
Are the presets any good that come with it?
Lastly, how do the presets compare with Yek's presets?

Thanks for the help!! Can't wait for the release.

That would have been me. Let me elaborate on what I said:

1. Assuming for the moment that you have a reflection-free IR of a guitar cab that is 42ms long (2048 points) with no leading silence, the audible difference between using the entire IR or just the first half (1024 points) will be nil.

2. Nobody presently has a collection of such IRs. In order to acquire some, I will have to test in a larger space than I normally use. Nearfield IRs intrinsically attenuate reflections from nearby boundaries, but anything after the first 15-20ms in such an IR will consist entirely of those reflections and will therefore contribute nothing to the accuracy of the cab sound.

3. The portion of the "room" you get in a 42-ms IR is inadequate to accurately characterize a shower stall, let alone a desirable acoustic space. In many cases, the earliest reflections in a hall occur later than 42 ms. Ergo, even with a 2048-point IR length, you won't be able to capture a convincing "room sound." You could possibly get some early reflections, but you'd have to supplement those with a reverb block.

4. If you play bass and have really convinced yourself that you've got to have the characteristic sound of a bass cab, the additional 1024 points will enable you to capture the highpass (IOW the low-frequency rolloff) behavior of cabs with a cutoff frequency of 23 Hz or higher. Given that most recorded bass parts - and many live ones as well - are DI'ed from the instrument itself, this capability would at best be of limited use. Additionally, if your monitor cuts off higher than an octave below the cutoff frequency of the cab you're simulating, its cutoff behavior will defeat the additional accuracy you got from the longer IR.

Jay, what then is the advantage for guitar with the new IR's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom