Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

So if you want speaker distortion on on output 1 but not on output 2 you use motor drive in the cab block I guess.
(It´s a little confusing. I read that there was also a parameter called motor drive in the amp block)
Speaker drive is speaker drive, motor drive is motor drive and is present in cab AND amp blocks... 2 different things

just gone to Q7.02
for the first time in quite a few firmware updates the tone change for my presets is significant..
I'm going to have to do some work on these..
the low end is very strong now and will need calming down..
has a very nice feel to it though

just gone to Q7.02
for the first time in quite a few firmware updates the tone change for my presets is significant..
I'm going to have to do some work on these..
the low end is very strong now and will need calming down..
has a very nice feel to it though
Yeah, Cliff did intimate that that this is a particularly radical upgrade , and many of us (well, me at least) are finding retweaking the AMP blks when fully reset yields the most effective results.

One thing that took awhile to sink in, and made the subject much simpler for me, was getting a mental picture of what "compression" refers to.

Picture dynamics as variation in loudness. Compression means reducing the amount of variation of parts of a signal. "Louder" will often mean "better" in terms of that part of the music, for one thing because its easier for our ears to follow that element, which one hopes is a musical element either rhythmically, melodically, or harmonically.

What makes the subject interesting, and what often takes some thought to get used to, is the idea that this whole subject of compression falls within a realm that is highly non-linear. Non linearity normally refers to measurements where the values one is measuring do not change at a constant rate (in the research I do this can involve rates that increase and then decrease...but most often when something is said to be non-linear it is being measured relative to a single scale, of increase/decrease and when it does not decrease/increase at a constant rate, but at some geometric rate, it is non-linear).

What's important with dynamics involves more than this simple form of non-linearity. It involves the PERCEIVED "space" within the "loudness-quietness realm" that you may want to manage as a musician, producer, mixing board operator, or such. So non-linearity can also be a way of talking about EXPERIENTIAL differences, and not just physically measurable differences (in terms of rates of increase).

An analogy is where a musician who does not do mixing & engineering is thinking in terms of the simple turning of dials on his mixing board. He should be able to coax something nice by simply raising and lowering the levels between the tracks, but for some reason he cannot. This is because the mixing board is designed to represent things in terms of physical and electronic properties. The aesthetic properties are a whole different set of properties, and no one has any way of measuring them, but the talk of compression is an attempt to describe aesthetic IDEALS and basic aesthetic IDEAS of one form or another.

I would liken this to a case where the non-mixing musician has 10 apples, and knows that he wants to reduce them so that there are approximately 5 apples. But since apples are more of a physical idea, rather than the complex aesthetic idea that the mixing engineer is capable of, his idea of apples is a rigid idea. 10 apples equals 10 apples. If he were a chef he might think of them differently.

To a chef, although 5 apples might be half as many apples as 10 apples, if you actually look at your apples, there are different sized ones; in other words the measurement you want to do might be depending on something non-linear, i.e. where one method of equivalency might result in a different answer than another method of equivalency. As I said, the measurements one is attempting to do in terms of improving the aesthetics of various elements of "loudness-quietness realm" are an unknown, and mixing professionals are artists, who are skilled at working within this field based upon their expertise. They realize, when they're truly expert, that loudness is not "better". But that using loudness-quietness is one of the most powerful tools in the palette.

There are a whole series of "firsts" in the manipulation of this loudness-quietness realm dating way back - I've only begun to understand some of them. There are a lot of genre specific techniques. There are also techniques specific to the venue where listening takes place. In listening to classical music in factory-ready car speakers, if the music isn't "compressed" there will be parts where you won't hear what's going on - at all, against the distractions of the outside noises.

Playing guitar, similarly, especially in a single line solo, there are dips in the volume of the notes, after the attack portion of the sound, that will get swallowed up by the distractions of rock music, i.e. drums and bass. Every single genre of music requires a different take on what the aesthetic elements are and how they should best co-exist - which is why its so much fun to begin to use and understand compression.

The AXE FX virtual optical compressors, although making the loudness more consistent and the trail off much slower, has output that contains IMHO much more of the nuance of the actual dynamics. The benefit is that it practically becomes a synthesizer at higher ratios; one can create smooth and flowing timbres.. A 10,000% improvement in that particular genre-specific use, of using a compressor to increase sustain - because for me it prevents the dynamic dullness of too much compression.
Thanks. I will go over this a few times to understand it fully. Thanks for your time on this post

You will absolutely notice some significant changes in presets when you upgrade to Q7. I always copy x to y in the amp block, then change the amp type in x to get the updated info, then change back to the original amp. I'll then toggle back and forth between x and y and put my settings for a few things back where I had them. After that I'll listen and make whatever adjustments seem necessary. It is a process and I have a lot of presets I've made. It takes some serious time, but my hell are the results amazing.

I still haven't tried the new compressors. Compressors are just a tough thing to get right imo, so I seem to put off adjusting them. Soon though. The new motor drive is amazing. I'm running FRFR, so I'm using it in the amp block. Pretty much have it between 4-7 in all presets, depending on the amp. The meter certainly helps. I almost always have to adjust the level in the amp block after that to get the volume right again. Unreal results. I've noticed more and more distinction between the different amp types than ever before.

ok… so I tried something real simple..
just reset the amps I use but without putting back my own settings that were changed [GEQ, MV, the switches]
the amps seemed to 'wake up' and get clearer
I've always used quite low MV settings with the Herbert and 5153Red [down around 3.5]
the new settings up at 4.0 seemed to decongest the low end
this meant that the corrective EQ I had in the GEQ was now almost redundant..
all I put back was a -2.0 cut in the 500 band [which is 2dB less than previously]
also I turned off the bright switches in both amps because I like these amps with the boost switch on..
bright and boost together I felt was kinda too much

so… minimal tweaking and the presets seem ok so far…
a little different but certainly not in a bad way..
I'll know more when:
- I've practiced the set a few times in the studio to see how they behave with the morphing
- I've had a chance to wind em up to gig volume through my backline

ok… so I tried something real simple..
just reset the amps I use but without putting back my own settings that were changed [GEQ, MV, the switches]
the amps seemed to 'wake up' and get clearer
I've always used quite low MV settings with the Herbert and 5153Red [down around 3.5]
the new settings up at 4.0 seemed to decongest the low end
this meant that the corrective EQ I had in the GEQ was now almost redundant..
all I put back was a -2.0 cut in the 500 band [which is 2dB less than previously]
also I turned off the bright switches in both amps because I like these amps with the boost switch on..
bright and boost together I felt was kinda too much

so… minimal tweaking and the presets seem ok so far…
a little different but certainly not in a bad way..
I'll know more when:
- I've practiced the set a few times in the studio to see how they behave with the morphing
- I've had a chance to wind em up to gig volume through my backline
I've noticed that. After resetting the amp, things just get "better," and my old tweaks are mostly irrelevant.

I've noticed that. After resetting the amp, things just get "better," and my old tweaks are mostly irrelevant.
hmmm… things weren't better, just different…
I wasn't liking the low end in Q7.02.. it was too woolly and boomy
but the feel is lovely..
so… I went back to Q6.02, reloaded my old presets
then up to Q7.02.. but did not reset amps this time..
interestingly, my Q6.02 presets untouched in Q7.02 seemed to have gained something [I think something nice going on in the highs, and it has a slightly softer feel] but retained the tightness they had in Q6.02..
plus I get access to the new toys in Q7.02
win win I reckon

EDIT: I'm personally not all that fussed about the amps being 'more real' in whatever firmware..
but I am very interested in carving out my own voice by whatever means real or otherwise..
my Q6.02 presets are really hitting the spot for me..

Last edited:
well said @solo-act you can't expect someone else's comp settings to work for you. too many variables. experiment with extreme settings, you'll find where you like it
I also noticed from the very beginning that the AXE compressor settings are different than my DBX. Watching the meters on the AXE, -20 on the DBX is equivalent to around -40 on the AXE. My AXE settings are usually -40, 3.5, 7ms, 200 to 250ms.

I have to say that I'm loving the new compressors with cleanish amps. Particularly, a Gretsch 6120 into the Tweed Deluxe slightly dirty with Optical Compressor 1 (left pretty much at the default settings) is a completely kick-ass rockabilly/roots rock sound. The compressor is the secret sauce, it gives that tight snappiness you hear in those older recordings and you expect with that genre.

Thanks. I will go over this a few times to understand it fully. Thanks for your time on this post
I'm basically just venting, so its no problem at all.

By the way, does anyone have a setup using two compression blocks, with the first setup as a non-optical type and the latter as optical? I'm trying it now, and I must say, its very unique. In my case I've got a studio compressor at a ratio of 2, followed by an optical compressor (type 2) set at 5.5 (into a T808 drive block with low cut at 700 hz and high cut at 850 hz into a Brit 800. )

Last edited:
hmmm… things weren't better, just different…
I wasn't liking the low end in Q7.02.. it was too woolly and boomy
but the feel is lovely..
so… I went back to Q6.02, reloaded my old presets
then up to Q7.02.. but did not reset amps this time..
interestingly, my Q6.02 presets untouched in Q7.02 seemed to have gained something [I think something nice going on in the highs, and it has a slightly softer feel] but retained the tightness they had in Q6.02..
plus I get access to the new toys in Q7.02
win win I reckon

EDIT: I'm personally not all that fussed about the amps being 'more real' in whatever firmware..
but I am very interested in carving out my own voice by whatever means real or otherwise..
my Q6.02 presets are really hitting the spot for me..

so… my "not amp reset" Q6.02 presets in Q7.02
which I've just realised are actually "not amp reset" Q303 presets
EDIT: thinking on it, I may not have reset my amp blocks as far back as FW18

sounding and feeling beautiful…
here's what I think I'm hearing / feeling
- tight crisp low end with a slightly smaller / shorter bloom [which I really like]
- a little extra something happening in the hi's.. it's not brighter.. just seems there something a little different going on up there in a very cool way.. it sounds a little more aggressive but not in a 'more hi's' way.. just that there is something more / more complex going on
- the feel is smoother in a very noticeable way with the hi-gain.. feels very slick
- very responsive to dynamics [even the hi-gain].. the location [along the string] and picking strength seem to pull out more tonal colours.. which is something I really love to exploit
- the clean amp [which I like to set ever so slightly on the aggressive side] is wonderful

liking this hugely

Yeah, the high end is definitely changed for the better. It's rich, not piercing. As you say, aggressive but in a nice way.

Am I crazy or does increasing motor drive somewhat enhance the mid range a bit? I've noticed that after using the motor drive feature I've had to dial down the mids a tad on some presets. Not a problem at all, just wondering if I'm a loon.

I am not seeing the usual monumental number of accolades that are found in previous updates. The forum seems to indicate that this is by far the best FW ever created AND that is is also rather difficult to find the so-called sweet spot for many presets (and time consuming). Is this an accurate summary? I rely on you astute professionals to guide me in this process. That is, if it is difficult for you masters then it will likely be a fruitless endeavor for someone with little experience. Then again, perhaps many are on spring break. Please, this is not a criticism so spare the ammunition. I sincerely love ALL of my Fractal equipment (2 XL+; Mark II; MC-101; and that old favorite) and I wish to have the answer from the wizards and masters of the Fractal universe...

Back
Top Bottom