Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many characters can you use for IR naming?
What improvements have been made to reverb block?
For the amp/drive blocks, does the X/Y settings include type?

Wow have to say FractalAudio (Cliff) is doing a great job answering all our questions..Big thanks! Feel a little sad getting the ultra a year ago and even though i absolutely love it, there is a lot of features in this thing that I've been waiting for.

Still want to learn more on how big the improvement on the amp sims are compared to the Ultra as I asked earlier, but I guess I wont know until I hear it?
Anyway, thanks to fractal for being so active in this forum!

Please describe how you are using Input 2 in these situations. I think you won't need to do that anymore. The II allows you to select either the front or the rear for Input 1. You can leave everything plugged in.

1) Yes. In the I/O->MIDI menu you set "USB ADAPTER MODE" to ON and it functions as a USB-to-MIDI adapter.
2) Same as before.

To clarify - It would be great if you can choose which input (1L, 1R, 2L, or 2R) which is being used to generate either an envelope or pitch detection.

Example 1:
Guitar -> Front Input 1L
Mic -> External Preamp -> Rear Input 1R
Mixer towards beginning of grid to split L (guitar) and R (mic) signal... separate processing and then guitar hard panned Output 1L and Mic hard panned Output 1R
If you want to use the envelope or pitch from the mic to modulate the guitar signal, my understanding it that this cannot be accomplished currently.

Example 2:
Guitar -> Front Input 1L
Stereo Drum Machine into Rear Input 2L/R
Both processed separately and then Guitar -> Output 1 and Drum Machine into Output 2L/R
What if you wanted the envelope from the drum machine to modulate the guitar signal.

I think it would open up a lot of creative possibilities to be able to select the exact source for the envelope and pitch detection. Either Input 1L, Input 1R, Input 2L, Input 2R.

Mine does. I set my session to 44.1K and the driver resamples the SPDIF. That's built right into the Windows audio subsystem.

It wouldn't be the computer doing it, it would be whatever interface you were using. Will have to investigate (on Mac). But really it doesn't matter much, I'm sure it sounds great via analog. I just think it's funny that many assumed you were resting on the success of Axe Fx 1 and there would not be a unit like this, and here it is. Congrats on the amazing new features, I can't wait. Must sell everything, now;)

Can you explain again the instant access knobs ..
So If I go into the amp page .those 4 knobs can be gain ,Bass, Mids ,Treble on all presets Globally
and if you go into the chorus .those functions can be 4 different parameters..

What are the list of power amp parameters now since you removed warmth and depth if I read correctly and what can you change in those .

they move around when you are editing so if you are highlighted on one parameter the main knob will control it. Four other subsequent parameter can be controlled w/ the A B C and D, they wrap around as you select different parameters.

You can also program the X any Y button to take you straight to a block and page to control those parameters quickly.

It wouldn't be the computer doing it, it would be whatever interface you were using. Will have to investigate (on Mac). But really it doesn't matter much, I'm sure it sounds great via analog. I just think it's funny that many assumed you were resting on the success of Axe Fx 1 and there would not be a unit like this, and here it is. Congrats on the amazing new features, I can't wait. Must sell everything, now;)

Not necessarily. Sometimes the interface does it, sometimes the driver does it, sometimes the audio kernel does it.

The point is, and I've said this many times, somewhere along the line there has to be some resampling. The software SRC in computers is better than SRC chips or on-board SRCs in DSPs. Even if your session was 48 kHz there would still be SRC somewhere since the clocks are asynchronous.

Cool thread.

1) Is the power tube modeling the same on the Axe II as it is in the ultra V11? If not how do they differ?

2) (subjective) How significant an advance are the 2048 cabs?

3) Do you do all the coding yourself?

Cool thread.

1) Is the power tube modeling the same on the Axe II as it is in the ultra V11? If not how do they differ?

I'm curious also ... especially #3 how do you put up with us and find time to code?? hehehe

How many characters can you use for IR naming?
What improvements have been made to reverb block?
For the amp/drive blocks, does the X/Y settings include type?

32 characters. My converter uses the file name of the wave file as the IR name.

The reverb block has some improvements in the tail decay plus a two-band parametric EQ for the wet signal with low-cut and high-cut. The EQ stuff is on a separate GUI page with a graphical display. Delay block has same thing but with adjustable slopes for the cut filters.

X/Y naturally includes type. Basically becomes a two-channel head.

Cool thread.

1) The power amp modeling on the II is much more detailed. If I had ported the whole thing to the V11 it would have used too much CPU.

2) Depends on the cab. Certain cabs benefit more than others. I started out with 8192 but didn't hear any difference so couldn't justify wasting all that space and CPU. You can hear it with room mics but the room simulation sounds nearly identical.

3) Yes. My cats help sometimes.

Assuming I will be using the 4CM, should I continue to have my X2 wireless feed the Axe's front input or can I now take advantage of the super secret sauce via the rear input 1 ?

Will we still be able to load our 1024 cab ir's? or will it be to much contrast with the new cabs ?

Q1 - Are there more opportunities to add controllers - i.e. on Threshhold of Gate.
Q2 - Is there some letency added due to the interaction of the 2 processors.
Q3 - Can Global EQs be turned off.

Sorry if some of these Qs are repeats - I just skimmed through this thread.

Q1 - Are there more opportunities to add controllers - i.e. on Threshhold of Gate.
Q2 - Is there some letency added due to the interaction of the 2 processors.
Q3 - Can Global EQs be turned on/off.

Sorry if some of these Qs are repeats - I just skimmed through this thread.

1) ANY parameter can be controlled now if I allow it. All parameters are objects now and you simply point to the object. For example, the harmony shift is now controllable even though those are integer parameters. So you can attach an expression pedal to the shift and go from a 3rd to 4th.

2) Tiny bit, couple hundred microseconds. Negligible.

3) No.

I was wondering if you comment more about the new factory IR's; were any of these captured/created specifically to integrate with the new room modelling, etc. in the II's cab emulations, and the higher resolution?

Are they new selections of cabinets, miking distances, far-field, etc. differing from the Ultra/Standard?

1) With regard to Bucket Brigade devices....does this mean the Axe Fx Ultra II will finally showcase the classic Roland Dimension D chorus ?

2) The ad-da conversion on the Ultra is great...They were touted as being on par with expensive converters..apart from the improved signal to noise ratio..was anything else improved with the new converters ?

There's now a MIN and MAX that are the actual parameter values. For example, if you want to change the delay time from 500 ms to 700 ms you simply set MIN to 500 ms and MAX to 700 ms. So 0% corresponds to 500 ms and 100% corresponds to 700 ms.

This is pretty much what I've always wanted in my Ultra. :(

Guess I'd better start saving now then... :lol

It could be done. Don't know if it would happen though. You're probably the only person who would use something like that.

Not input 2, but I have wanted to be able to have independent envelope triggering. i.e. Running mags into the front, piezo into 1R on the back, wanted to drop the low end on the piezo chain with a filter whenever there was signal coming in from the front input. But when you switch to just piezo, the envelope is still triggered by the piezo signal itself on that shared input 1 detection.

Ended up getting a suggestion here to use a sidechain/crossover/filter set up, but if we could do this kind of thing using internal controllers that have assignable inputs, that'd be sweet. :)

I was wondering if you comment more about the new factory IR's; were any of these captured/created specifically to integrate with the new room modelling, etc. in the II's cab emulations, and the higher resolution?

Are they new selections of cabinets, miking distances, far-field, etc. differing from the Ultra/Standard?

The factory IRs were simply ported from the Axe-Fx. Then we added a whole bunch of IRs from Redwirez and Ownhammer. The room modeling is algorithmic and can be applied to any IR.

You now get 50 user slots for you to put your favorites from Redwirez or Ownhammer or whoever else you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom