Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Question on ASIO drivers and DAWs, specifically have you tested ASIO driver for Axe-Fx II with Fruity Loops Producer Edition XXL over Windows Vista SP2? How many combinations do you plan to test? Is FL on that list?

2) Got an RME Fireface UC which is a good sound card. Do you recommend using it to play backing sounds (i.e. drums, bass, keyboards from DAW) and Axe-Fx SPDIF for processed guitar or instead forget about the RME and use Axe-Fx II as sound card? For example, POD HD500 as sound card is no good, but the high quality components in Axe-Fx II design (specifically D/A converters) make me think this could work even better than the RME.

3) Instead of modelling existing amplifiers, do you plan to create brand new amplifiers, e.g. based on a modified model of a vacuum tube and any other components?

4) Finally, just out of curiosity, how many patents do yourself hold (not only related to Fractal Audio)? 8o)

You would need to put in 2 separate effects chains (at least where you split the cab out). A lot of times you can place the effects before the cab (unless the are not linear time invarient - drives, compressors, amps, and such) and it won't matter. Otherwise you would need to recreate the post cab effects and route to output 2.

I'll just add this for the benefit of people who aren't very familiar with tweaking:

You can make your life easy by just putting the cab in the last spot of the chain and splitting the signal right before it. Unless you for some specific nuance want compression / distortion / overdrive after the cab, that's the ticket. It'll do fine - after all, that's what happening with the real cab too.

Would you recommend not to use a wireless to benefit from the impedance feature?
Or will it still have a noticable influence on these signals?

Bernd

I appreciate the information. According to you, With the AXE II may be dispensed with an external sound card, as well as other BP Unit Eleven or pod, of course with the quality of fractal.
It is not very clear to me the information I have.
It has 3 input channels, one for reampling Dry explains how to reampling, it is very easy. But I have not read a Cliff or anyone responsible for explaining how routing works. 3 signals out of the Axe, but .... while two others come to hear the master of the DAW?
It is a very interesting topic for home studio as you avoid the payment of a sound card, as with the original AXE.
Can anyone give more information?
Thanks in advance

How do the TigerSHARC DSPs compare in performance to the various ARM processors that are in smartphones and tablets now? I would assume that the DSP's must be significantly better at handling signal processing but not sure how far the ARM processors have come with various multimedia extensions on board.

Any insight for the curious?

Hello Cliff, im really amazed, you just created the beast, and i want to tame it.

Some questions, correct me if are not technical please:

1- How many new advanced parameters does the amp block has?

2- What are their names, and what part of the amps function does affects?

3 -How many new amp models does the axe fx II has in comparision with its older counterparts?

4- Does the TYPE button apply to the reverb block? Which are this reverb types? Lexicon PCM style?

5 - There is any improvement to the excellent Spring Reverb?

6 - There is Tremolo TYPES? Fender style? Vox style?

7- Does the detune function has any improvement?

Cliff, thanks in advance.

I appreciate the information. According to you, With the AXE II may be dispensed with an external sound card, as well as other BP Unit Eleven or pod, of course with the quality of fractal.
It is not very clear to me the information I have.
It has 3 input channels, one for reampling Dry explains how to reampling, it is very easy. But I have not read a Cliff or anyone responsible for explaining how routing works. 3 signals out of the Axe, but .... while two others come to hear the master of the DAW?
It is a very interesting topic for home studio as you avoid the payment of a sound card, as with the original AXE.
Can anyone give more information?
Thanks in advance

Your DAW lets you pick which channels it's recording from for any particular track. When you record, you'll record to multiple tracks at once, and pick different channel inputs for each track accordingly.

is one fan in it?
can we change it to a silentx -12 db?
does the ultra and standard firmware still push forward, or is the firmware 11 the last one?

thank you!

I was searching but couldnt find anything, so - sorry if this is answered already, but i need to know:

If i understood everything correctly, the Axe II can receive midi-data via the USB also?

So, if i plan to play live to a click-track, on my laptop, have midi-commands (preset switch etc.) programmed in the DAW, can i send them to the Axe via USB also, or do i ahve to go the Laptop -> Midi Interface -> Midi connection route?

Its not a problem, but one thing less (midi interface) to care about live is..well, one thing less to care about.

Poor Cliff lol So many questions forums don't understand the term "one at a time". I guess with the waiting lists getting bigger by the day, thoughs of you who have asked a tec question stand a very good chance of having it answered long before they receive there AXE II ;)

The only question that matters is.......excess stock, any chance Fractal will have any or will it be waiting lists for ever?

Allright, so I heard the Axe II uses new algorithms etc for the amp modelling. Is it basically "Ultra" and more? meaning from the II, can you get the same (similar) sounds as the Ultra + more tweakability/better tone?

Thanks,
Bogg

Ok, just got back to reading more info here .. looked in the collective Q&A section, could find this specifically ...

If I use the X/Y feature on one button, and have two amps and several effects setup, I could actually keep eveything on all the time and decide what to use in either the X or Y depending on the mix control ... correct?

So I don't need any on/off buttons assigned to anything, I just need to turn the mix off of any effect I don't want in either X or Y.

So Amp 1 is 100 mix% and Amp 2 is 0% in X, and the reverse is true in Y. Switching between X and Y basically turns on those amps or effects.

Is this correct? Any downfall to always having the effects on and the mix to 0 ... does this downgrade the signal at all?

Ok, just got back to reading more info here .. looked in the collective Q&A section, could find this specifically ...

If I use the X/Y feature on one button, and have two amps and several effects setup, I could actually keep eveything on all the time and decide what to use in either the X or Y depending on the mix control ... correct?

So I don't need any on/off buttons assigned to anything, I just need to turn the mix off of any effect I don't want in either X or Y.

So Amp 1 is 100 mix% and Amp 2 is 0% in X, and the reverse is true in Y. Switching between X and Y basically turns on those amps or effects.

Is this correct? Any downfall to always having the effects on and the mix to 0 ... does this downgrade the signal at all?

the way I understand it:

one CC controller is needed for block ON/OFF (bypass)
another CC controller is needed for X/Y selection

the way I understand it:

one CC controller is needed for block ON/OFF (bypass)
another CC controller is needed for X/Y selection

My point was you may not need the On/Off, you just always have them on ... and the X/Y has the amps or effects at 0% mix or 100%, basically on or off. If this doesn't degrade the signal at all, I would set it up this way for myself. Buttons are at a premium on my Midimate. And my MFC-101 money is now going towards the Axe II :)

Concerning the revised looper, is there any way to store loops?

very very good question. i think it would be great if the axe fx had a sampler type function so you could even store audio samples and trigger them from your midi board. this would be a great feature that i suspect has been over looked. it would be amazing though.

How do the TigerSHARC DSPs compare in performance to the various ARM processors that are in smartphones and tablets now? I would assume that the DSP's must be significantly better at handling signal processing but not sure how far the ARM processors have come with various multimedia extensions on board.

Any insight for the curious?

ARM is not necessarily a DSP and only offers limited DSP functionality compared to a SHARC (let alone a TigerSHARC). There were some DSP enhancements to some of the ARM processors, but they pale in comparison to what the AD chips give you. The SHARCs are a favored processor to use in audio applications for a reason... they just flat out perform better.

Would you recommend not to use a wireless to benefit from the impedance feature?
Or will it still have a noticable influence on these signals?

Bernd

The impedance feature will only have an audible effect if you are plugging your guitar directly in. It operates by loading down the guitar's pickups. If you have anything buffering the guitar then you won't be loading the pickups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom