Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cliff

As you sold me on the 2 some technical questions

Still 100V-110V and 220V-240V with one Axe?
How is the USB latency with a normal cable length?
Can I use editing and recording parallel through the USB?
Can I still use Midi editing ?
Can I configurate headphone output-->If I go through main amp's powr section(in my case Mark V) what will I hear on the headphones-->just the preamp section?

Thanks for a little light in the dark

Roland

Still 100-240V
USB latency is dependent on your PC.
You can edit and record simultaneously over USB.
You can still use MIDI editing.
Whatever is on Output 1 is on the phones.

2. IF and when Axe Edit gets released from the beta stage and is supported by Fractal will it only cater to the II or will Standards and Ultras be able to use all the functions?

Answered in another thread. Axe-Edit will support all three units. There will be a major release of Axe-Edit soon.

3. Regarding MFC, are there any plans to some how dedicate the line so we can stop switching cables every time we use Axe Edit?

Also answered elsewhere - There is a new dedicated ethernet port for connecting to MFC. This will also supply phantom power. Additionally, the Axe-II can use MIDI ports for communicating with the MFC as before. MIDI ports support 5 & 7 pin cables and also supply power. Pick your poison!

Re-Amping Question:

Will their be a plug-in you open in your DAW which interacts with the AXE to re-amp/tweak dry track or how does he re-amping work?
Thanks

It will show up as a 3 In, 2 Out device. For example, in Reaper I set it to three mono channels. I then play back channel 3 for reamping.

What would be the easiest way to re-amp then? If there are only 2 outs (which I assume are tied to the Main output L/R) how would the user send the DI track back into Axe II for reamping?

Is there a compare function to allow auditioning changes in patches?

Is there a gap of silence between patch changes like on the other models of 20ms or so, or has this been eliminated?

even as i type this it seems like a stupid question, but forgive me as i need to put my mind at rest...
i was on the waiting list for an ultra and as such should be gettin an axe fx II when g66 get them in, and although i think my pc is fine atm i have had a couple of issues with viruses/spyware in the past, and if im goin to be hookin my new axe up via usb and commands are going to be sent back and forth from axe edit etc, is there any chance that a virus in my pc could someone get onto my axe and mess it up?

again i am 99.9% sure that this isnt possible and no virus written for a pc would be able to affect an axe fx right? but if someone could just put my mind at rest that would be great

cheers
Adam

1) I read that one processor is for amps and one for effects. Is there any sharing of the load between processors (i.e., is there any benefit to NOT running dual amps in order to gain some CPU for effects?)

2) How will Axe-Fx mode on the MFC handle the X/Y effect options? (x/y/off, x/y only, on/off only, etc.)

3) Are the soft knobs programmable on a per-patch basis? Can a soft knob coexist with an expression pedal controlling the same parameter?

4) Will we be able to edit global amps and effects via MIDI/USB?

Regarding the new user interface. It has been the biggest beef I've had with Axe-Fx 1 and I'm not 100% sold on it on 2 either. I feel that something akin to a gamepad D-pad would've been better for the navigation (less hand movement required and durability shouldn't be a problem since gamepads take quite a lot of abuse). From what I can tell from the small pics, the button layout hasn't changed much, in other words it's still a bit confusing for all but regular Axe-Fx users. As for the A-D knobs, I understand having them away from the screen makes the display easier to read but it does require a bit back and forth to figure which knob does what.

In the user interface when you have one page open, are all the controls adjustable with the 4 knobs + value knob? In other words are there only 5 knobs per page or do you still have to go back and forth with the navigation buttons to get to the controls you need to adjust?

Does the unity gain feature mean that you no longer have to fiddle with level etc controls to keep the Axe-Fx from clipping? Is it a hardware feature or something that could be ported to the Standard and Ultra?

Which knob controls the headphone output? Is it tied to the output 1 knob for example, which would mean that you'd be twisting back and forth when you use headphones at night and say a Atomic FR during the day?

Also how's the driver support? Which Windows versions do you support? Are 64-bit versions of fully Vista/Win7 supported?

PS. Any chance of us Standard/Ultra users getting a 1024 sample version of some of the IRs chosen from RedWirez/Ownhammer packs? I can't be bothered to get them and go thru the gazillion mics/positions they offer so it would be kinda nice at least to get a list of which ones to pick.

2 amps each with 2 sets of settings - not quite the same as 4 amps.

Yes not the same at all. Right now I'm using a tube amp in an Fx Loop block to generate a 3rd amp tone (realtime) to go along with the two amps in my Ultra. I'm debating selling that amp to purchase an AxeFx II but would then want to use the Ultra to replace it and act like a 3rd amp while the AxeFx II is running two amps of its own.

If there's a way to use SPDIF to run an Ultra in an Fx Loop block on the AxeFx II, that will be tremendous. I'm certain it can be done via unbalanced connections, and it could be done balanced if the AxeFx II has balanced ins and outs for channel 2 where the Ultra doesn't. But to me it seems SPDIF is the logical choice, as it saves unnecessary D-A and A-D steps.

My curiousity is piqued from the idea of using this as a primary sound card for recording:

Can you send (via AES or SPDIF) from a, say, fireface 400 type card directly to the AxeFXII and have it send to the PC as extra inputs -- and if this is the case, is it limited to 10 total inputs (including the Axe's) or 32 or what? At 48khz, how many input channels can the Axe's USB host record out to?

Also answered elsewhere - There is a new dedicated ethernet port for connecting to MFC. This will also supply phantom power. Additionally, the Axe-II can use MIDI ports for communicating with the MFC as before. MIDI ports support 5 & 7 pin cables and also supply power. Pick your poison!

I was actually referring to the current units: Standard & Ultra. I am aware of the ethernet port and the II...

I note that there is now only one pedal jack. Does it support one pedal or two?

Disappointed to hear that the grid will be the same. I run out of lateral space before I run out of CPU on the Ultra. Will there be additional Send and Return instances to make better use of the increased CPU power?

Which knob controls the headphone output? Is it tied to the output 1 knob for example, which would mean that you'd be twisting back and forth when you use headphones at night and say a Atomic FR during the day?

UN. FRICKIN. BELIEVABLE.

PS. Any chance of us Standard/Ultra users getting a 1024 sample version of some of the IRs chosen from RedWirez/Ownhammer packs? I can't be bothered to get them and go thru the gazillion mics/positions they offer so it would be kinda nice at least to get a list of which ones to pick.

Well of course! If you can't even be bothered to turn a knob, how can anyone expect you to go through something like THAT.
:lol:lol:lol

Disappointed to hear that the grid will be the same. I run out of lateral space before I run out of CPU on the Ultra. Will there be additional Send and Return instances to make better use of the increased CPU power?

Can't you just put a Feedback send at the end of row 1 and the Feedback return at the beginning of row 2, getting almost double the number of blocks in series as you do with a single row?

Can't you just put a Feedback send at the end of row 1 and the Feedback return at the beginning of row 2, getting almost double the number of blocks in series as you do with a single row?

Of course. But there's only 1 each. And there are 4 rows. And the Axe-Fx II has more horsepower. That's why the question is about additional Send and Return instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom