Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't the Axe II use the wav file or a neb file for cab IR's? It certainly would be smoother if you could use the same IR file in your DAW as the Axe II. Or....maybe someone will come up with a sys plugin for the DAW? Axe III could load these via some kind of flash memory stick, convert if need be and store in a user slot. Also, if you could store user presets on flash then you could bring them with you to the studio or gig etc. along with your IR's.

Last edited:
Why can't the Axe II use the wav file or a neb file for cab IR's? It certainly would be smoother if you could use the same IR file in your DAW as the Axe II. Or....maybe someone will come up with a sys plugin for the DAW? Axe III could load these via some kind of flash memory stick, convert if need be and store in a user slot. Also, if you could store user presets on flash then you could bring them with you to the studio or gig etc. along with your IR's.

WAV files are non-uniform. Each one is a different size. The sysex files seem to be a uniform size, thus making it much easier to plan the amount of memory needed for 50 user slots....this is just my speculation.

Likely for performance, convenience / size of code or licensing concerns. Probably simpler and more efficient for cliff to create his own than to take on the task of implementing an existing one that's probably bloated with lots of unnecessary functionality or cumbersome algorithms.

Spillover implementation is the same, has been stated somewhere.

Noted, did not found that one, was just hoping that with 2 CPU on board, delay & reverb tails would be treated/overtaken by the second CPU and/or inversely at patchchanges -> no volume issues anymore and no useless CPU% eaten by blocks used for spillover, plus much more easy to control spillover per patch (and in case of return to the patch before..) versus global settings. Having 1 CPU affected to AMP & CAB processing & the other for EFFECTS I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. If not then...maybe later.

Memory-wise, would it be possible to put a common USB thumb drive to capture all recorded loops?
What would be the purpose of recording a loop playing live at a gig and then saving the loop?

Wouldn't you just play and record that loop again at another gig or practice session.

Or is this to archive a performance? If so, why not just record the entire performance?

Forgive me if this has been asked or if it not possible, but will there be some sort of function that will tell us the volume hitting an out? I'm not sure how to word this properly, but it would help in volume balancing patches. The Axe is digital, so can it know what level is going to an out (can't there be an algorithm that can add or subtract what each item in the grid does to the volume level), so we can better approximate volume levels between patches?

Forgive me if this has been asked or if it not possible, but will there be some sort of function that will tell us the volume hitting an out? I'm not sure how to word this properly, but it would help in volume balancing patches.
The Standard and Ultra currently have output level meters (Utility menu / Status page). Output meters are of limited use in leveling patches. For example, a clean tone will have lower apparent volume than a high-gain tone, even when they're both showing the same levels. Patch leveling is best done with your ears.

The global amps thing is gone. It is now global effects. It works differently. I haven't tried them yet, but I believe the are 10 for each effect instance, including the amp blocks. So really 20. 40 if you include the X/Y. I'll need to confirm that.

does using multiple guitars still require you to reset the input level for optimum results? I'm guessing yes...??

For best signal to noise ratio yes. However, you can just set it at a good medium point between the guitars. Cliff stated the inputs are normalized so the input levels the axe-fx sees in the grid is exactly the level your guitar is putting into the input. No matter what the input level is set to the signal will be the same as you put in. Level settings are to maximize the level sent to the A/D converters.

What would be the purpose of recording a loop playing live at a gig and then saving the loop?

Wouldn't you just play and record that loop again at another gig or practice session.

Or is this to archive a performance? If so, why not just record the entire performance?

I use recorded loops to augment certain parts of songs we cover live where it would be impossible to do so with one guitar. If one can store them like in the RC-50, you can prepare a whole set of songs before hand. For example, in the song "RUN TO YOU" by Bryan Adams, I have the main rhythm riff, and the chorus strumming parts prepared to stomp on on the RC-50.

For other songs, I use the looper live. I'm not sure if I've explained myself well, but many people use that function.

The global amps thing is gone. It is now global effects. It works differently. I haven't tried them yet, but I believe the are 10 for each effect instance, including the amp blocks. So really 20. 40 if you include the X/Y. I'll need to confirm that.

Sorry Sean, I'm not following you. How do you get to 40? Basically, I need the functionality of global amps to maintain consistency from one song to the next because I program a separate preset for every song. I quickly filled up the 10 global amps in the Ultra and could easily use double. Is this method of working compromised by the Axe II?

Sorry Sean, I'm not following you. How do you get to 40? Basically, I need the functionality of global amps to maintain consistency from one song to the next because I program a separate preset for every song. I quickly filled up the 10 global amps in the Ultra and could easily use double. Is this method of working compromised by the Axe II?

What he's saying is the functionality is still there, but it was expanded to include global effects as well as amps.

The original product brief says "Those familiar with “Global Amps” from previous Axe-Fx products will find this system greatly broadened and improved, with 10 global entries for every block type in the inventory."

To me that sounds like 10 amps, 10 delays, 10 reverbs, 10 drives, 10 compressors, etc...

Cliff, can you confirm or deny?

Last edited:
They are called Global blocks in the II now. There are 10 global "memory's" for each instance of every effect/amp block.
Amp 1 has 10 and Amp 2 has 10, Cab 1 has 10 , cab 2 has 10 and so forth..... waiting for confirmation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom