Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. So that's 40 total amps if you use 10 global slots for each of the 2 amp blocks, plus X/Y. Same would go for any other block with X/Y capability where you can have 2 instances of the block.

Cliff,
Can you tell us more about the features of the Global blocks?

There are ten 'global slots' per block in the Axe-FX II. You can recall any of them on another preset and link it to the global, or recall it and *not* link it to the global or save the current setup to the global (#1-10).

It also saves the X & Y settings per block. So for blocks with X/Y in them, you can save that block to let's say the slot called Global 1. So if you call up that block, you'll have both the X & Y settings also recalled with it.

X/Y settings are saved for each instance as well.

There are ten 'global slots' per block in the Axe-FX II. You can recall any of them on another preset and link it to the global, or recall it and *not* link it to the global or save the current setup to the global (#1-10).

It also saves the X & Y settings per block. So for blocks with X/Y in them, you can save that block to let's say the slot called Global 1. So if you call up that block, you'll have both the X & Y settings also recalled with it.

Really nice. It's like having 10*2 for every block type.
This sounds like a fair amount of entries

The global amp blocks and x/y setteings are absolutely great together. I'm setting all of my patches up as two channel amps, a clean channel always X and a dirty channel always Y. It's pretty awsome. :0)
Larry

The global amp blocks and x/y setteings are absolutely great together. I'm setting all of my patches up as two channel amps, a clean channel always X and a dirty channel always Y. It's pretty awsome. :0)
Larry

I was thinking about how make best use of this. Just brainstorming ... :)

I think I'll go for 2 Amp blocks, with X/Y, and the same goes for Cab blocks.
Then use a switch to switch between Amp1+Cab1 and Amp2+Cab2.
And use a 2nd switch to choose X/Y for each combination.
This way I'll have 4 combinations per preset.

I'll probably use Amp1 and Amp2 for amps in the same league, like two Fenders, two Bogners etc.
And then maybe use X/Y for humbuckers versus single-coils. We'll see.

Might as well make patches with two amp blocks since, unless I'm grossly mistaken, it won't affect the DSP percentage... i.e. one or two amp blocks has no impact on the number of cab/fx blocks you can deploy.

I was thinking about how make best use of this. Just brainstorming ... :)

I think I'll go for 2 Amp blocks, with X/Y, and the same goes for Cab blocks.
Then use a switch to switch between Amp1+Cab1 and Amp2+Cab2.
And use a 2nd switch to choose X/Y for each combination.
This way I'll have 4 combinations per preset.

I'll probably use Amp1 and Amp2 for amps in the same league, like two Fenders, two Bogners etc.
And then maybe use X/Y for humbuckers versus single-coils. We'll see.

This is a good idea. I was thinking of something along the same lines, but instead of using a switch to go between Amp1+Cab1 and Amp2+Cab2, how about a Vol/Pan block to blend between them?

For best signal to noise ratio yes. However, you can just set it at a good medium point between the guitars. Cliff stated the inputs are normalized so the input levels the axe-fx sees in the grid is exactly the level your guitar is putting into the input. No matter what the input level is set to the signal will be the same as you put in. Level settings are to maximize the level sent to the A/D converters.
I hope you aren't saying what I think you are saying.
On my Ultra, I use the front panel Input knob as a quick and dirty means to get the same amount of
overdrive in a given patch with different guitars, eg turn it down for a guitar with EMGs, turn it up for a guitar with vintage single-coils.
Will this no longer work in the AF II and I have to edit the patch or or use an external controller on the gain parameter ?

On my Ultra, I use the front panel Input knob as a quick and dirty means to get the same amount of
overdrive in a given patch with different guitars, eg turn it down for a guitar with EMGs, turn it up for a guitar with vintage single-coils.
Will this no longer work in the AF II and I have to edit the patch or or use an external controller on the gain parameter ?

You just hit "I/O" and then turn the Value knob (the big one) and get your input level set. Boom. Done. No editing patches or anything of the sort necessary.

That is what I am saying. The input level is intended to maximize the signal to the AD converters. There is a new input trim on the amp block to do what you are talking about. The gain parameter would work as well. You could actually assign one of the ABCD buttons to the drive of the amp block.

Sorry for abusing this thread to post a wish already.

I'd like to see a MIDI CC added for MIC simulation On/Off.

I set up FR presets without mic simulation, because I often use my FR monitor as a backline amp and I like raw recordings without a mic. But for gigs (going direct into FOH) I like to add a mic sim, to get some bite in the mix.

A MIDI CC for mic simulation would allow me to simply choose between Mics On or Off.

Alternatively, a Global Mic Sim switch maybe? Just like for power amp and cab sim.
We could configure the cabs with mic simulation, and just switch it on or off when needed.
Even better if we could set this separately for Out1 and Out2, allowingto optimize the backline tone as well as the FOH tone.

I realize this can be accomplished with separate cab blocks. This would make things much easier.

Last edited:
Dear cliff,
using the ultra with a tubeamp (diezel vh4) via 4CM I noticed a rise of the noise level when I go into high gain territory with the amp (compared to using the amp alone). I solved the prob by using a splitbox after the guitar (lehle p-split) and going parallel into the ultra (input#1) and the tubeampinput, then amploop into axeinput#2, axeout#1 into amploop-return etc.. - but: this way I have no chance to use the clean/crunchchannel of the amp together with FX from the ulta BEFORE the amp.

My Question regarding the AXE-2 is:
Will it be possible to optional root the signal from the guitar (input#1) DIRECTLY WITHOUT A-D-A conversion to output(#2), which leads the signal to the tubeamp-input? (and so hopefully maintain a minimum of background-noise rising when using more amp distortion)

thank you!
dig your work!! ;)
martin

(thanks @ ORPEUS for the hint!)
... but still wondering... therefore -> bump (& cheers!)

Sorry for abusing this thread to post a wish already.

I'd like to see a MIDI CC added for MIC simulation On/Off.

I set up FR presets without mic simulation, because I often use my FR monitor as a backline amp and I like raw recordings without a mic. But for gigs (going direct into FOH) I like to add a mic sim, to get some bite in the mix.

A MIDI CC for mic simulation would allow me to simply choose between Mics On or Off.

Alternatively, a Global Mic Sim switch maybe? Just like for power amp and cab sim.
We could configure the cabs with mic simulation, and just switch it on or off when needed.
Even better if we could set this separately for Out1 and Out2, allowingto optimize the backline tone as well as the FOH tone.

I realize this can be accomplished with separate cab blocks. This would make things much easier.

You can do this with the X/Y cabinet parameter.

That is what I am saying. The input level is intended to maximize the signal to the AD converters. There is a new input trim on the amp block to do what you are talking about. The gain parameter would work as well. You could actually assign one of the ABCD buttons to the drive of the amp block.

That's a bit of a buzzkill for me. I operate the same way as rockridge, I don't want seperate patches for each guitar, nor do I want to buy a seperate controller just to continue operating as I do.

I switch guitars a lot using the same patches, and I use the input knob to keep the gain amounts consistent. I may have to rethink the Axe II if this is how it works.

D

That's a bit of a buzzkill for me. I operate the same way as rockridge, I don't want seperate patches for each guitar, nor do I want to buy a seperate controller just to continue operating as I do.

I switch guitars a lot using the same patches, and I use the input knob to keep the gain amounts consistent. I may have to rethink the Axe II if this is how it works.

D

Well your not going to be able to operate it the way you did before. The input is all abut unity gain and good AD conversion. Like I said you can assign one of the A, B, C, or D knobs to the drive parameter. You don't need to buy a separate controller to do that. Just assign the knob to the value. There are some limitations with that as it is per preset (as was pointed out to me).

Last edited:
Sorry to repeat myself again, but my question was unanswered:

can we use USB controllers like we use midi controllers? can they be powered by Axe FX II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom