Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

Thanks rex. Is it the case that the reset does something fundamental in terms of any new or tweaked algorithms or is it the case that the reset simply takes all settings back to a potetially new default value?
The second thing. The reset simply takes all settings back to a potentially-new default value.

It would be nice, but it could also lead you astray.

Example: new firmware features improved power amp modeling. The new modeling results in a different default value for Dynamic Damping. But you have Dynamic Damping dialed in just where you want it, so you set your Axe to leave that parameter alone when resetting the amp. But because of the new algorithm, your favorite setting for Dynamic Damping produces a different result. Not only do you not get to hear what the model is "supposed to" sound like, but you don't get your old sound back, either.

I'd rather keep it the way it is. Reset all those advanced parameters. If I like what Dynamic Damping does, I can dial it in properly with the new firmware/modeling.
Nobody and nothing would force you to not reset everything just as you have always done, but I would prefer to be able to choose not to reset master volume, input trim, presence and GEQ. Even if they could use a little adjustment after the update, chances are that my original settings are a better starting point than the default values.

Nobody and nothing would force you to not reset everything just as you have always done, but I would prefer to be able to choose not to reset master volume, input trim, presence and GEQ. Even if they could use a little adjustment after the update, chances are that my original settings are a better starting point than the default values.
Absolutely, reseting is useless until you create a totally new preset

Understood. As I said above:
It could less me astray, but it is guaranteed to save me time.

I have chosen a one preset per song strategy, so at any given time, I will have ~40 presets that I regularly gig with, half of them use the amp block x/y feature, so it is roughly 60 sets of amp block settings that I have to update with every firmware update. I will take the chance of being led astray and save lots of time. That also leaves more time to adjust things that actually need adjustment rather than just spending time, setting parameters back to where they were.

OK this is odd, although i may have missed some notes on the new FW and Axe-Edit, but the value windows above moter drive and time time constant show blank (no value or alpha/numerals displayed).
I have auto-DLed and installed the latest as of Friday night.
I have also run 'refresh after new FW' in Axe-Edit.
I can enter a number into the window directly but it doesn't take and the dials don't change.
Is this expected with Q7.02 and the latest Axe-Edit version at this time?

OK this is odd, although i may have missed some notes on the new FW and Axe-Edit, but the value windows above moter drive and time time constant show blank (no value or alpha/numerals displayed).
I can enter a number into the window directly but it doesn't take and the dials don't change.
That's exactly what I saw. I reverted back to the beta and then reloaded the official version and the numbers came back!.

Also (and this could be me because I can't be bothered to roll back again and test it) it seems my volume issue has gone away as part of this problem.

Re install the firmware - the first post in this thread has the files you need. Everything should work correctly after that.

I'm getting some unexpected behavior with motor drive in the amp block. I can crank it up all the way and the meter is only showing me about 0.5 db of compression. When I use the cab block I can easily get 4-6 db. I'm using the Brit silver and I did a deselect, reselect. Anyone else come across this or have an explanation?

I used 7.02 at BP last night and the sound quality killed! Playing a show tomorrow.

I'm getting some unexpected behavior with motor drive in the amp block. I can crank it up all the way and the meter is only showing me about 0.5 db of compression. When I use the cab block I can easily get 4-6 db. I'm using the Brit silver and I did a deselect, reselect. Anyone else come across this or have an explanation?

I used 7.02 at BP last night and the sound quality killed! Playing a show tomorrow.

Make sure you've selected/highlighted the motor drive control on the front panel of the AxeFX otherwise the meter you are looking at is the B+ voltage drop.

I would prefer to be able to choose not to reset master volume, input trim, presence and GEQ. Even if they could use a little adjustment after the update, chances are that my original settings are a better starting point than the default values.
I only use a few adv params occasionally but I do use Input Trim, Boost/Cut/Fat/Bright switches, and Presence a lot. And AFAIK, the updated algorithms don't change those under the covers, so I wish those first page controls didn't get reset w/ an update, or that I could choose to not reset them. I'd rather continue w/ my previous settings than have to go from the defaults again.

I only use a few adv params occasionally but I do use Input Trim, Boost/Cut/Fat/Bright switches, and Presence a lot. And AFAIK, the updated algorithms don't change those under the covers, so I wish those first page controls didn't get reset w/ an update, or that I could choose to not reset them. I'd rather continue w/ my previous settings than have to go from the defaults again.

I use the windows snipping tool to take a screenshot of my first panel controls before I reset the amp block. Then it's easy just to put it next to axe edit and punch the numbers in. These days though I typically won't bother because I'm just just adjusting the basic controls.

Hi guys, firstly I'd like to thank all the regular posters who have the patience to kindly answer the same questions over and over. Your help is very much appreciated, by me at least. :)

I have been away from the Internet for a couple of weeks and haven't been able to keep up to date with the recent firmware update threads but now I'm back and would like to take my XL from V6.01 to V7.02. But just started reading the first V7.00 and holy cow, these threads are looooong, and I've got to get through V7.01 and V7.02. I'd like to do the update tomorrow as its my only free day.

I'm just wondering if any kind fellow fractalite can just give a couple of major bullet points of things to keep in mind. Basically, what is your "......Oh, and don't forget to !!!!...."

BTW I'm all backed up and have read the release notes but could really do with some experienced pointers from those that have already trod the boards.

If this is one request too far, then I'll just have to pull an "all nighter" and plough through 1000+ post and try to sort out the golden nuggets from the general chat.

Please have mercy on my sanity.:)

I Got the same kind of behavior. Nice boost/gritty tone with the motor in the cab (at 4) and nothing to compare when using motor in the amp bloc: as you stated not the same ballsy sound... don't know why the effect is not the same.

./..would like to take my XL from V6.01 to V7.02. But just started reading the first V7.00 and holy cow, these threads are looooong, and I've got to get through V7.01 and V7.02. I'd like to do the update tomorrow as its my only free day.

I'm just wondering if any kind fellow fractalite can just give a couple of major bullet points of things to keep in mind. Basically, what is your "......Oh, and don't forget to !!!!...."

Please have mercy on my sanity.:)
Here's a sanity saver for you: all you really need to do is read the release notes (they'll tell you if you need to do anything different) and back up your stuff. Same as always. :)

Here's a sanity saver for you: all you really need to do is read the release notes (they'll tell you if you need to do anything different) and back up your stuff. Same as always. :)

Ha, got it. Not sure why all those threads had so many replies when this is all it takes :):)

Not sure why all those threads had so many replies when this is all it takes :):)
There are lots of replies because 1) there are some really sweet improvements here that people love to talk about, and 2) there's always room to refine your knowledge.

Remember that most Axe owners aren't even forum members. They never see these discussions, and they manage to update just fine. :)

There are lots of replies because 1) there are some really sweet improvements here that people love to talk about, and 2) there's always room to refine your knowledge.

Remember that most Axe owners aren't even forum members. They never see these discussions, and they manage to update just fine. :)
I refuse to believe this.....the Edge, Petrucci, Andy Summers , and everyone who ever bought a FAS product is reading every word i type.......:rolleyes::eek:

Only exception (of the amp models I tested) might be Brit Brown, which sounds different than before, and now needs Drive and Presence cranked. And I don't care as much for the Wreckers as I used to.
these plus the CCV and Cornford are so far the only models that have been mentioned to sound a bit "off". maybe some internal values got messed up, maybe not. has happened in the past and might be a good thing to bring to Cliff's attention for a double check...

Back
Top Bottom