Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
even as i type this it seems like a stupid question, but forgive me as i need to put my mind at rest...
i was on the waiting list for an ultra and as such should be gettin an axe fx II when g66 get them in, and although i think my pc is fine atm i have had a couple of issues with viruses/spyware in the past, and if im goin to be hookin my new axe up via usb and commands are going to be sent back and forth from axe edit etc, is there any chance that a virus in my pc could someone get onto my axe and mess it up?

again i am 99.9% sure that this isnt possible and no virus written for a pc would be able to affect an axe fx right? but if someone could just put my mind at rest that would be great

cheers
Adam
There's no way for the virus to get onto the AXE FX, but you may experience bad connection/lags while working with the AXE. Just format the HDD and do a clean OS install. Why have anything on your computer that could potentially mess it up when you need it most (audio production)?

Exellent thread Cliff!

1. Is the preset size bigger, so you can add alot of modifiers at high CPU loads without problems?

2. Is there any chance at all of a grid expansion?

3. Are we going to get 4 drive blocks per preset? I know there is a X/Y feature, but 4 independet drive blocks would be great ( I know alot of people want this).

Last edited:
Can I send patch changes from a sequencer or keyboard to the Axe-FX II via MIDI and if so, what's the patch change latency?

Of course. But there's only 1 each. And there are 4 rows. And the Axe-Fx II has more horsepower. That's why the question is about additional Send and Return instances.

You can make full use of the grid using Send/Return and combining the placement of effects in series and in parallel rows (that's where you need 4 rows).
For example you can put 2 delays and reverb in one column.

Re-Amping Question:

Will their be a plug-in you open in your DAW which interacts with the AXE to re-amp/tweak dry track or how does he re-amping work?
Thanks

The third channel on the USB output (to the computer) is the raw data from the Instrument Input. You record this. You then play this track back into the AFXII and set the Input Source to USB. Then tweak until you get the sound you want. When you are happy, record the first two channels which are the processed audio. You can save the raw track if you want to go back later and reamp the track again.

The third channel on the USB output (to the computer) is the raw data from the Instrument Input. You record this. You then play this track back into the AFXII and set the Input Source to USB. Then tweak until you get the sound you want. When you are happy, record the first two channels which are the processed audio. You can save the raw track if you want to go back later and reamp the track again.

sweet.

Easy enough. Thanks!

You just might get me to buy one of these things after all. The ease of use for recording seems great.

The USB / reamping feature is the killer for me. It sounds great. I have been put off reamping with the ultra - this makes it so easy. I want one!

1) I read that one processor is for amps and one for effects. Is there any sharing of the load between processors (i.e., is there any benefit to NOT running dual amps in order to gain some CPU for effects?)

2) How will Axe-Fx mode on the MFC handle the X/Y effect options? (x/y/off, x/y only, on/off only, etc.)

3) Are the soft knobs programmable on a per-patch basis? Can a soft knob coexist with an expression pedal controlling the same parameter?

4) Will we be able to edit global amps and effects via MIDI/USB?

1) DSP A handles effects. DSP B does just amp modeling. The new modeling algorithms use over 40% of the DSP processing power. Two amp blocks would use over 80% of one DSP so that's why the amp blocks get their own DSP. This frees DSP A for effects. You can easily run a dozen effects or more now.

2. The new MFC firmware will handle all that. You can set up an IA switch to control XY. X=green, Y=red.

3. You can assign the four Quick Control knobs as expression knobs. They function exactly the same as a pedal except they're knobs on the front.

4. Eventually I hope.

I'm sold on the technical side of this thing. (literally, I've already sold my old gear to finance it.)

I just want some release details. (when and how many, and when do we get them)

I don't have the latest version of Pro Tools. Can anyone comment on whether it will accommodate this?

Terry.

I'm sold on the technical side of this thing. (literally, I've already sold my old gear to finance it.)

I just want some release details. (when and how many, and when do we get them)

He's already stated this thread is for technical questions only, so it doesn't look like he's going to field availability concerns at this time.

How many presets will the new unit have? Are all the presets that come from the factory being designed from the ground up? Did any of the beta-testers / pros have a hand in designing their favorite presets?

Exellent thread Cliff!

1. Is the preset size bigger, so you can add alot of modifiers at high CPU loads without problems?

2. Is there any chance at all of a grid expansion?

3. Are we going to get 4 drive blocks per preset? I know there is a X/Y feature, but 4 independet drive blocks would be great ( I know alot of people want this).

1. Yes. No chance of exceeding the storage space.
2. No.
3. No.

Nice!

I don't have the latest version of Pro Tools. Can anyone comment on whether it will accommodate this?

Terry.

The latest protools (9) can use ASIO so it can accommodate this. You would probably need a firmware update for the hardware. you can go to AVID's site and find out.

Hi Cliff, Awesome looking product and a great thread!

In the release it mentions that the Filters can operate up to 24db per octave. I just wondered what the minimum slope would be?

Thanks

Spence

Can we get more detailed info on improvement to the CAB section.
I understand you can select room size and mic position.
How is this achieved?
Is it like room reflection with early reflection or is it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom